AKG K240 mk2 Headphone Report.

Started by Graham UK, August 15, 2022, 04:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham UK

PART 1. AKG K240 mk2 Headphones arrived today. Unboxed them and before I listened to them myself gave them to my wife for initial testing.
AKG state the sound to be neutral for studio monitoring so at first they can sound  bland-lifeless so extended listening time is needed.

I did NOT mention to wife anything about them being Semi-Open Back as it may influence her thinking.
She was gone over 30 minutes so thought I had better check how she was getting on.
Her first comments were how open image wise they sounded (Open Back) and she likes them very much.
Now I'm not sure I will get them back.

I had a brief listen before lunch and they reminded me of the Spender BC1 Monitors I owned some years back which were very neutral.

After many years of daily using over ripe headphones It is going to take awhile for me to come to terms with these AKG's.
The reviews that state they lack bass puzzles me as to just what signal they listened to because there is no shortage of lower end.

PART 2. Continuing AKG K240 mk2 review.
I have delayed this follow up review because the weather for most of us has not been favorable for wearing headphones for testing and my ears have been all over the place this week.

BUILD QUALITY... AKG construction I have no complaints at all, it looks & feels as good as any other H-phone I have used.

COMFORT...One word Excellent. Once on your head being low in weight and with the well designed AUTO headband adjustment plus the large over ear ear-pads comfort is high, in my case the ear-pads do not touch my ears.

SOUND...The impedance is rated 55 ohms so they are easy to drive to obtain a safe volume you require.
Remembering these are stated to be monitoring quality so frequency response is reasonable flat.

My wife stated to her ears they were clean and detailed and were very good with vocals.
My turn of listening I agreed the signal sounded very good with an image width openness, instruments also had depth more like listening to monitor speakers, my other closed back headphone never conveyed this width or depth to this degree.

VALUE. I consider these AKG K240 mk2 which are the more expensive of the K models (K52. K72. K92) to be a bargain at the asking price. In the UK I paid £53 UK Pounds.
(There's a K702 but they are in a different price category).

I may do Part 3 after a longer period of listening time.
DGX670

Fraboni

I've been using AKG 240's since my first pair back in the late 70's.  I updated to the MKII version in 2020 as the old 600 ohm ones were getting a bit tired looking and I was finding less equipment in my studio able to power them without a good headphone amp.  The MKII at 55 ohms works fine in everything now.  Still super comfortable to wear and perfect for listening while playing or during long mix sessions.  And more importantly, I can hear the dinner bell ;)   Highly recommended.

Cheers,
Peter

Toril S

Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page