Author Topic: Converting ppf/ppi/cpi voice files to vce  (Read 3599 times)

Converting ppf/ppi/cpi voice files to vce
« on: August 13, 2022, 11:11:20 AM »
Hi Team,

I have a GENOS and very much interested to covert .ppf/.ppi or .cpi  files to .vce ? Kindly help if any software there to convert.

Kindly help if any software there to convert.

Thank you and appreciate.

Regards,

Sarath.

Offline EileenL

Re: Converting ppf/ppi/cpi voice files to vce
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2022, 12:22:14 PM »
VCE is an extension meaning voice. You already have the voices in the PPF and CPF packs. You can of course use voice set to edit them and they are then saved as USER VCE files but you must always have the packs loaded to use these.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2022, 10:23:10 PM »
Don't you just love it when you answer a question and the member who asked it dose not even respond to let you know if you have helped.

The following users thanked this post: sarathnmusic

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2022, 10:32:41 PM »
Don't you just love it when you answer a question and the member who asked it dose not even respond to let you know if you have helped.

Yup. a few times now people asked me to find a specific sound they were looking for, and upon finding it for them, most said "nevermind" rather than thanks (1 person did say thanks though). *shrug*. But I had 1 worse; where someone complained that medelli has a function Yamaha doesn't have, which is accompaniment expression, and I replied Yamaha has had that since at least Tyros 4, then explained where to find access that function. Rather than saying thanks? They replied with "You're wrong, they've had it since T3" (which misses the point, they claimed Yamaha didn't have it at *all*).

:p

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2022, 10:42:27 AM »
Dear All,

Thank you for your kind replies.

This is regarding my YAMAHA GENOS.

Please can you clarify, how is that there are vce (voice) files I had downloaded from certain links that I found in this forum. My question is that If I have vce files (voice) in a USB drive, I do not require to use YEM. If I have vce file in a USB I can save my favourite voices to the user and from the user I can save it to my registration banks. The moment you load a voice pack through YEM the previous voices which I had in my user gets erased as well as the registration memory voices. As long as it is in a USB (vce files) the voices will never get erased. I have saved some favourite voices from a voice pack from expansion manager. If there is another voice which I like, Eg. Grand Piano voices and If I load that grand piano set through YEM, I loose all my previous voices which I had edited and saved in the user file and therefore I am stuck again. This is why I f prefer to have a vce file downloaded to a USB and plugged in and kept in the keyboard and all the necessary voices that I need to play is available in my user file and in my registration banks.

Thank you for reading my message and any advice or a solution is greatly appreciated from you all. :) 8)

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2022, 11:58:37 AM »
I think we may be getting confused now as to what is a sample voice and what is a User voice. If you tweak any on board voice and then save it as a user it will always work the way you say it dose. A sampled voice is one that is not on the keyboard and therefore needs to be loaded into the expansion section of the keyboard to play. When you have all your packs loaded into the YEM you decide which ones you have enough space for and put a tick in those packs. 3Gb is quite a lot of memory and you can install quite a few packs. You now make an install pack and all of the sounds you are going to use will be loaded in. Once you have done a full install it is then possible to use the Quick load system to add to these provided you have the space to do so.
  Hope this makes things clearer.

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2022, 12:40:47 PM »
You just can't do what you are trying to do, i.e. save the voices to USB then delete the associated wave expansion data.

Essentially a VCE file contains these things:

+ A pointer to a sample waveform, which may be in preset memory or expansion memory; NOT the wave data itself - just a lookup pointer
+ Configuration data which sets up the envelopes, LFO, etc for all the elements
+ Some SYSEX data which configures the things you can adjust with the panel Voice Set controls

So you see the VCE file itself does *not* contain the actual sample wave. It doesn't really matter where the VCE file is loaded from. What matters is 'where is the sample wave it's pointing at'. VCE files you find on this forum will almost always be pointing at the preset wave forms, so that they always work, whether they are in User or USB.

When you install an expansion pack, it loads the sample waves into the expansion memory. But you can't play those waves without a VCE file that points at them. So the expansion packs also install a set of VCE files into the user expansion memory. Those VCE files point at the expansion memory, and will only work properly if the correct sample wave is also installed in the expansion memory. If you save an expansion VCE to user it will still work, but only while the sample wave is also installed.
Genos

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2022, 08:24:55 PM »
At the risk of TMI, I'd like to add to Derek's spot-on response.

A VCE file is actually a MIDI file in disguise. If you change the file extension from VCE to MID, you can open a VCE file in a software editor (DAW) and look around.

As we all know, a MIDI file does not make any sound by itself. It is not the same as a WAV audio file, for example. Samples -- or more precisely, waveforms -- are digital audio and certainly not MIDI. Waveforms (digital audio) are stored in expansion memory.

The "pointer" to which Derek refers is actually a MIDI bank and program change message sequence. That's why an expansion pack voice with its own waveforms must be installed into expansion memory to be fully accessible and synthesized correctly. If the arranger cannot find the selected patch (Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program Change number) in the VCE file, the arranger will substitute.

The installation process (AKA YEM) installs the meta-information needed to map the program change numbers to waveforms in expansion memory. The meta-information is in ppf/cpi/ppi, but not VCE.

Hope this info helps -- pj
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:28:25 PM by pjd »

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2022, 08:55:17 AM »
Dear Gentleman,

Thank you and appreciate for the valuable information given to me.

Regards,

Sarath