Author Topic: Tyros5 white display screen on power up. Anyone had this issue? Thanks  (Read 2471 times)

Offline rickl

Hi Folks,
     When powering up my tyros5 the display screen turns white and stays that way. The keyboard still works with the last setting loaded. Obviously I can change anything without the display. No issues with this board using it for many years and gigs until now. Yamaha support said it needs to go to a Yamaha repair service center.
Any Tyros5 owners had this issue?  I was told Yamaha only supports parts for keyboards for 12 years. Tyros5 was release in Nov 2013.
Thanks for your help.
Rick

Offline overover

Hi Rick,

The first thing I would do is connect an external display to the T5's RGB OUT terminal (aka "VGA" OUT). (Depending on the internal setting, either the internal display is mirrored here, or text/lyrics are always displayed.) Does this still work in your case? If so, you might be able to forego repairing the internal display and work with an external display instead. (You can also find relatively small TFT displays with a VGA input on the Internet.)

By the way, it shouldn't be a problem to still get spare parts for the T5. However, these are not cheap. The original LCD display costs e.g. in Germany around 400 euros and the mainboard (DM circuit board), on which the control of the LDC display is located, over 800 euros.

What I can think of right now: A musician friend of mine had a similar error many years ago (failure of the T5 display). At that time, the reason was an incorrectly routed internal ribbon cable in the display case. It was routed from the factory in such a way that the internal cable connector had come loose after the display had been pulled all the way up (to release the lock and be able to fold the display down again).

I recommend having the T5 checked out by an authorized Yamaha technician. The display case is not easy to open. If you still want to do it yourself (to check if the cable connector in question is properly connected), feel free to contact me via PM for details.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline rickl

Thanks for the quick reply on this. I thought about the external monitor idea as well but didn't have the right cable at home so I got one from work and will be trying that tonight.  I found a youtube video that shows how to open the Tyros5(agree not that simple). Years ago I had repaired my Tyros2 before which worked out ok.  When I talked my "local" repair yamaha dealer he had not worked on a tyros before hence, maybe I should give it a shot to see if it's the ribbon cable like you suggested.
Thanks again for your help.  Will let you know.
Rick

Offline rickl

Re: Tyros5 white display screen on power up. Anyone had this issue? Thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2022, 05:34:35 PM »
Update:  I took my Tyros5 to the local music store who is an authorized Yamaha service center(lucky me 10 minutes from my house) They determined that it is the motherboard that needs to be replace.
$700.00 US for the motherboard part and around $150.00 US for labor. So now I’m not sure what to do
Repair it and use it since I can still get parts for the Tyros5 for 3 more years.
Don't fix it and get a new PSR-SX900.
I wonder if there is still a demand for the 76 key Tyros5 in perfect condition if I replace the motherboard?    Feedback welcome. Thanks for your help.
Rick

Offline overover

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2022, 05:55:27 PM »
Hi Rick,

have you tested, as already suggested, whether an external display still works on the RGB OUT?

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline rickl

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2022, 03:25:09 PM »
Yes I did. External display doesn't work either. I forgot to try running the self test before I gave it to the repair shop just to see it that would display.
When I talk to him. I'll have him try it.
Thanks
Rick

Offline rickl

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2022, 01:27:12 PM »
Update: Turned out to be the Tyros5 motherboard. Fixed it. $700.00 for the board and $150.00 labor.
3 month warrenty on the board.
Rick

Offline overover

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2022, 04:36:26 PM »
Thanks for the update Rick!

I'm glad that the problem could be fixed and your T5 is now working again (although unfortunately only by replacing the motherboard, which is always relatively expensive).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 06:38:20 PM by overover »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2022, 04:36:57 PM »
Oh, that hurts! But you have your Tyros back!😀😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page