Author Topic: assignable functions  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Ken Stenzel

assignable functions
« on: August 09, 2023, 07:10:09 PM »
probably something simple. I keep changing assignable functions but they keep reverting back to default settings. What am I doing wrong?
Kenneth Stenzel

Re: assignable functions
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2023, 07:22:22 PM »
Hi Ken,

After you create an assignable function button, you must save the entire setup as a Registration. When you press the Memory button, make sure Assignable Buttons is checked off.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2023, 10:46:18 PM »
probably something simple. I keep changing assignable functions but they keep reverting back to default settings. What am I doing wrong?

Assignments survive a power cycle. Therefore something, likely a registration, is changing them back.

You’ll need to go through your registrations and tell them to stop changing your assignments (by re-memorizing with the Assignment box unchecked).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2023, 11:17:23 PM »
Woops! Thanks for clearing that up, Fred. I always assumed you had to save that setting on a per registration basis. I see it's a global function. Sorry for the error, Ken! Fred is our resident expert on registrations ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2023, 02:33:53 AM »
Lee,
Unless I am reading this thread wrong, I think you were correct on your initial response: "you must save the entire setup as a Registration" which is what Fred is saying. I don't think there is a global setting for assignables.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2023, 03:10:59 AM »
Thanks, Rich. Yes, I suppose we're both right. Registrations are at the heart of the Genos and one must be sure to ensure the correct parameters are selected in the Memory dialog box. That way, regardless of what a power cycle does, the registrations always bat last ;D.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2023, 03:48:53 AM »
Assignments stay assigned until you, or a registration, changes them.

There's no requirement to store assignments in a registration, although it's good practice to do so in your Setup registration (in case they're changed by a rogue registration).

If your assignments are "returning to default", it's being done by a registration. You need to fix the offending registration(s).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Ken Stenzel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 01:53:14 PM »
Trying to understand this...  Ever since I had my Genos my assigned settings never changed...until now. So What you are saying is I have a registration that is changing my assignables back to default?
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2023, 02:40:08 PM »
Trying to understand this...  Ever since I had my Genos my assigned settings never changed...until now. So What you are saying is I have a registration that is changing my assignables back to default?

Hi Ken,

When you close the Assignable display after changing settings (by pressing the EXIT button or touching the X icon), the current settings are automatically saved in System Setup. However, by calling up Registrations in which different settings are memorized, the Assignable Buttons settings can be changed again at any time. So you most likely have one or more such registrations.

The same applies to the Pedal and Live Control settings. Therefore, when creating/changing Registrations, make sure that the "Live Control", "Foot Pedals" and "Assignable Buttons" are NOT ticked in the memory dialog if you do not want these settings to be memorized in the Registrations.

In order to be able to quickly return to your preferred Assignable settings, it is advisable to create one or more so-called "Setup Registrations" that can be used to reset the settings in question.

By the way, to temporarily ensure that certain settings cannot be changed by Registrations, you can use the FREEZE function:

- Make sure the FREEZE button is off
- Press "Direct Access > Freeze" to bring up the Freeze Settings.
- Make sure that only the desired checkmarks are set there (e.g. "Assignable Buttons") and close the Freeze display again to save the current settings.
- If FREEZE is switched on later (LED lights up), the desired settings are protected from changes by Registrations (in the current session).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 12:27:41 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2023, 07:11:48 PM »
Good stuff, Chris. Also Ken - when you name your Setup Registration, add an underscore to the beginning of it. Make it "_Setup Registration" without the quotation marks. Doing so makes it stay in the number 1 position on the Registration screen.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2023, 08:26:25 PM »
What you are saying is I have a registration that is changing my assignables?

Yes.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