Author Topic: XLR input not working for me  (Read 1835 times)

Offline johnzutzbg

XLR input not working for me
« on: August 10, 2022, 03:54:36 AM »
I have always used the 1/4 in. input. I now have the Shure SM7B, and it came with an XLR cable. The XLR cable end will not go into the input on the Genos.

I would appreciate any assistance anyone can give.

Thank you!

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Re: XLR input not working for me
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 05:17:55 AM »
Can you post a picture of the XLR end of the cable?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 05:30:05 AM »
Ok...It must have been a very long day. I was putting the cable in upside down.  :-[ :-[

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2022, 12:51:12 PM »
Don't beat yourself up too badly, Johnzutzbg. Those xlr/1/4inch combo jacks don't look like they can receive and xlr plug at first glance. Glad you were successful 👍.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 04:24:14 PM »
John, If the Genos is your first experience with the SM7B, you may find that it needs a boatload of gain to get it to good levels for recording or live use. I don't know the specs for the Genos mic input, but if you should seem to have some issues of the mic not getting levels you're used to, it's that the SM7B has a rather low output. There are ways to 'fix' the low output by use of inline preamps to boost levels if you find levels low.
The SM7B is a great sounding mic and I enjoy mine. 

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2022, 08:50:11 PM »
I was going to say it's a combo jack designed to accept XLR and 1/4", but you realized that already! ;D

Yeah, like Lee said, a *lot* of people look at that jack and don't think an XLR will fit; it's quite normal!

And it's true the gain might be a bit on the low side, but before you purchase a mic preamp, crank up the mic gain on the Genos, and then apply the compressor as a compander: combination compressor/expander. High compression ration *and* output... make sure your speakers are turned off/down while you're doing that! (or else you could get massive feedback). It *might* be enough, depending on how loudly you sing (but I sing *very* loudly)

Mark

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2022, 03:09:21 PM »
I just revisited this thread after a few months. I ended up getting a cloudlifter, and it works well with the Shure and the Genos.

I was going to say it's a combo jack designed to accept XLR and 1/4", but you realized that already! ;D

Yeah, like Lee said, a *lot* of people look at that jack and don't think an XLR will fit; it's quite normal!

And it's true the gain might be a bit on the low side, but before you purchase a mic preamp, crank up the mic gain on the Genos, and then apply the compressor as a compander: combination compressor/expander. High compression ration *and* output... make sure your speakers are turned off/down while you're doing that! (or else you could get massive feedback). It *might* be enough, depending on how loudly you sing (but I sing *very* loudly)

Mark