Author Topic: Genos Rotary Knob remplacement ? (smaller in height)  (Read 4415 times)

Offline BenoitM

Genos Rotary Knob remplacement ? (smaller in height)
« on: July 31, 2022, 06:52:46 PM »
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new desk with a slidable part, on which I put my Genos.
Before buying the desk, I checked that the Genos would fit, and at an announced height of 138mm it should fit the 140mm space of the slidable part...

Alas, the rotary knobs are +-1mm too high, and I had to remove them in order to be able to close the slidable desk part :/ 

I could lower this slidable part of the desk, but only in 2cm increments, and then my knees would touch the desk ...

So, I wondered if it would be possible to find alternative / less tall rotary knob that would fit the genos rotary encoder ?

Thanks in advance.
Benoit 

Offline Mikk

I Believe in the K.I.S.S. Principle.

There is no cloud. It is storage space
                     on someones computer.

Offline BenoitM

Re: Genos Rotary Knob remplacement ? (smaller in height)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 08:37:56 AM »
https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=rotary+knobs&crid=2QVVLSVA8BOUI&sprefix=rotary+knobs%2Caps%2C259&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

I already tried to search for it on Amazon, but the 'Rotary Knob' is way too broad to return any meaningful result ...  (btw, your link only shows 3 products, 2 of them beeing kitchen hardware  ??? )

In fact, is there a specific term I could use to narrow my search ? (like : the shape of the clipping part of the rotary knob, in order to not purchase incompatible caps ???)

Benoit

Offline Bill

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 09:15:22 AM »
Try

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/switches/rotary-switches-components/rotary-switch-knobs/?sra=p

Or try the international store and select your country. Then type in rotary knob in the search.

https://www.rs-online.com/

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

The following users thanked this post: BenoitM

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2022, 02:52:06 PM »
Thanks Bill,

I searched for a Genos-compatible knob , but did not find any one   :P

Thanks anyway !

Benoit

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2022, 10:55:06 PM »
Hi --

You'll need to search for a knob that is compatible with the potentiometer shaft. Judging from a picture of the Genos knob, Yamaha part number ZW5670I0, the shaft has a flat face on it. You'll need to search for something like "Knob for 6mm Flatted Shaft Potentiometers" where 6mm is the shaft diameter. (Please measure the Genos pot shaft diameter before ordering.)

You may be able to get away using a knob with a set screw. I would stay away from knobs for knurled shafts.

Searching with "Genos compatible knob" won't get the job done.

Hope this helps -- pj

P.S. Just measured the knob on my Genos and it looks like a 6mm hole. The flatted face is there to orient the knob and its "pointer" correctly.

The following users thanked this post: BenoitM

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 03:21:22 PM »
Thanks pjd, you gave me the specific term I was searching for !
It allows me to narrow my search to :

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometer-knobs/7777366

and

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometer-knobs/2994812

I'm not still 100% confident they would exactly fit (and I'm pretty sure that the 'pointer' won't be correctly oriented) but they are cheap enough to give them a try !

If they don't fit, I think I'll have to go to the '3D printer' option (I don't own one, but I could ask a friend) the difficulty will be to optain the correct 3D model... let's try the easiest option first !

Again, thank you for your help !

Ben

Offline pjd

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 05:56:51 PM »
Hi Ben --

Glad to help! I'm casting about for knobs; I'm going to trick out an Akai MPK mini play (once I get it).

You should hit on knobs that work, even if it requires a few attempts. I have tons of random knobs on-hand, the result of searching for the "right" knob.  :D

At least the price is right. Some knobs are insanely expensive for what one gets!

Good luck -- pj

Offline jtrue

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 10:18:19 PM »
If the factory knob is only 1 mm too high perhaps you could just grind off the top 1 mm and solve the problem without having to worry whether it will fit the shaft correctly.  Just mark the side of the knob where the pointer is aimed so you can correctly mark the new surface after the grinding is done.  The result may not be cosmetically pretty but you are the only one who will notice and can overlook that considering the benefit gained.  If perchance the grinding destroys the knob not much is lost since you are expecting to replace it anyway.  Might be worth a try.

j.
It don't mean a thing...

