Author Topic: Fixed tempo for all styles  (Read 2462 times)

Offline Sukanta

Fixed tempo for all styles
« on: July 21, 2022, 08:59:43 AM »
Dear experts,
Suppose I've found the tempo and chord progression of a song. Now I need to find the style. I go to the 'Pop&Rock' folder and search (using dial) for the style which matches with the song. But, different tempo parameter of each style is distracting me. Is there any way to set a fixed tempo for checking all styles?

Online DerekA

Re: Fixed tempo for all styles
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 11:04:49 AM »
Yes

Go to Menu > Style Settings > Change Behaviour

You can set the tempo to either stay as it is, or move to the new style default, when you change the style.

I always have it set to Lock because I don't want it to change. You can always press tempo + and - at the same time to force it to jump to the default if you want to.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari, Sukanta

Offline terryB

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 12:39:20 PM »
You can set one of the assignable buttons to do this, and reset. Look for the setting 'Style tempo/reset' in the assignable buttons on page 2 of 'Overall' list of settings. With the tempo you decide to try different styles press the style lock button to keep that tempo until you find what you want, then press the button again to revert to normal play.
Cheers Terry

The following users thanked this post: Sukanta

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2022, 12:41:27 PM »
Another way is to leave the style playing when you load a new one. Then the tempo won’t change.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2022, 01:56:03 PM »
Another way is to leave the style playing when you load a new one. Then the tempo won’t change.
Cheers,
Fred
Fred, that's only if that behavior is configured in the Settings first, correct?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2022, 05:00:24 PM »
Fred, that's only if that behavior is configured in the Settings first, correct?

Nope. That is the method I use all the time when looking for a style parts to make a custom song style.  ;)

Online DerekA

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2022, 05:28:25 PM »
Fred - if you go to the style settings, and switch the 'change behaviour' to 'Reset', you will get the behaviour that the OP described.

Only if you selected 'Lock' or 'Hold' will the tempo stay the same on changing a running style.

I can't remember what the default is on a new Genos. Maybe you changed it years ago and have forgotten you had to do it.
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2022, 08:35:25 PM »
Fred - if you go to the style settings, and switch the 'change behaviour' to 'Reset', you will get the behaviour that the OP described.

Only if you selected 'Lock' or 'Hold' will the tempo stay the same on changing a running style.

I can't remember what the default is on a new Genos. Maybe you changed it years ago and have forgotten you had to do it.

True. I've had mine set on "hold" for some time.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Sukanta

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2022, 04:23:36 AM »
Yes

Go to Menu > Style Settings > Change Behaviour

You can set the tempo to either stay as it is, or move to the new style default, when you change the style.

I always have it set to Lock because I don't want it to change. You can always press tempo + and - at the same time to force it to jump to the default if you want to.
Dear experts,
Thank you all for always stepping in to help when I need you most. :D :D

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2022, 10:18:45 AM »
There seems very little downside to choosing this fixed setting so I think many of us have always our had our keyboards set this way - often for so long we forgot it was originally a choice. It has a coupe of advantages, auditioning styles quickly as per the OP, but also allows you to smoothly change styles while live playing, which can be both fun and in the right circumstances, better than just changing style variations. It's a setting I think most Yamaha arranger players should consider.
Mike

Offline JanCK

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2022, 03:14:14 PM »
I’m not near my keyboard to check this out, but I seem to recall using the freeze button to keep the same tempo as I tried out various styles.  Wouldn’t this also work?