Author Topic: Yamaha Expansion Manager Update Version 2.5.3  (Read 18873 times)

Yamaha Expansion Manager Update Version 2.5.3
« on: August 01, 2019, 07:39:14 AM »
[V2.5.2 to V2.5.3]
Now supports the PSR-SX900 and PSR-SX700.
Solved some other minor problems.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yem_win.html

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, Snicker740, pchan, wersianer

Re: Yamaha Expansion Manager Update Version 2.5.3
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 03:34:29 PM »
[V2.5.2 to V2.5.3]
Now supports the PSR-SX900 and PSR-SX700.
Solved some other minor problems.

https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yem_win.html

Me and you expect something new from YEM. And it looks like we were disappointed
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:27:59 AM »
There are still no new upgrades at YEM 2.5.3.
I was expecting an upgrade (at least) to allow users to create Custom Drums with RevoDrum.
But Yamaha doesn't seem to have that intention.
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
As it states,
  It addresses a couple of things that were not working correctly and also prepares for people buying the new SX900 andSX700.

Offline voodoo

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 10:40:59 AM »
And I think, that Yamaha is not planning to upgrade YEM substantially. It does what it is supposed to do. Arranger keyboards are not intended to offer deep voice editing, and this matches 98% of the users.

Uli
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Yamaha P-125 Digital Piano
Nord Electro 5D

Offline robinez

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 10:51:04 AM »
And I think, that Yamaha is not planning to upgrade YEM substantially. It does what it is supposed to do. Arranger keyboards are not intended to offer deep voice editing, and this matches 98% of the users.

Uli
korg has a different opinion, their pa keyboards have deep editing possibilities and has a very powerfull substractive synth on board which you can program yourself and it even includes wavesequencing functionality!

Yamaha has a different approach, it's basically a simple sample player with limited editing possibilities, but both are arranger keyboards so it depends on what you want i guess.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:59 AM »
I was expecting an upgrade (at least) to allow users to create Custom Drums with RevoDrum.

That is not correct. You can combine the CUSTOM drum with RevoDrum in the YEM.
Watch my video channel

Offline voodoo

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 12:21:52 PM »
korg has a different opinion, their pa keyboards have deep editing possibilities and has a very powerfull substractive synth on board which you can program yourself and it even includes wavesequencing functionality!

Yamaha has a different approach, it's basically a simple sample player with limited editing possibilities, but both are arranger keyboards so it depends on what you want i guess.

Ok, I totally agree. I think that Korg's opinion is very cool. And I would want to use deep editing on Genos. Perhaps. But in practice, using the presets is enough for most players. Perhaps. ;)
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline DerekA

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 12:41:38 PM »
You can use YEM to use the inbuilt wave samples on Tyros and Genos as if it were a full featured subtractive synth when the PC is connected up to the instrument. Given the nice big touchscreen on Genos, I really can't see it being that difficult for Yamaha's engineers to add a UI on the Genos itself to assemble the inbuilt waves, edit all the parameters, and save the result as a user voice.

Maybe this should go on the Genos2 wishlist thread ....
Genos

Offline ckobu

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 01:14:25 PM »

Are you sure? Revo drums are not accessible with YEM, maybe with last update?

Francesco

You are right @Snicker740 and @Francesco, Revo drum cannot be combined with USER. I saw it wrong, this applies to all other Drum kit but not Revo. Excuse me for my mistake.
Watch my video channel

Offline valimaties

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 01:29:04 PM »

Uli

I might ask you, how did you reached that percent of 98?!  ;D
I tell you something: Yamaha's customers are not only European nordic countries, UK, or France! There are a lot of Eastern Europe, Asia, Middle Asia which NEEDS deep voice editing to reach their natural musical instruments. Those voices which Yamaha provides thru YamahaMusicSoft site, are not quite 50% quality of the real instruments, are far away, I tell you certainly!
Also, there are a lot of people who bought Yamaha and they are not members of any forums, so you don't know which is the percent. I might say that "SitAndPlay" users are a lot more than advanced users which needs functions. But WE don't have what to do, we have to thank ourselves with Yamaha's typical limitations and to enjoy only what they give to us!

... It does what it is supposed to do...

