Author Topic: DGX - 670 Selecting Custom Voices  (Read 2205 times)

Offline JeanLoop

DGX - 670 Selecting Custom Voices
« on: October 04, 2022, 02:49:47 PM »
Hello, I would like to know if someone knows how to select a custom voice by program (via a daw for example).

On the DGX screen, the custom voices display a date instead of the MSB.LSB.PC as for the preset voices.

If I record my play on a DAW and I change program, during recording, to a custom voice, the DGX sends the Program Change of the original preset voice that was used to create the custom voice.

Thus, on reproduction, it is the original voice (Preset) that is called and not the custom voice.

Any idea?

Offline pjd

Re: DGX - 670 Selecting Custom Voices
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 06:12:18 PM »
DGX-670 Reference Manual, page 88.

Yamaha's typical solution is to provide a utility/system parameter that enables MSB/LSB/PC display for each voice. The parameter on DGX-670 is called "Voice Number".

Hope this helps -- pj

The following users thanked this post: JeanLoop

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 06:15:54 PM »

Thus, on reproduction, it is the original voice (Preset) that is called and not the custom voice.

If you cannot select the custom voice directly, you may need to record song set-up information to the MIDI song file. See the DGX-670 Reference Manual, page 52.

Good luck and wishes -- pj

Offline JeanLoop

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 10:15:09 PM »
Thank you for the response.

1) As I say I see MSB.LSB.PC for preset voice , this is because "Voice Number" is set to "Show" in Menu-> Utility->Config 2

2) Menu -> Song Creator -> Setup -> "Apply" with all options checked,  then save the song do not work.

In any case, the DGX saves in the song the MSB.LSB.PC of the voice preset that was used to build the custom voice.

It seems that the custom voices do not have an MSB.LSB.PC on the DGX so they are useless in a Song of the integrated sequencer or via an external sequencer, because they are never called back.

I would like to know if this is the same thing on the PSR SX or on the Genos ?

(Sorry for my very bad English).

Offline DerekA

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 11:06:25 PM »
Remember that a custom voice, as you call it, is just a preset voice with a string of sysex commands that alter various parameters. So they can never have their own msb and lsb.
Genos

Offline Joe H

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 02:38:10 AM »
In addition to Derek what stated, When you select a User Voice, it will call up the Preset Voice then add the custom settings you applied when you saved it as a custom User Voice.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline JeanLoop

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 08:25:39 AM »
Ok, I now understand that a .vce (or .sar, etc) is a file that includes the MSB.LSB.PC of the original sound preset and a series of sysex and controls that modify the sound.
There is no memorization of these sounds in the memory of the machine as an independent sound and therefore no attribution of MSB.LSB.PC

I read this post on this forum: https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php?topic=57501.0

I've only had the DGX for 5 days and this is my first Yamaha arranger!

It's completely different, and therefore a little disturbing for me, from the machines I know.

For example on my PA4X user sounds are saved in the memory of the machine in the section (msb.lsb.pc) 121.61.0 to 121.69.127 and 120.64.0 to 120.66.127 for drum kits.

And on my Montage the user sounds (performance) is in the range 63.32.0 to 63.36.127 or 64.32.0 to 64.36.127

However, I used user sounds on my DGX in a style and it worked.

I used user sounds on my DGX with the built-in sequencer and it works.

With a DAW I send the user sound through a registration at the beginning of the recording and it works.

What confused me at first was when I wanted to check the sound, thanks to "Mixer/Eq", it showed me the original Preset sound.
I now understand why.

Anyway, thank you all for your replies.
This forum is very responsive and informative.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 08:27:07 AM by JeanLoop »

Offline Joe H

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 03:51:16 PM »
Yes, the Voice file is a small MIDI file that contains the modifications. You can look at this file if you change the extension to .mid or look at it in MixMaster as a voice file.

Joe H
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:53:16 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline JeanLoop

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 04:17:37 PM »
I have to learn how to use Mixmaster, as I said the world of Yamaha arrangers is new to me.

However I did the manipulation and the 'list view' gives information on the sys-ex more readable than the old Xgworks that I used so far and which also reads the 'voice' files directly without renaming the extension in .mid.

I have downloaded a lot of utilities on this site, now I have to learn how to use them !

One problem is that many utilities like 'Midi2Style' do not recognize the DGX-670.

But if I sell my PA4X I will buy a PSR-SX900 as an 'extension' of the DGX.

(I've had Korg arrangers since 2008, but was very disappointed with the new PA5X, so I decided to ditch the Korg arrangers and convert to Yamaha!)

Thanks for your advice.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 04:18:48 PM by JeanLoop »