Author Topic: Button behavior on SX models  (Read 1155 times)

Bunwich

Button behavior on SX models
« on: February 13, 2023, 02:22:08 PM »
I'm considering the SX600.  I was watching a demo and thought I heard a noticeable click when different fills were selected.  Is this normal?
Thanks!

Offline overover

Re: Button behavior on SX models
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 05:07:01 PM »
Hi Bunwich,

Depending on the design of the panel buttons, an audible click is completely normal, e.g. also with Genos and Tyros models. Some PSR models have the well-known rubber buttons, which are quiet but feel a bit "spongy" (imprecise). Fortunately, Yamaha has returned to buttons with a clear, defined pressure point (and thus an audible click) on the PSR-SX models.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: mhack

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 06:22:21 PM »
Just to make it clear: PSR-SX700/900 have rubber buttons. If compared to PSR-S775 (which I had before), buttons on SX700/900 are less "spongy". I think a harder rubber is used and now feels fine (is quiet on pressing and gives good feedback).
I also had PSR-S670 (SX600 predecessor) , which had clicky panel buttons.. is a personal preference, I think. Clicky buttons maybe feel more "solid" (you know, like a real buttons), but now I prefer silent ones on SX700/900. Anyway, I wouldn't make decision based on type of buttons -unless they're too spongy  ;D

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2023, 09:06:40 PM »
Man, the S770 I had were really spongy. I couldn't tell if I pressed it right, didn't help that the LED colors were roughly the same bright shade. I definitely prefer the buttons on the SX900/700. Tyros and Genos have hard buttons, though they are fancy looking, the audible click may be irksome if you're playing in a quiet part of a song.

Online Toril S

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 09:26:58 PM »
I like the hard buttons best. Took some time to get used to the spongy buttons on my 970 and 975!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Bunwich

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2023, 12:39:22 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I can see both sides have merit.  I will definitely focus on other factors..
Thanks again.