Author Topic: multi vocal recordings  (Read 2587 times)

Offline Ken Stenzel

multi vocal recordings
« on: August 01, 2022, 07:37:48 PM »
Very different from Tyros 5. How do I record multiple vocals? Can I sing multiple times when recording in Audio multi mode? If I record vocal one time then have to wait for a few days to record a second voice how to I save the audio file to be used again to rerecord?  Hope I'm not being too unclear.
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline Fred Smith

Re: multi vocal recordings
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:11:53 PM »
Very different from Tyros 5. How do I record multiple vocals? Can I sing multiple times when recording in Audio multi mode? If I record vocal one time then have to wait for a few days to record a second voice how to I save the audio file to be used again to rerecord?  Hope I'm not being too unclear.

The quick answer to recording multiple vocals is to turn on Overdub.

The longer answer is you would typically:
-- Record the keyboard audio (or import it)
-- Record the first vocal on the sub channel
-- Overdub next next vocal

You don't have to wait. You can do this in sequence as fast as you like.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 08:58:16 AM »
Very different from Tyros 5.

It's true that the Genos touch screen is laid out a little differently from the Tyros 5 buttons. But the actual function - what you can and cannot do - is absolutely identical to the Tyros 5.
Genos

Offline Ken Stenzel

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 06:30:44 PM »
Getting really frustrated. Will try to explain.
I am fine with quick recording Audio. But Multi record Audio is giving me fits.
I set up to record over a midi file.
record and sing over the midi
it plays when I do playback.
Then the vocal disappears. There is no save function and I never see it recorded as an audio file.
  What am I doing wrong?
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2022, 07:14:33 PM »
If you are using Genoa the file is saved onto your user section and will have a Number. You can then alter this to the song title and save where you want it. If using a SX900 the song will be saved on the USB stick.

Offline Ken Stenzel

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2022, 08:08:43 PM »
This is what I am doing. What is it I'm doing wrong?
Touch song
Choose song from song B
Press recording
Audio multi recording
Press red record and play.
Press play mute button
Record singing with song.
Stop recording
Showing audio recording number in purple
Exit.
Go to user file. Only show names in blue. Not purple.
Where do I find the recorded file?
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline tyrosaurus

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 09:07:42 PM »
Hi Ken,

It sounds as if you are trying to select the Audio 'Multi Recording' file for playing using the Song Player, which you can't do!

Multi Audio files (the 'purple ones') can only be played back directly from the Audio 'Multi Recording' window.

You need to press 'Record' then touch Audio 'Multi Recording' to open the Multi window.

Now touch the file selection box at the top left of the window and the Audio Multi Recording Selection window will open, showing any multi recordings that you have made.

Select the one that you want to play or work with and the display will return to the Audio 'Multi Recording' window and should now show the name of the selected file in the file name box.

Touch the 'Play/Pause' button in the transport section near the bottom of the window to play the song.

The Song Player will only display, select and load Simple Audio files ('blue ones' in .wav format), so if you want to use a Multi Audio one with the Song Player, you must first convert it using the 'Export' function which you can find by touching 'Menu' on the Audio 'Multi Recording' page.

This will create a copy of the multi audio in simple audio format without affecting the multi file, and you can continue to work on the multi   version in the future if you want to.

It sounds as if you haven't read the 'Audio Multi Recording' section in the downloadable 'Genos Reference Manual'  It would be worth you checking it out.

Note that this function was not included in the first version of the Reference Manual (Version P0-A0), since Yamaha rushed the release of Genos, and Audio 'Multi Recording' was not available at that time!  They added it a few months after the initial release, in firmware version 1.10 as a 'new function'  :o ::)!  If by chance you have Version P0-A0, you should get the latest version.

Regards

Ian
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 09:10:59 PM by tyrosaurus »

Offline Ken Stenzel

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2022, 05:03:14 PM »
Thank you Ian,  I think that answers it for me. I will look at my manual to be sure I have the proper one.
   thanks again.
Kenneth Stenzel

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2022, 09:59:13 PM »
Hi Ken,

I recommend that you visit the Genos download site regularly. There you will always find the current firmware/software, brochures, the current versions of the manuals and other downloads:
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 10:00:19 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2022, 11:58:34 PM »
Hi Ken --

I use Audio Multi-record quite a bit, including overdubs. One needs to read up about the main and sub tracks, know when to record to each, and how to bounce the sub down to the main. Once you get the hang of it, you'll fly!

As other mentioned, Audio Multi-record keeps its audio recordings in its own format and place in the Genos file system. The advantage is that Audio Multi-record songs are always at hand and it kinda remembers the state of your last recording session. If you need a WAV file, you must export the song to WAV. Conversely, if you want to bring a WAV into Audio Multi-record, you must import the WAV file. Export and import can be found in the Audio Multi-Recording Menu (i.e., the menu icon in the upper right corner of the Audio Multi-Recording page.)

Hope this extra info helps -- pj

Offline Ken Stenzel

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2022, 03:58:04 PM »
I have been familiarizing myself with audio recording and have a question. Lets say I recorded audio on sub. then I hit overdub and record that over sub. Now what if I want to save all that and overdub one more time. How do I go about doing that? I am thinking I have to export the file then import it as a new file? Am I close?
Kenneth Stenzel