Author Topic: Retrieve Registration Settings from .usr file  (Read 1966 times)

tilusnet

Retrieve Registration Settings from .usr file
« on: July 17, 2022, 01:10:23 AM »
Hi

I am using a good number of Registration Memory banks, I even save those to USB stick under the so called "user" (.usr) files. Trouble is, without rigurous bookkeeping I no longer know which file, bank and memory contained what settings.

Is there a way to decode the Registration Memory settings from a .usr file? It would be so much more elegant.

Thank you.

Offline SciNote

Re: Retrieve Registration Settings from .usr file
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 01:26:30 AM »
I am not sure what you are asking.  First of all, I'm assuming you have a PSR-E400-series keyboard.  If not, please let us know, as that could make a difference.  If you are looking to just extract the data for a USR file on your computer, I would think it's theoretically possible, as those USR files are stored in a specific format, and using something called a hex-editor, which allows you to see the byte data of a file or block of memory, might allow you to see the specific bytes that contain the registration data.

However, I'm not sure how that would help with organizing your banks of registrations, as there would still be no way to encode an actual name for your specific registrations, even with a hex-editor.  The data format for the USR files just does not have the space for titles or names.  The only thing I can think of off hand that you could do is, if you have these USR files in your computer, make a copy with a different filename -- on that is descriptive of the registrations contained in that USR file.  And then, when you'd want to load it on your keyboard and use it, just make a copy with the original Yamaha-format file name and the you should be able to transfer it.  Admittedly, that would still be kind of cumbersome.

If I am misunderstanding your question, please let me know.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 02:09:49 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

tilusnet

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 02:30:32 AM »
Thanks @SciNote, you're not far off, but didn't make myself clear enough.

Let me explain.

Yes I generate these usr files with a Psr-e463.
The user files contain, amongst others, all the style, DSP, voice and effect parameters associated with a memory bank registry. Please see in my attachment the information saved within.

Now, once I saved these settings and they get baked into these usr files, I'd like to retrieve all those parameters back to save me all the bookkeeping, eg USR002 Bank 7, slot 3 had the DSP on with Knob B turned 75%.
Otherwise I have to blindly load these files from a USB without knowing exactly what parameters they affect and how I should post tune them.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline SciNote

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2022, 07:30:05 AM »
Okay, so is it the case that you'd like to, say, be able to easily print out or call up a file that lists the parameters and their values of all the registrations of a particular USR file?  My guess is that, with a hex-editor, you could probably write some sort of program to accomplish this, but I have no idea as to what the format is for the various bytes of a USR file is.  There is someone here, SeaGtGruff, who was excellent with this kind of information, but he has not been on here for a while.

But even then, there would still be some bookkeeping (<-- Interestingly, one of the few words with 3 pairs of two letters in a row... The ookkee part of "bookkeeping"!) necessary to keep track of your parameter lists so you'd know which parameter list goes with which registration in which USR file.

You're probably aware of this, but if not, keep in mind that when you load a USR file and call up a registration, almost all of the parameters of that registration are easily viewable in the function list.  So, if you store a USR file with 8 banks of 4 registrations each, and then you later load up that same USR file, all of the data for those registrations get loaded in memory (and of course, overwrite whatever was previously in those registrations), and whenever you than access any of those registrations to play music with them, you can easily go through the function list and see exactly what the various parameters of that registration are, such as main voice volume, dual voice number, chorus type, or whatever -- dozens of them are accessible.

I believe it is even the case that the true values of parameters you adjust with the knobs are saved and are visible in the function list when you call up a registration.  For example, you might use the knobs to adjust the filter cutoff and resonance, and of course, you'll hear the effects of these knob changes in the sound that you're playing, but if you then look at the function parameters for filter cutoff and resonance, you'll see that they don't change -- yet.  But after you adjust the knobs, if you then save your newly-adjusted sound as a registration, when you then call up that registration and look at the filter parameters in the function list, I am almost positive that they will now reflect the true values that you set using the knobs.

One of the big exceptions is pretty much what you mentioned: the positions of the knobs for the DSP.  The function list has a parameter for the DSP type, but not for the values or positions of the knobs for the DSP function.  I don't see a parameter for the on/off status of the DSP either, but I believe it is also stored in a registration.  They're stored somehow, and maybe they can be called up with a hex editor -- as I would think those parameter values are stored SOMEWHERE, but they are not in the function list.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 07:42:23 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios