Author Topic: Voices in Expansion or User memory  (Read 1024 times)

Offline Lacko

Voices in Expansion or User memory
« on: December 06, 2022, 03:24:58 PM »
When buying pack of extra voices for SX700, is there any reason to leave them in Expansion Memory or to copy them into User Memory? Except of freeing Expansion Memory, of course.

Offline DerekA

Re: Voices in Expansion or User memory
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2022, 03:27:55 PM »
If your expansion pack contains new wave samples - as most of them do - then you *cannot* move those samples out of the expansion memory space.

Offline Lacko

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2022, 03:43:24 PM »
Thanks, DerekA. I have „copied“ one voice into User Memory and now (after your reply) I see that it is only a link to that sound, but not the sound itself.

Offline BogdanH

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2022, 03:51:19 PM »
Yes, as you realized, you actually only copied voice settings into user memory. Now having it in user memory, you can change the sound of the voice, so it sounds differently than original. However, you can use that voice settings only as long original voice is present in expansion memory.

Bogdan
PSR-SX700 on K&M-18820 stand
Playing for myself on Youtube

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2022, 04:09:57 PM »
Yes, as you realized, you actually only copied voice settings into user memory. Now having it in user memory, you can change the sound of the voice, so it sounds differently than original. However, you can use that voice settings only as long original voice is present in expansion memory.

Bogdan
That's correct.
When a voice (sound) is saved in user area from Expansion memory, only the settings are saved, not the original voice.
The saved voice in user area actually is pointing to the original voice located in Expansion memory.

It's a shame that the renaming of the voice in user area is not saved with the setting.