Author Topic: Another doubt  (Read 3960 times)

Offline Genos1957

Another doubt
« on: July 17, 2022, 06:10:49 PM »
Dear Genos experts, I would like to try to explain this dilemma that I have had for some time now, but which finds no answer. So, if I prepare a memory Bank that involves the use of a song (midi or audio), in the home screen I will naturally see its title. But if I then switch to a memory bank that only uses the style, the relative file of the previous memory bank is still visible and operational on the home screen. Is there a way to save a "clean" memory bank without leaving a trace of the previous audio or am I completely wrong with the procedure?

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Another doubt
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 06:14:24 PM »
No. The best you can do is have a file with a blank name (say a single space), then memorize it on the following registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 11:38:02 PM »
You should be able to create a 'blank state' registration on startup, make sure you save the song as part of the registration, which will actually be null.

Then when you load that registration, it should load up the null song, i.e. blank.

Mark

Offline DerekA

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
When you save a registration, you tick the things you want the registration to affect.

If anything is unticked, then when you load that registration only those things will change - anything unticked will stay exactly as it was.

(NB Freeze can stop things changing too, but that's not what you're talking about here)
Genos

Offline Genos1957

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 10:39:46 AM »
Thanks, but maybe I didn't make myself clear. If I save a song in a memory bank, and then switch to another memory bank that doesn't use a song, whatever I do remains in my memory The previous song, and there is no way to remove it.

Offline acparker

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 11:44:43 AM »
I'm not sure if I understand exactly what your issue is ...

But if it is what I *think* it is, try pressing 'SONG' twice, then the exit button.

I hope that helps!

Adam

Offline DerekA

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 01:00:30 PM »
Thanks, but maybe I didn't make myself clear. If I save a song in a memory bank, and then switch to another memory bank that doesn't use a song, whatever I do remains in my memory The previous song, and there is no way to remove it.

That's exactly what I said. *Anything* that is *not* included in the new registration will be left exactly as it is. That's how it is supposed to work.

Is this giving you an actual problem or is it just an annoyance ?
Genos

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 01:15:10 PM »

We understood.

There’s no way a registration can remove a file that’s been loaded. The lonely thing you can do is load another file.

Or, the easier way is just ignore it. When a style loads a Multipad I don’t use, I don’t worry about it — I just ignore it. You can do the same with the song.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Duffy

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2022, 11:12:40 PM »

I have this same problem and have been trying to get rid of a midi for over a year now.
The midi is one of Yamaha's play along files which are built in so I can't erase it.
I never use them so I don't know how it got into so many of my registrations and, to make it worse, it's in the A player which I only use for Audio (B player being used for Midi's)
As the midi sets it play a style with Sync start, it changes my style, starts itself up and plays the midi file and it's own choice of style together.
I repeatedly delete it in all 10 memory slots, change A player from Midi to audio player, and save the registration bank again.
AT A LATER DATE, I FIND IT'S BACK AGAIN AND THE ONLY REAL ANSWER IS TO SCRAP THE REGISTRATION FILE COMPLETELY.
Adding to this problem is Yamaha's refusal to allow copy and paste to the whole bank which means doing all this 10 times over each time I have to do it.
Have tried saving them with an empty midi file but the Yamaha one still returns.
It cannot be left and ignored when it sets itself up to change the style and Sync Start too.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2022, 01:32:40 AM »
I have this same problem and have been trying to get rid of a midi for over a year now.
The midi is one of Yamaha's play along files which are built in so I can't erase it.
I never use them so I don't know how it got into so many of my registrations and, to make it worse, it's in the A player which I only use for Audio (B player being used for Midi's)
As the midi sets it play a style with Sync start, it changes my style, starts itself up and plays the midi file and it's own choice of style together.
I repeatedly delete it in all 10 memory slots, change A player from Midi to audio player, and save the registration bank again.
AT A LATER DATE, I FIND IT'S BACK AGAIN AND THE ONLY REAL ANSWER IS TO SCRAP THE REGISTRATION FILE COMPLETELY.
Adding to this problem is Yamaha's refusal to allow copy and paste to the whole bank which means doing all this 10 times over each time I have to do it.
Have tried saving them with an empty midi file but the Yamaha one still returns.
It cannot be left and ignored when it sets itself up to change the style and Sync Start too.

This isn't the same problem, Duffy.

In your case, if you don't want a midi file loaded, you need to re-memorize the registration ensuring the "Midi Song" and/or "Audio Song" (as appropriate) are not checked.

Second, a midi file does not change "the style and Sync Start". Only the Style group does that. If these settings are changing when you don't want them to, again, you need to re-memorize the registration.

It's true that Yamaha's implementation of memorizing registrations can be frustrating. But it's no use lamenting the fact. What's also true is you can get registrations to do what you want.

You need to do two things:
1. Believe your problems can be solved.
2. Re-memorize your registrations to get them to do what you want.

If you're still having problems, post your registration, and I'll fix it for you.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline acparker

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2022, 11:35:02 AM »
What can be confusing is that if the Registration does NOT save song info, the screen will continue to show whatever song(s) were previously loaded.

You can clear a song from the screen by pressing the "SONG" button twice, followed by the 'exit" button. 

Then try reloading the Registration in question.  If it repopulates the Song, it is saved in the Registration.  If it doesn't, it's not saved in the Registration, and was hanging on from the previous registration.

I hope this helps a bit.

Adam

Offline Duffy

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2022, 12:38:50 PM »
Thanks fellas, I think I've finally done it but no thanks to Yamaha and their stupid way of working.
It would help if the song slots were automatically cleared when a new registration was loaded or an option to do this in the SAVE REG screen.
Failing that, a song clear button would help so that it could be done with one button press.
I still think we need an option when doing anything, such as setting volume levels for songs etc. to do it in all ten registrations at once instead of each one separately.
Such a lot of time is wasted when doing things when copying and pasting have been in existence for years.

I still don't know how "Love really hurts without you" midi and Soul Shuffle style came to be in those slots because I never use the Yamaha Midi Presets and,
as I said before, I never put Midi's in SONG A.
Thanks again

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2022, 04:14:05 PM »
What can be confusing is that if the Registration does NOT save song info, the screen will continue to show whatever song(s) were previously loaded.

I'm not sure why it's confusing, but it's certainly by design. And thank goodness Yamaha designed it this way.

If I tell a registration I don't want the transposition changed, I don't want it changed. If I tell a registration I don't want the multipad changed, I don't want it changed.

Same with a song file. If I tell the registration not to change it (by having it "NOT save song info"), I don't want it changed.

If I DO want it changed (from something to nothing, for example), I need to tell the registration that.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Duffy

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2022, 04:33:10 PM »
I think that what acparker means is, and I agree with him,  that when you load a new registration (unless you also loaded a song)
Your old songs, both Audio & Midi, are still loaded up and ready to play in the A player and B player.  Why should anyone want this to happen?
If you have been working on a Rock n Roll registration and, after finishing, decide to play a gentle slow waltz, why would you want a R & R Audio or midi song to be in those memories?
If you save your new registration without removing the songs already loaded in the players, you will inadvertently be saving those out of place songs along with your registrations.
That will be how I got so many copies of a playlist midi and style in a lot of my registrations, thus causing many hours work removing them without spoiling the registration.
There should be an option to ALWAYS automatically clear both A & B players when loading a new registration, as that new registration is very unlikely to need those 2 songs
It seems that with the method you use, you need to keep altering what the registration will save and I can't understand why you would want to keep the songs after changing the Registration.
To us, It makes sense to do that once only, so it would be an advantage to have a clear songs box to tick.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2022, 04:38:53 PM by Duffy »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2022, 12:11:20 AM »
I think that what acparker means is, and I agree with him,  that when you load a new registration (unless you also loaded a song)
Your old songs, both Audio & Midi, are still loaded up and ready to play in the A player and B player.  Why should anyone want this to happen?
If you have been working on a Rock n Roll registration and, after finishing, decide to play a gentle slow waltz, why would you want a R & R Audio or midi song to be in those memories?
If you save your new registration without removing the songs already loaded in the players, you will inadvertently be saving those out of place songs along with your registrations.
That will be how I got so many copies of a playlist midi and style in a lot of my registrations, thus causing many hours work removing them without spoiling the registration.
There should be an option to ALWAYS automatically clear both A & B players when loading a new registration, as that new registration is very unlikely to need those 2 songs
It seems that with the method you use, you need to keep altering what the registration will save and I can't understand why you would want to keep the songs after changing the Registration.
To us, It makes sense to do that once only, so it would be an advantage to have a clear songs box to tick.

