Author Topic: OverdriveWahWah Effect Parameters  (Read 1521 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

OverdriveWahWah Effect Parameters
« on: July 20, 2022, 04:44:31 AM »
I have been playing around with the preset OverdriveWahWah voice. It comes with the Multi FX Crunch Wah effect.

This effect has many parameters. I understand what some of them do, but some of them are mysterious. Is there documentation available that describes what the parameters of various Genos effects do? I looked in the Owner's Manual, the Reference Manual, and the Data List, but I didn't find anything helpful.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Re: OverdriveWahWah Effect Parameters
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 06:40:50 AM »
Taking Joe H’s advice here:

The reason I am looking for effects parameter documentation is that I want to modify the OverdriveWahWah voice so that its wah effect is VCM Touch Wah instead of the built-in auto wah from Multi FX Crunch Wah.

I just realized I can do this by turning off the wah part of Multi FX Crunch Wah and installing VCM Touch Wah in the Mixer’s effects stack for that voice.

But I’d still appreciate a pointer to whatever effects parameter documentation there may be.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2022, 06:42:23 AM by Michael Trigoboff »

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2022, 06:00:25 PM »
Hi Michael --

I sometimes look to the synthesizer documentation for help. The effect algorithms are identical between the synth and arranger product lines. Sometimes I can find additional information in the Synthesizer Parameter Manual -- too frequently, not.

Manuals for old products help, too. The SPX manuals help understand parameters for legacy reverbs. Manuals for the MU module series had brief definitions for effect parameters.

It's like Yamaha decided to throw out useful information with each product generation. There's probably some grey-beard in Yamaha engineering who remembers all of this stuff. One they die or retire, Yamaha is in big trouble.  ;) :o

-- pj

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline pjd

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2022, 06:06:41 PM »
I'm looking at the Yamaha MU128 Sound List & MIDI Data manual, right now. This manual has definitions for some of the effect parameters and, TA-DA, the internal signal routing diagrams for each effect algorithm.

Ever wonder how WAH+DIST+DELAY is wired inside (i.e., wet/dry, left/right)? Then please look here.  :D

Arg. Why did Yamaha ever drop this information? Yeah, home users don't care, but sound programmers do care.

All the best -- pj

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 08:03:17 PM »
Don't know if this helps, but under Legacy there *are* a bunch of touch wah's + distortion/od's. You could always make delay a global effect (since you'd likely want the same delay time /tempo for other instruments using delay simultaneously)

There's also wah + OD/Dist + del, and although they don't specify those are touch wahs, every 2nd one seem to be (probably ran out of character spaces in the text box)

Mark

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 09:27:15 PM »
Hi Michael,

You could use the demo version of Midiland's "Midifile Optimizer XI" to see all DSP settings of Preset Voices. Here you can very easily "play" with all available DSP parameters (e.g. to hear what effects the individual settings have).

>>> https://www.midiland.de/de/OptimizerXI_DLdemo.htm

It is important that the USB-MIDI Port 1 (= "Digital Workstation 1") of the Genos is set under "Options > Show settings > tab MIDI > Output" and that "Yamaha Genos" is set as the Output Instrument. In addition, the two checkmarks for "DSP Management" and "All DSP Parameters" must be set in the "Yamaha DSPs" tab in the Options window. (See also the attached picture.)

Simply load any MIDI file in the "Optimizer" and click on the "SOUNDS" button to open the window with the currently assigned Voices. Then double-click on a specific Voice to revoice this MIDI channel, e.g. with the Voice "Panel > E. Guitar > OverdriveWahWah (S.Art!)".

With a mouseover over the activated DSP buttons (top right in the main window) you can see which DSP number is assigned to your Voice. Then click on this button to open or change the DSP settings.

Note: Unfortunately, you CANNOT SAVE with the DEMO version of the Optimizer XI.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 09:35:00 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 11:02:02 PM »
Quote from: pjd
I'm looking at the Yamaha MU128 Sound List & MIDI Data manual, right now. This manual has definitions for some of the effect parameters and, TA-DA, the internal signal routing diagrams for each effect algorithm.

Ever wonder how WAH+DIST+DELAY is wired inside (i.e., wet/dry, left/right)? Then please look here.  :D

Just found and downloaded it. Thanks!

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 11:29:13 PM »
Quote from: Chris
You could use the demo version of Midiland's "Midifile Optimizer XI" to see all DSP settings of Preset Voices. Here you can very easily "play" with all available DSP parameters (e.g. to hear what effects the individual settings have).

That looks like it’s going to be really useful. Thanks!