And WHAT is supposed to do?!
Did you opened an uvf file? Have you seen how many parameters are inside that are NOT proposed to user for editing, because the user is "stupid" and he does not know what to do with them?
We live in a world of hi-tech! I don't think some kind of parameters can destroy our keyboards.

I ask you other thing: Why Tyros 4 has a full voice editing in keyboard?! and believe me, there are a lot of parameters there :D and I didn't heard anybody complaining that Tyros 4 has blown up because of some edited parameters in voice!

Regards,
Vali
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 01:37:17 PM by valimaties »

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline metcam

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 02:05:38 PM »

I tell you something: Yamaha's customers are not only European nordic countries, UK, or France! There are a lot of Eastern Europe, Asia, Middle Asia which NEEDS deep voice editing to reach their natural musical instruments. Those voices which Yamaha provides thru YamahaMusicSoft site, are not quite 50% quality of the real instruments, are far away, I tell you certainly!

Regards,
Vali

I agree Vali  I agree

Many of as (including my self) when we buy Yamaha,Korg... including GENOS which I have Can't do nothing, before load and EDIT our stuff. All preset styles and most of preset voices if you ask me they don't need to be in Genos because I do not use them at all. But I respect that they are working for somebody else.

A lot of people a simple don't want understand that.......

I am glad Yamaha does and they listening.

Regards

Regards
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 07:17:27 PM by metcam »
Curent Instruments:  PSR A-5000
Previus instruments:SX-900,GENOS,PSR-A3000,PSR9000,Tyros2,Tyros3,TYROS5,psr2000,psr2100,psr1500,psr530,psr OR700,DX7,DX11,V50,DX21.
KORG:pa800,KORG PA-900,Triton Extreme,Triton rack,.KORG X3,Roland G600.Roland

Offline Joe H

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 03:25:40 PM »
Ok, I totally agree. I think that Korg's opinion is very cool. And I would want to use deep editing on Genos. Perhaps. But in practice, using the presets is enough for most players. Perhaps. ;)

The Yamaha arrangers are XG instruments. So the Elements are set a certain way so that we can tweak the Voices using Voice Set. For most users this is very simple and quite adequate.  If we want a totally different sounds we can buy expansion Voices, or get a Motif Rack XS like me. then you can have all the Motif Voices, Multis (performances) and arps to play on your keyboard.  If you create "dummy packs" in YEM for the Motif Preset and User Voices and Multis, then you can select them right from the keyboard... but only as R1 Voices.

Joe H
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 03:31:22 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ckobu

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 03:50:15 PM »
Also, there are a lot of people who bought Yamaha and they are not members of any forums, so you don't know which is the percent. I might say that "SitAndPlay" users are a lot more than advanced users which needs functions. But WE don't have what to do, we have to thank ourselves with Yamaha's typical limitations and to enjoy only what they give to us!

Did you opened an uvf file? Have you seen how many parameters are inside that are NOT proposed to user for editing, because the user is "stupid" and he does not know what to do with them?
We live in a world of hi-tech! I don't think some kind of parameters can destroy our keyboards.

I ask you other thing: Why Tyros 4 has a full voice editing in keyboard?! and believe me, there are a lot of parameters there :D and I didn't heard anybody complaining that Tyros 4 has blown up because of some edited parameters in voice!

Regards,
Vali

Vali, I agree with everything you said. Especially since there are many non-forum users who are not only from Europe but come from Asia and the Eastern countries. Yamaha should also think of players from around the world.

However, it is not true that the Tyros 4 in the keyboard could have made major changes in sound. We did a detailed processing with Voice Editor, as we do with the YEM application today.

https://youtu.be/UZk_d0lvTno
Watch my video channel

Offline voodoo

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »

OK, in this forum, this number is not representative. But in some Genos users facebook groups they discuss about playing midi files. This seems to the the level for many users.
Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline voodoo

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2019, 04:02:15 PM »

Good question. I think it does what Yamaha thinks it should do.  :)

Yamaha Genos
Yamaha MODX7
Nord Electro 5D

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2019, 05:42:07 PM »
Hi
I do not know why all these complaints are necessary
If you combine Vst with the Genos ,Sky is the limit!! :P :)
Drum samples can be combined through audio phraser.
Make your own styles from EMC Styleworks, so easy. Just have to pay a little more to get.
To go deeper with the Genos, go Cubase and CC121 controller. The universe is now the limit!!!
If i at 68 can get through the likes of Cubase , then anyone can :o ;D

You can make life simple or hard as you like.
I think learning is fun and may keep you from memory loss in the future
Now, What was that i said um!!! ::)

All the best
John :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 05:46:34 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline sunny

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2019, 06:20:42 PM »
There are some deficiencies in loading custom samples through YEM which are not solved so far. Please note the problem.

When the custom WAV file is loaded through YEM, the release
sample (Note off sample) say natural Reverb of the WAV sample is lost.
Many sample libraries have natural Reverb recorded into the sample and
this natural Reverb (say release sample) is not reproduced when it is played back on Genos/Tyros keyboards.

The Yamaha Expansion Manager version 2.5.3 prevents loading multiple loops especially (key release sample) and plays Genos/Tyros inbuilt Reverb effect only. There is no problem with the MOTIF keyboards which supports loading multiple loops.

I hope Yamaha will rectify this problem soon by allowing loading multiple loops sample in the upcoming Version and provide more more options to allow loading natural Reverb of the WAV sample by blocking Genos/Tyros inbuilt Reverb effect, so that the original sound of the WAV sample is reproduced.

Sunny

Offline Joe H

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2019, 06:50:38 PM »
... If you combine Vst with the Genos ,Sky is the limit!! :P :) ...
All the best
John :)

We do something similar... you use external VSTs in your DAW, I use external sound modules.  My MU128 has 3 real synth cards in it which have very dynamic Voices (VL, FM and Analog) and are very close to VSTs. The Motif and Proteus have DEEP editing capabilities to create custom Voices.

Some of us want a synth-arranger I guess.

;D

Joe H

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2019, 07:31:59 PM »
Hi Joe
That is the other thing
Using sound modules you can play live or take 10 keyboards and do a Rick Wakeman!!! or Jorden Rudess. or even an Emerson Lake & Palmer. or Yanni.
 ;D

All the best
john :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Joe H

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2019, 07:40:15 PM »
Rick Wakeman plays Korg.  I have a Korg sound module too, but it's old school sounds from the M1 and M3.  But it has 8-part Combis.  I'm not sure if I will keep it.  I haven't power it On in ages.

Joe H

Offline rgw

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the YEM Application Version 2.5.3 that they could let me have? I can't use the 2.7 version as I only have Windows 7 and my YEM version 2.4.1 is not recognized by the SX900!

Richard.

Offline valimaties

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the YEM Application Version 2.5.3 that they could let me have? I can't use the 2.7 version as I only have Windows 7 and my YEM version 2.4.1 is not recognized by the SX900!

Richard.

Win versions... (some of them)

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline rgw

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 04:44:14 PM »
Brilliant! Thank you very much Valimaties.

Best wishes,
Richard.

Offline overover

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 06:17:29 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of the YEM Application Version 2.5.3 that they could let me have? I can't use the 2.7 version as I only have Windows 7 and my YEM version 2.4.1 is not recognized by the SX900!...

Hi Richard,

I recommend you to install the last YEM version compatible with Win7 (V2.6.0). You can download this version from my Dropbox:

>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/pwdyj7jgfopj7ja/yem_v260%2Binfo.zip?dl=0

A copy of the download page at that time is also included in the zip file (as a PDF).

Version History
[V2.5.3 to V2.6.0]
    - Now supports the Genos V2.00.
    - Incremental installation of Expansion Packs using a USB flash drive called as "Quick Installation" is now available on compatible instruments.
    - Solved some other minor problems.

[V2.5.2 to V2.5.3]
    - Now supports the PSR-SX900 and PSR-SX700.
    - Solved some other minor problems.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline valimaties

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2020, 09:50:58 PM »
Thanks Chris... I found it on my home PC as well :) and some others, who wants  ;D

Regards,
Vali

Vali Maties - Genos

Offline alka

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2020, 01:39:13 PM »
Hi, maybe someone you have YEM 2.5.3 or 2.6 for MAC, after update to Big Sur, YEM 2.7 das not start.

Offline overover

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2020, 03:33:42 PM »
Hi, maybe someone you have YEM 2.5.3 or 2.6 for MAC, after update to Big Sur, YEM 2.7 das not start.

Hi alka,

this would not solve the problem. Big Sur doesn't support 32-bit apps anymore. You have to wait until Yamaha will release the next YEM version (probably V2.8.0) that is compatible with macOS Big Sur.

P.S.
YEM V2.7.0 for Windows is installed like a 64-bit program (into the folder "Program Files"), when performing a "clean" installation (when the previous version was uninstalled before), but I guess that it is not a native 64-bit program so far. (However, on Windows 10 this doesn't matter of course.)

YEM V2.7.0 for macOS, I think, is probably not a native 64-bit app either (and for that reason alone is not compatible with Big Sur). And it will certainly not work with older YEM versions either.

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:51:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline Charly16

« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2020, 12:23:18 PM »
I had the same problem , then i removed 2.7 for mac os bigsur and reïnstalled 2.6 and it works fine in big sur .

kind regards Paul

Offline Teknoss

« Reply #29 on: December 28, 2020, 06:45:40 AM »
Im having the same problem, YEM 2.7 doesn't work on macOS Big Sur.  :(
Genos 2, Korg PA5X, Ketron EventX, Nord PedalKeys27

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2022, 08:20:11 AM »
Does anyone still have 2.6 Mac around and could possibly make it available? I'd like to run it on Sierra, but the Yamaha site only goes back as far as 2.7 for Mac (though they go back to 2.6 for Windows).

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2022, 08:33:31 AM »
Hi
Downloadable Mac version is now V2.8.1. Maybe that will solve some problems, even former issues?
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/support/updates/yem_mac.html
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline overover

« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2022, 09:14:36 AM »
Does anyone still have 2.6 Mac around and could possibly make it available? I'd like to run it on Sierra, but the Yamaha site only goes back as far as 2.7 for Mac (though they go back to 2.6 for Windows).

Hi anotherscott,

You can download YEM 2.6.0 for Mac (the last YEM version compatible with macOS 10.12.6 Sierra) from my Dropbox by clicking the following link:
>>> https://www.dropbox.com/s/680b2x0f4z0oz99/yem_v260_mac.zip?dl=0

Note: Current packs created with YEM 2.8.0/2.8.1 CANNOT be used with YEM 2.6.0. Unfortunately, the current version YEM 2.8.1 is no longer compatible with macOS Sierra. So if you have problems installing certain newer packs under YEM 2.6.0, you either have to use a newer macOS (with at least High Sierra 10.13.6), or you are using a Windows PC/laptop with Windows 10 or 8.1. (each with YEM 2.8.1).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:24:04 AM by overover »

« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2022, 07:53:22 PM »
Thank you so much, overover!

When you say that 2.6.0 won't support certain newer packs, is there any way to know which ones it will and won't support? I'm lookingat the packs at https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/c/downloadables/sound-expansion-library/premium-packs-voices?product_list_mode=list sorted in order of newest. Is it as simple as the ones newer (listed above) a particular one of those titles can't be installed by 2.60?

Offline overover

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2022, 08:54:33 PM »
Thank you so much, overover!

When you say that 2.6.0 won't support certain newer packs, is there any way to know which ones it will and won't support? I'm lookingat the packs at https://shop.usa.yamaha.com/en/c/downloadables/sound-expansion-library/premium-packs-voices?product_list_mode=list sorted in order of newest. Is it as simple as the ones newer (listed above) a particular one of those titles can't be installed by 2.60?

Hi Marco,

Downloading the "now free" Expansion Packs from the Yamaha USA shop is quite complicated. So just use the following site:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/contents/keyboards/vse/index.html

First select your instrument model in the dropdown box "Your Model". All these Packs should also work with YEM 2.6.0.

If a Pack is not compatible, you should receive an appropriate error message when importing the Pack. This applies e.g. to PSR-A5000 Packs or possibly also to some of the relatively new Brazilian Packs. (Download links for the latter can be found using the search function here in the forum).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:57:06 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: anotherscott