Author Topic: Chord Looper Poll  (Read 4401 times)

Offline LaHawk

Chord Looper Poll
« on: July 29, 2022, 03:57:22 PM »
Interested to find out if chord looper is something players use, and if it should be continued, or modified for future Yamaha Arrangers.
Thank you for participating
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 04:06:15 PM by LaHawk »
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline stephenm52

Re: Chord Looper Poll
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 04:19:20 PM »
I tried it out but found it confusing.  I'll answer YES I did not spend enough time playing around with it.  Based on what I play my time is better spent just playing and not messing any more than I have to with settings.  I'm basically a pianist and I'd rather play all the notes myself, I'm not doing gigs where the chord looper would enhance my performances.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 05:12:37 PM »
Yes, I've found it useful for practicing the right hand part on trickier songs. I program in the verse loop and the chorus loop, then noodle away. Not much fun for anyone listening though ;)

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2022, 06:19:23 PM »
Stephen
I think a vote would be misleading because the vast majority of people on the forum do not have the chord looper function on their keyboard. Only a few would have it. So don't expect many replies.
Just my thought.
Mike

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2022, 09:14:54 PM »
I have never used it.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 12:11:20 AM »
Brilliant feature. I use it on almost every song. Frees me from having to play chords with my left hand, allowing me to do other things instead.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline terryB

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2022, 08:52:35 AM »
Some clever people use it because they have better thing to do with their left hand than hold down cords  ;)
Cheers Terry

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2022, 09:33:30 AM »
I own Genos, and when performing live I don't use Chord Looper. But when working in the Studio, mixing songs, I often use this feature.
My sequence is to create a style for the deck, a mix of Genos and Cakewalk. Then record the chord looper and use it to record tracks. I only use the Drum Section and Tracks 12 - 16. As for the Bass track (Ch11), I prefer to hit it by myself rather than using the Style Player's autoplayer.

You can listen to a song I recorded with Genos sounds, combined with Toontrack EZBass Pro's Bass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLUFtf815yQ
Genos + Motif XS7
More video about Genos: https://www.youtube.com/c/MaiDinhThangMusic

The following users thanked this post: LaHawk

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 02:43:51 PM »
Absolutely yes, I consider it a fundamental instrument for playing live and being able to feel free to use both hands to play.

Offline johnzutzbg

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2022, 10:33:34 PM »
I use my Genos primarily at chuch. When COVID hit, Masses were suspended for about 9 months, and then it was just instrumental music allowed only. I take the styles that have a "Guitar Strumming" to hit, remove the drums, and will often change pads or phrases in the mixer to other guitars to give the style a fuller sound. I put the bass just right so that it isn't over powering. 

I would program my chord looper with the chords of a song, and was able to vary the instrumentals with a flute, oboe, or mandolin.

I would love to see a feature where you can essentially type in your chords, and it will play them. A lot of chords the GENOS will play, but I have to use the BASS HOLD feature to get it to sound right, and I can't do that fast enough sometime when I am recording the chord progression, or the leading chord isn't the right root.

Offline hans1966

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 02:44:59 AM »
Chord loop, I find it a cool feature, and I love it.

I have used it both to create MIDI arrangements, and to play live, mainly when in a certain part of the song (especially Latin genre: Cuban son, Latin jazz, Guajira, Bossanova) I want to do a solo piano improvisation with both hands.

Cheers

Hans
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2022, 02:12:17 PM »
Chord Looper was the main reason I have selected SX900 instedad of SX700 (and paid the price supplement) ! (it is also the only feature missing in the Medeli AKX-1000 ... so far)

I find it very useful to free the left hand to do other things (changing variations, fill, use the joystick, etc.). I am glad that on the SX900 the feature has dedicated buttons and LED lights as well.
I appreciate that chord loops can be named, saved, exported/imported and also banks.
Also, saving if needed loops with registries is a such a good thing.

