Author Topic: "N.C." "No Chord" techniques  (Read 1342 times)

Offline FrankJaco

"N.C." "No Chord" techniques
« on: July 14, 2022, 02:44:43 PM »
Hello All,
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to handle a short section of music when you encounter an "N.C."... where the chord, and/or chord and style needs to drop out for a bar or two and then start up again.  What do you think is the easiest way to accomplish these two situations?

(I hope my question is clear :-) )

Thx,

fj

Offline overover

Re: "N.C." "No Chord" techniques
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 03:24:49 PM »
Hi Frank,

If you want the Style's drums to continue playing, you have two options for suppressing the rest of the accompaniment:

1. Turn ACMP off briefly and then back on again.

2. Simultaneously play three adjacent notes (e.g. C + C# + D) with your left hand in the Chord Detection section of the keyboard.

The accompaniment resumes as soon as you play the next chord with your left hand. NOTE: This will NOT work with the "Single Finger" or "Multi Finger" fingering setting.

If you want to stop the Style completely, press the SYNC START button (NOT SYNC STOP ;) ). When playing the next chord with your left hand the Style will start again.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 03:35:21 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 08:37:04 PM »
Another option, when using registrations, is to set the style volume to zero in one reg, and use it during the NC portion.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2022, 10:15:15 PM »
All three ways work well, but remember that Fred's is dependent on you counting steadily through the N.C bar(s) so that when you change to the next registration, you're in time.

For 1 or 2 bar N.C passages where you only want the chords and bass to stop, the 'smash chord' of C, C#, D probably works best, and you can (and often should) combine this with a Break or Fill-in.
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline FrankJaco

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 10:59:15 AM »
Thanks All!
I was not aware of the three adjacent note "smash" chord method. That sounds like a great option! I will give all methods a try.

fj

Offline dinapoli

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2022, 02:12:46 AM »
How about stop the style and play the keyboard above the split?  If it's needed you can lower an octave of the right.