Your problem is that there are lots of people who want the song files to stay in "memories". When I'm playing along to a song, I like to change voices, but I don't want the song to stop. I want it to continue so I can continue to play along. I expect you will find this is the majority of keyboard players. So the current registration system works well for them.

Your next problem is Yamaha is not going to change the OS, so if you want your problem solved, you need to look elsewhere.

The great thing about this forum is the people who voluntarily post solutions to problems.

In the case you mention where you switch to a slow waltz, the options are:
1. Load a slow waltz song. For most players, this is the only option they need.
2. Ignore the loaded song. If you're not going to use it (as you're going to play along to a style, for example), ignore the song files. Who cares if they're loaded?
3. Load a blank song with whatever name you like.
4. Use Muddy's suggestion: "go to menu 2 select record new midi then stop it it exit to home screen and resave the registration".

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Duffy

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2022, 12:58:26 AM »
Hi Fred,
I now understand how you work on your keyboard so it now makes sense to me. You just work in a different way from the way I work.
For most of the time I play, I don't use songs at all and the one that cluttered up my registrations, I've never used because I have never played that song.
So it makes sense that you would like the songs to remain in memory and that's fine but there must be many, like me, who don't want to use a song AND,
The song I had stuck in my registrations was primed to run with Sync Start and it kept re-appearing after the registrations had been cleared.
I obviously don't want a different style of music starting up whilst I am playing something else. I have never found out why this happened.
Yamaha change the OS  sometimes anyway and there have been 3 updates whilst I have had my Genos.
They could allow us to choose whether to keep songs in memory or clear them and I would choose to clear them but that would not affect people like yourself.
Your solutions 1, 2, 3 and 4 are not a suitable way to deal with the problem because
  1 I wouldn't need to load a slow waltz if the damned registrations didn't keep loading this unwanted song up.
  2 I can't ignore it because that would not stop it from Sync Starting,
  3 would be extra messing around when playing gigs when all I want to do is load a Registration and play.
  4 would be the same as 3 and mean messing around again whilst you are sat in front of a waiting audience.
The way this song spread through many of my registrations shows that there  must be a bug in the OS which I have somehow managed to trigger.
I have owned 3 Yamaha's, 3 Technics, 3 Roland's, 2 Ketron's and a Gem keyboard and have never had problems like this before.
It does not speak highly for Yamaha if people have to find workarounds for something which should not happen anyway.
The registrations I have worked on have been reset once again to load and save Audio files but not Midi files and the problem file was Midi, in Audio A player,
so I am waiting now to see how long I will be trouble free.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 01:00:59 AM by Duffy »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2022, 01:28:20 PM »
This all points to not setting up your registration memory before starting to save registrations. If you never want songs Midi or Audio to be linked into your registrations then make sure you do not have a tick in these sections right from the start. When copying one registration to another bank make sure you remove the title of the song and check the memory box in unticked.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2022, 02:12:22 PM »
Hi Eileen,
Thanks, my registrations are set up correctly now to prevent a re-occurrence and I have learned the hard way to look at exactly what I am copying when putting a registration into a different bank.
What I cannot understand is how I work on the Genos, exactly the same as I did with my Tyros 3 & Tyros 4, and never ever had trouble with either of those.
The other strange thing being that I don't remember ever loading the "Love really hurts without you" and "Soul Shuffle" style files into memory in the first place and yet,
these are the files that have been spread around so many of my registration banks. I have never played that song and don't even particularly like it  (especially now).
My registrations will be very carefully watched from now on and I do know that there are bugs in the registration system (especially with the left hand memory slot) and have been from the start.
Forewarned is forearmed and so I hope to be trouble free now.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »
Love Really Hurts with soul shuffle is a song in the Playlist Examples. You may have had this loaded and not noticed when your saved your registration.