Author Topic: Decibels of Gain  (Read 1347 times)

Offline johnzutzbg

Decibels of Gain
« on: July 31, 2022, 10:38:17 PM »
I am considering getting a Shure SM7B. It lists this in the description:

The SM7B does NOT require phantom power and is not affected if phantom power is present on its mixer input. Note that some third-party external pre-amps commonly used with the SM7B DO require phantom power to operate, however. At least 60dB of gain is recommended to get that iconic warm and balanced tone most commonly associated with the SM7B.

Does anyone know what the Gain DB is for the GENOS? I'm not sure if I need a cloud lifter.

Thanks!

Offline pjd

Re: Decibels of Gain
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2022, 11:15:58 PM »
Hi —

I couldn’t find a gain spec in the owner’s manual or reference manual. If I get a chance, I’ll look in the Service Manual, but I’m not optimistic. Sometimes the engineers make a note, but usually not.

Perhaps this is a question for Yamaha Support?

60dB gain sounds like a heck of a lot of gain!  :o  :)

All the best — pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2022, 11:31:37 PM »
OK, it’s a low sensitivity dynamic mic. Many mic preamps are designed for “hotter” condenser microphones and those preamps typically  top out at 50dB gain.

So, I appreciate the concern, especially before dropping big bucks on a mic and maybe an unnecessary pre.

It may not apply, but I use an SM57 with Genos and don’t seem to be lacking for gain. I’m not sure how the SM7B and SM57 compare as to sensitivity.

— pj

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 08:52:17 PM »
Took a look at the Genos service manual. There is a note by the MIC input circuit:

Gain:16.9 to 54.3dB
LPF : 88KHz

Maybe try the SM7B with Genos before buying an external preamp? Seems like the prudent course of action.

Hope this helps -- pj

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 08:59:52 PM »
Thanks for your research PJD! I appreciate it!

Yes I think I will do that.

Offline MarkF_48

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 09:48:07 PM »
If the GENOS can provide 48vdc phantom from its XLR jack, there are more budget minded inline mic boosters than just the Cloud Lifter.

I bought one of these a short while ago and it works well...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1614207-REG/polsen_xp_30d_inline_xlr_single_channel.html

I also have this one which I've had for several years. I did buy it specifically for an SM7B. This one I mount directly to the SM7B and just use one cable to a preamp or recorder.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1245015-REG/triton_audio_fethead_in_line_microphone_preamp.html