Author Topic: An interesting (and secret?) Genos feature discovered!  (Read 2520 times)

Francesco Massa

An interesting (and secret?) Genos feature discovered!
« on: July 15, 2022, 11:28:40 AM »
Hi friends,
I discovered an interesting function concerning a special behaviour of the RIGHT 3 part when RIGHT 1, 2, 3 are playing together.
Basically, if you deactivate the split point (i.e. RIGHT 1, 2, 3 covering the whole right part equally, without split) and set RIGHT 3 as MONO, it will always follow the highest note in the chord, creating very interesting melodies and textures. For some of you this may be absolutely trivial, but for others it may be extremely useful. In my case, I created a registration where RIGHT 1 and 2 use Kino Strings and a choir, while RIGHT 3 uses an Indian flute in MONO, and something absolutely spectacular comes out. Imagine replacing the flute with a soprano solo voice! I don't know, it's a sort of "Ensemble" mode, but outside the Ensemble function.
Again, some might find this unuseful, but in my case it opened up new performance possibilities, because in this way you have no need to split the keyboard in a fixed zone for RIGHT 3, Genos follows your melody in the whole keyboard, keeping chords on the other parts.

You have to try it. I think I will record a video to show this function properly, using words is difficult to explain.

Francesco

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Jeff Hollande

Re: An interesting (and secret?) Genos feature discovered!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2022, 11:37:41 AM »
Hey Francesco :

Thank you for this very interesting and useful information. :)

Also applicable for Tyros and SX keyboards ?

Plse advise. Thank you, JH

The following users thanked this post: vall47

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 01:04:18 PM »
Hi Francesco,
If I understand you correctly you should find this works for (non SA2) voices in any RH voice, not just R3. I often use a lead voice set to mono if I want to manually chord in the RH.
As a further variation you can if you wish turn on multiharmony which will cause all 3 voices to play in auto harmony regardless of whether mono is set or not, which doesn't always result in the best ensemble sound. In such cases you can still cause an individual voice to play lead in mono by setting to mono and selecting crossfade in Mono Type, while remaining voices continue in autoHarmony.
(With cunning, this can also be made to work with SA2 voices where mono is normally greyed out ;) ).

John
« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 06:23:43 PM by jwyvern »

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 01:19:50 PM »
To complete the discussion with something that is not directly linked, but similar.

on PA-5X, I understood that there is also an interesting feature very very useful for counterpoints (generally solo),

It seems that changes of chords in a style (generally triggered with the left hand and associated with an optional left voice) can be triggered ONLY when the velocity is UNDER a low threshold, allowing to use the left hand and the left voice to play counterpoints without triggering an annoying chord change, simply by playing with higher velocities.

I would like to have this feature on Genos.

Regards.
Soundphase.

Offline John T4

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 04:28:43 PM »
the ensemble feature on the genos could do this, maybe with different voices under each finger of the right hand

just a thought

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 10:50:30 AM »
Hey Francesco :

Thanks for your feedback.
Hopefully someone else can answer my question. Cross my fingers ... ;)

Bye for now, JH

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
Hey Francesco :

Thank you for this very interesting and useful information. :)

Also applicable for Tyros and SX keyboards ?

Plse advise. Thank you, JH

Hi Jeff, the ability to set to mono (so you create a "lead voice" playing chords) has always been a standard option as far as I am aware. It was present on the Tyros's, certainly when using split mode and I'm guessing it would have worked in full KB mode as Francesco describes. Full KB per Francesco setup works on Genos so it is likely to work on SX's so worth a try :).
JohnW

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 01:03:25 PM by jwyvern »