Author Topic: DSPs?  (Read 1767 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

DSPs?
« on: July 23, 2022, 11:21:05 PM »
I've noticed a number of people around here talking about assigning "DSPs" to particular voices. This was confusing because to me, DSP means “digital signal processor,” a specialized kind of computer chip that can be used to create audio effects like reverb, etc. I was not aware of anything in the Genos user interface that allowed you to designate particular chips in the hardware for chosen tasks.

Enlightenment dawned when I ran into a thread where people were using "DSP" to refer to the 28 insertion effect slots described on page 127 of the Genos Reference Manual. Apparently that's a common usage around here. Am I correct in this understanding?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline pjd

Re: DSPs?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2022, 12:01:16 AM »
Hi Michael --

That's correct -- usage on the forum is loose with respect to computer science.

I think one should say "DSP unit." Each arranger model has a finite number of DSP units which serve as either system or insertion effect units. The variation effect unit can be configured as either an insertion effect or a system effect unit. See the block diagram on page 132 of the Genos Reference Manual.

A DSP unit is a computational resource which executes an effect algorithm configured by parameters. Yamaha refers to these algorithms plus parameters as "Effect Types." There really ought to be a couple of additional named concepts here similar to what's done in Yamaha synth-land.

Yamaha's arranger documentation is kind of vague as they want arrangers to be easy to use. Most musicians think the Yamaha manuals are too tech-y already ("written by and for engineers"). Mustn't scare anyone!  :)

Now, the inside game. I really wish I knew how those DSP units are actually mapped to physical hardware. Yamaha doesn't spill the beans about internals, ever.  :o

All the best -- pj
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 01:06:45 AM by pjd »

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2022, 12:04:19 AM »
I have been using DSP settings on Yamaha keyboards for years to enhance my voices. You should try some you may be surprised.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2022, 12:06:43 AM »
Hi Michael, You understood well.
Watch this video that describes DSP insert effects. (include English subtitles).
https://youtu.be/B2ApF8wTLqE

In this video I explained how to use System effects.
https://youtu.be/zuXxXAA2Xjo
Watch my video channel

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 12:20:52 AM »
More nerdiness...

Whether it's synth or arranger, the software creates a virtualized effect system -- effect units and routing at the user level. From what Yamaha people tell me, the user level is first mapped to an internal, virtualized synthesis engine. The synths and the arranger each have their own virtualized synthesis engine. The internal layer accounts for a number of the user-level, visible differences between the two product lines. There is probably a piano synthesis engine, too.

The internal layer maps its entities to the physical hardware. The mid-/high-end arrangers use the same hardware processors as the synths. (Digital pianos, too.)

Thus, I doubt if the physical hardware is an exact mirror image of the user-level architecture. An effect unit at the user level may or may not have a direct counterpart in the physical hardware. Sure wish I could sit down with their documentation for a day...  ;)

Way TMI for most people, sorry -- pj
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:23:09 AM by pjd »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2022, 12:54:08 AM »
More nerdiness...

There is probably a piano synthesis engine, too.

Yup ;) That's why if you call up the DSP* on the piano on Genos, its category is miscellaneous, and type is damper resonance. They've had a specialized piano DSP since at least the CVP509, possibly earlier than that. On the current and CLP Clavinovas, it's called virtual resonance modelling.

Michael: simply put, yes DSP stands for digital signal processor which is supposed to mean a hardware unit, but as Paul explained in detail, it can also be software fx, which may or may not be a one to one mapping to a hardware dsp, or even a many to one.

In other words, we've just evolved the vernacular to mean an fx unit, either hardware or software. The Genos has 28 insert effects? We'll say 28 DSP's because, (also explained by Paul), we have no idea which are virtual which are physical

Mark
« Last Edit: July 26, 2022, 12:55:52 AM by Amwilburn »

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 01:46:39 AM »
Quote from: Mark
We'll say 28 DSP's because, (also explained by Paul), we have no idea which are virtual which are physical

And besides, “DSP” is less typing than “insertion effect.”  :D
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 07:43:46 PM »
That too!