I would like to be able to create/edit loops manually or step by step on the keyboard rather then the risky record method. Also, an exchange forum/place (with proper consideration of copyright ?) would be ideal (alternatively, I hope there will be commercial CLD/CLB offerings soon). In the mean time, I use "chord looper editor", provided by a good programmer on this forum.

Thierry
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900

Offline nonchai

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2022, 07:00:43 PM »
Interested to find out if chord looper is something players use, and if it should be continued, or modified for future Yamaha Arrangers.

I think in its current very basic and non-editable form its not really of much use.

But it could be so so useful and actually lead to a new kind of future user - one more interested in composition, songwriting, production and such - as opposed to the traditional one-man-band user or home user who likes to play existing tunes and songs.

Were this feature to be improved so editing progressions and for example adding the ability to "chain" two or more of the 8 progressions together - with  a repeat parameter so one could set different progressions to run more than once before moving to the next progression - PLUS proper ability to edit progressions manually.

And... then if Yamaha/Steinberg were to add the ability for Cubase/Nuendo/Dorico chord tracks to work seamlessly with CLD and CLB files - as well as being able to record and play back and send chord data to and from Genos/900 etc - this would become something that with time would start to gain attention and traction.

Offline tbaroghel

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2022, 05:33:38 PM »
To nonchai:
Actually, you can attach a loop to a registration, and so doing move among various loops of a bank (or even different banks) as you move to a different registration. That's how I use Chord Looper most, adding to that that I use pedals to move up or down the registrations.
T
Humbly returning to arrangers after many years, with a PSR-SX900

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff, nonchai

Offline nonchai

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 01:13:51 PM »
To nonchai:
Actually, you can attach a loop to a registration, and so doing move among various loops of a bank (or even different banks) as you move to a different registration. That's how I use Chord Looper most, adding to that that I use pedals to move up or down the registrations.
T

Ooh thats useful and good to know. must say the more I dive into my sx 900 the more I discover how deep these beasts are.

Last night I spent time discovering the world of Multi-Pads..  really cool stuff when you deep dive!

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 04:26:44 PM »

I would rather see a step chord editor as a software program as it would be great for recording songs
I have not seen anything yet which is not buggy. The editor on the PSR site in utilities has timing lags and the grid lines move out of sync when listening back.
Yamaha will not let you step edit your own made chord style
By step editing a style chord for recording a song would help immensly in getting rid of loads of unwanted partial notes which i call flack which just ads mud to a song or annoying little glitches. also benefits when you put drum fills in to get then spot on.
As humans we may hit the keyboard chord a 100th of a second out and then it will print partial unwanted notes on all style tracks.
This shows up in Cubase, but you can delete those anoying bits of notes which scatter everywhere and then you can quantize.
Sometimes if the notes are larger you have to draw a missing one in.
People may say why worry about it, but i hear glitches in the styles like unwanted flams. Annoying or irritating.
Also with the chord looper it can be hit and miss if you slightly miss a chord timing as it will show a stupid looking chord with a minus 5 or something.
Then it is start all over again.
It gets better the more you practice it, but then you could of played a song anyway if you know the chords.
To me it would be more help with recordings rather than live use or if anyone has a left hand inpediment.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 04:37:32 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2022, 04:18:58 AM »
It’s reasonably easy to edit Chord Looper files with MixMaster.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline pjd

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2022, 07:02:40 PM »
Yamaha will not let you step edit your own made chord style
John :)

Hi John --

I was wondering if you had a chance to check out this post on my site:

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/step-edit-chord-looper/

I found a way to step edit Chord Looper sequences using the Chord Step edit feature of Genos MIDI Multi Recording. Short story: The expanded MIDI file produced from the Step Edit Chord Track can be imported into Chord Looper.

Chord Looper ignores all MIDI messages except the magic Yamaha MIDI chord messages. It plays the embedded chord progression.

I agree that the method is not fully integrated into the Chord Looper page. But, the method does work!

All the best -- pj