Author Topic: Faulty E473 Screen(s)  (Read 4614 times)

Offline SciNote

Re: Faulty E473 Screen(s)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2022, 05:43:55 AM »
Very interesting find.  I guess that's another reason to keep using my nearly 9 year old PSR-E433.  Theories posted in the comments indicate that this could be a problem with the circuitry that feeds voltage to and controls the LCD, and not with the LCD screen itself -- especially since the EW425 uses the same LCD display and has apparently not had this problem.

Still, Yamaha should own up to this and make it right -- even if they have to delay the service due to chip shortages.  At least admit there's a problem and state that they will honor a free repair, done at any local authorized Yamaha service center, once the necessary parts become available.

Many people in the comments were saying how they would now go to other keyboard brands, but there just isn't another keyboard in this price range from another brand that offers the ease of use, sound editing, and sound quality that the Yamaha PSR-E400 series keyboards do.  I don't think the Korgs (EK50, i3) and Roland (EX50 -- interesting that it's model number is so close to the Korg) have any real tone editing in this price range (someone correct if I'm wrong) other than maybe adding some effects.  And while the Casios certainly have the hardware to do this, they either put it in keyboards with confusing interfaces with little live control (CTX3000, 5000) or put it in keyboards with such limited front panel controls that you cannot go from selecting style control to selecting registrations without changing the mode of the soft-key buttons first.

Once you get used to having those filter and envelope synthesizer controls, along with the live-control knobs, it's hard to imagine going back.  Then again, even there, Yamaha made some very questionable choices by dropping the envelope control option from the live control knobs and also by moving those knobs to a very inconvenient place near the back of the keyboard.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 05:50:08 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios