Author Topic: Arranger module for Genos  (Read 3988 times)

Offline Donna P

Arranger module for Genos
« on: November 20, 2021, 02:18:12 PM »
Is anyone aware of a module that is compatible with the Genos that would give you more voice and style choices?  Has anyone tried a Ketron module?
Thanks.
Donna

Offline Duffy

Re: Arranger module for Genos
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2021, 04:30:09 PM »
Hi Donna,
I use a Ketron midJpro with my Genos and they work fine together.
I also have a Roland BK7m and a Technics AC1200 and they have also worked well with the Genos
Some of Ketrons voices are very good, especially the Strings.
Ketron have 2 more arranger modules with more voices and styles than mine and they should sound fantastic if you like a big full sound.

The following users thanked this post: Donna P

Offline fozzie

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2021, 05:47:03 PM »
Hey Donna!

I use Ketron SD90 with my Genos, and they work well together. I usually mix Geno's styles with real drums and real guitars from SD90, to make it sound more live. These two together are outstanding. You can mix how you want between the two, and it sounds fantastic.

/fozzie
Ketron Audya-76, Korg PA5X, Yamaha Genos, Ketron SD 90,  Ketron SD1000, Zoom R-24, Zoom H2n, Guitars, Amps, Band in a box 2023 audiophile, Ipad PRO with Auria and iConnect AUDIO4 interface, etc. etc.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad, Donna P

Offline musicman01

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2021, 01:32:11 PM »
Dear Donna, connecting an extra sound module via midi requires a lot of knowledge, if your knowledge of midi is not sufficient, a midi module is not recommended!
I don't understand what advantage you want to get from connecting a midi module to Genos.
Yamaha Genos is the best arranger keyboard right now.
My recommendation, learn to work with your Genos and you will see that the possibilities are almost endless.
I recently hooked up and configured a Ketron SD90 for someone with a Korg PA4x, not worth it at all in my opinion.
The sounds are identical to the Ketron SD1000 module priced at €444, and the SD90 at €2700(price Belgium) for some additional styles??
Very good advice, think very carefully!!

The following users thanked this post: Donna P

Offline Duffy

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 01:35:17 PM »
Dear Donna, connecting an extra sound module via midi requires a lot of knowledge, if your knowledge of midi is not sufficient, a midi module is not recommended!
I don't understand what advantage you want to get from connecting a midi module to Genos.
Yamaha Genos is the best arranger keyboard right now.
My recommendation, learn to work with your Genos and you will see that the possibilities are almost endless.
I recently hooked up and configured a Ketron SD90 for someone with a Korg PA4x, not worth it at all in my opinion.
The sounds are identical to the Ketron SD1000 module priced at €444, and the SD90 at €2700(price Belgium) for some additional styles??
Very good advice, think very carefully!!

I'm afraid that I need to disagree with you when you say that "connecting an extra sound module via midi requires a lot of knowledge"
It's the easiest thing in the world to do and modern modules have wizards which just ask you to play a key (for the right hand) on the top of the keyboard
& one on the bottom (for the left hand). When it asks, you tell it to set base to same as left hand or just press a left hand key again.
The module will sense what channels you are using and set itself accordingly.
Even before wizards, it was simple and you just had to match the channels to be the same.
the Genos may be a good keyboard but no keyboard is best at everything and on Genos, the Hammond organ sound is poor.
Strings are harsh whereas Ketron's are far superior so you can use many sounds that you may prefer to your main ones.
You also have extra styles to choose from too.
If it was so difficult, with so little advantage, I wouldn't have been using my modules for many many years as I have.

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline Dnj

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 03:42:16 PM »
What are you actually looking for in extra styles & sounds as the Genos has so many great ones..?

Offline Luluc

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2022, 07:21:19 PM »
For what genres of music are you looking for voices and styles : EDM, Classical, Latin, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Newage, ...?

Have you considered the Yamaha Expansion packs which are free now ?

For the missing styles, do you know you can create your own styles ? If not, it is a way to go to improve your skills.
Luluc
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Genos - Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 - Behringer FCB1010 - AKG K92

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2022, 11:35:21 PM »
Agree with Duffy.

Top arrangers are all different, each having features or styles or sounds that others don't.

I have a Genos, and I do believe it is the best arranger. Nevertheless I miss many sounds/styles/features of my previous arranger, Korg Pa3X, and others.

Personally, I prefer to concentrate on one arranger at a time, to get the most I can. This method helps a lot to discover the potential of a device, that is usually quite unknown in the first couple of years. That's why I normally keep playing with the same arranger for 4-5 years.

But I certainly understand and appreciate the fact of having an arranger module to enrich significantly the availability of sound/styles.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2022, 11:39:32 PM »
What are you actually looking for in extra styles & sounds as the Genos has so many great ones..?

I started using modules originally to get some good strings as those on my board were poor.
Bought a Solton (Ketron) MS40 and had all the fantastic strings I needed from solo violins to full orchestras. Obviously got some other sounds I like and some nice extra styles too.
Bought a Technics SMAC 1200 module and bought a load of TechPlus Style and voice software. Those styles, even today are unbelievable and many better than Genos styles.
As a result, I had some better voices too and could play some lovely voices which no other boards could match.
I also use a Roland BK7M and a Ketron Midjay and, until you play some of my styles, you don't realise how many are missing from keyboards like Genos.
I don't have to use the same styles over and over like most players or, the limited number of voices of a particular genre.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2022, 11:51:02 PM »
For what genres of music are you looking for voices and styles : EDM, Classical, Latin, Jazz, Pop, Rock, Newage, ...?

Have you considered the Yamaha Expansion packs which are free now ?

For the missing styles, do you know you can create your own styles ? If not, it is a way to go to improve your skills.

I am not looking for anything actually because I already have the styles and sounds I need for the music I play.
I play mostly MOR stuff and mostly from 1920's to 1970's. Almost no modern stuff at all and particularly like Swing, ballroom, Musicals, 50's & 60's with a little Classical and march.
Have some expansion packs in my Genos but I only use about 5% of what's there.
I wouldn't even consider trying to make my own styles as I am a bit of a perfectionist and they wouldn't come up to my own expectations.
Another benefit is, when I change main master keyboard, I still have my modules set up and ready to go so I can take my time doing the integration again.

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2022, 11:59:51 AM »
Duffy wrote,
Bought a Technics SMAC 1200 module and bought a load of TechPlus Style and voice software. Those styles, even today are unbelievable and many better than Genos styles.
This is yet another argument for a decent Style Creator on the Genos. From Tyros all the way to Genos, the Style Creators have worked but are too clunky and time consuming to use. There are a lot of people very capable of creating styles as authentic as those found on the Genos.

Genos has a very professional sounding group of voices, making it a suitable instrument for pro players - although the pianos and organs need serious upgrading! Having said that, a keyboard with such professional quality sounds should have a more usable interface for professional level editing. Then, external modules would not be needed. One might say, "Then, go and buy a Montage and you'll get all those things." True, but then you lose the fantastic arranger qualities of the Genos. I guess it's too much to ask of Yamaha to build a combo Genos/Montage 😮. What would it be called? The Genotage 😀?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2022, 08:28:57 PM »
I know some musicians in wedding bands make money just using an old DX7 and a small amp!

However, this is not the question.  I used a few Ketron and Tyros together for different reason.

I had double of all my equipment just in case one failed!
Since I had them, I carried them and set them up, they worked fine together!  Yes, they sound different, can the audience hear the difference, I don't know!  Can the audience see the difference? Yes!
Equipment is part of the Show.  At one time I used to carry 3 keyboards, a Leslie speakers and big columns with a rack full of effects, it looked impressive!

These days at my old age I can go out with a laptop and and Bose L1!  The sound is the same and better, the visual is crappy!