Offline ticktock

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 01:20:49 AM »
Lower the slide desk 2mm and put something 2mm thick (books,...) on the floor and place the desk on it.
My 2 cents.
Ted

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2022, 08:24:14 AM »
If the factory knob is only 1 mm too high perhaps you could just grind off the top 1 mm and solve the problem without having to worry whether it will fit the shaft correctly.  Just mark the side of the knob where the pointer is aimed so you can correctly mark the new surface after the grinding is done.  The result may not be cosmetically pretty but you are the only one who will notice and can overlook that considering the benefit gained.  If perchance the grinding destroys the knob not much is lost since you are expecting to replace it anyway.  Might be worth a try.

j.

I was tempted to buy another set of 6 'original' Yamaha Knobs, and grind them off in the first place...
I'm still undecided, but if I go this route I'll keep my actual knobs untouched , if I resale my Genos one day :)

Thanks.
Benoit

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2022, 08:25:08 AM »
Lower the slide desk 2mm and put something 2mm thick (books,...) on the floor and place the desk on it.
My 2 cents.
Ted

The slide desk can only be lowered by 2 centimeters increments , not millimeters, that's why I can't do this simple trick :)

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 09:45:38 PM »
The slide desk can only be lowered by 2 centimeters increments , not millimeters, that's why I can't do this simple trick :)

Couldn't you lower the desk 2cm and then put a 1.5cm plate (wood, cardboard, etc) underneath the Genos? Oh wait, your knees would touch

Ok, in that case, couldn't you either:
1) lower the brackets for the desk 2cm, but use 1.5cm risers to bring the desk to the correct height?
2) shave the knob(s) from the bottom shaft, so that it looks fine on top?
3) or even replace the shelf the Genos sits on with a thinner piece (either by sanding, or purchasing a new, thinner piece of wood (or metal, plastic?). You can get quite a strong sheet of acrylic... heck, if you have Lego technic parts, you could craft a thinner shelf out of Lego, at least temporarily, just to try it?
4) if you're talking about the 6 pot knobs above the faders, those 6mm round with 1 side flat are pretty standard; you could get half /height ones from guitar pots, or even the short knobs from guitar effects pedals. Roland has knobs like that

Mark

Offline Toril S

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 10:01:03 PM »
I would find another desk!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Oxford1035

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 01:14:41 AM »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2022, 11:49:08 AM »
Yes Toryl so would I . There is no way I would alter my Genos by cutting things down.
  If anything was cut about it would be the desk.

Offline overover

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2022, 06:11:05 PM »
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a new desk with a slidable part, on which I put my Genos.
Before buying the desk, I checked that the Genos would fit, and at an announced height of 138mm it should fit the 140mm space of the slidable part...

Alas, the rotary knobs are +-1mm too high, and I had to remove them in order to be able to close the slidable desk part :/ 

I could lower this slidable part of the desk, but only in 2cm increments, and then my knees would touch the desk ...

So, I wondered if it would be possible to find alternative / less tall rotary knob that would fit the genos rotary encoder ?

Thanks in advance.
Benoit

Hi Benoit,

I wouldn't replace the rotary knobs in this case. If you can lower the slide desk by two centimeters, you should be able to do so for just a few millimeters. You could close the previous mounting holes with wooden dowels, for example, and then drill new holes a few millimeters below.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2022, 07:05:45 PM »
Hi Benoit --

I received my Akai MPC Mini Play and took it apart.  :)

The knobs are small, short and 6mm flatted. I tried them on Genos. They fit although not as firm a fit as the Yamaha originals.

So, yes, short 6mm flatted shaft knobs do exist!

Take care -- pj

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/review-akai-mini-play-mk1/

Offline BenoitM

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2022, 10:08:34 AM »
I received my knob replacements (from https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/potentiometer-knobs/2994812 ) and they fit nicely , too bad the 'needle' is not correctly oriented (I knew that when I purchased them, but considering my needs I considered it was the 'lesser evil' :) )

So, long story short : my Genos now fits perfectly on my Zaor Miza Z Flex desk.

Thanks all for your suggestions !

Benoit

ps: Perhaps one day I'll investigate the '3D Printer' option and build custom made knob, but for now it's ok :)

Offline pjd

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 12:07:43 AM »
Thanks for the follow-up! I may try to find these via North American supplier as they might fit the Mini Play, too.

The darned shafts on the Mini Play are so short, the interior hole doesn't reach low enough. Akai -- arg! Need a narrow skirt diameter, too. Fortunately, I'm not in a hurry.  :)

Take care -- pj
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 04:52:01 PM by pjd »

Offline frajag

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
Find someone with a 3D printer and have them custom make your rotary knob.