Author Topic: style edit, load, & save  (Read 3294 times)

ekurburski

style edit, load, & save
« on: July 14, 2022, 12:45:12 AM »
Is there any way to edit, save and load user styles on the new 425 & 473?

Offline SciNote

Re: style edit, load, & save
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
Unfortunately, there is no way to really edit or save styles on the PSR-E473/EW425.  The closest feature they have is the ability to change the voices of the style tracks, and then those new settings can be saved to a registration.  But you cannot actually create or edit the details of a style, such as changing the rhythm of the drums, background melodies, or pads, or by adding new style tracks, onboard these keyboards.  However, you CAN load external styles from other sources, including (as far as I know -- I've never done this personally) styles found on this site.

If these newer keyboards are similar to the previous versions of the E/EW400 series models, then the general limitations are that the styles cannot be more than about 50k-bytes in size, and they can only have two variations.  I think if you try to load a style with 4 variations, like what can be played on the higher-end PSR-S/SX models, then only variations A and B will work.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2022, 09:34:19 AM by SciNote »
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios

ekurburski

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2022, 12:49:56 AM »
ty for the reply.  Unfortunately that's my deal breaker.  The 425 looks like a super kb but  I need to be able to save user styles.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2022, 01:53:08 AM »
ty for the reply.  Unfortunately that's my deal breaker.  The 425 looks like a super kb but  I need to be able to save user styles.

Why don’t you just edit the style somewhere else, then use it on the 425?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

ekurburski

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 08:05:57 PM »
Where would you recommend Fred?  Can I load the edited style?

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 08:46:45 PM »
Where would you recommend Fred?  Can I load the edited style?

All I know is what @SciNote told you: "However, you CAN load external styles from other sources".

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline SciNote

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 10:06:34 PM »
Yep... from the PSR-E473/EW425 manual found on a Google search...

"Style Data
Style files (.sty) created externally can be imported
into Styles 291 to 300 and used in the same way as
built-in Styles."

Check your manual to verify -- looks like this is on page 59.

So, it can load up to 10 styles, with the .sty extension and in Yamaha's style format, that can then be put in style numbers 291 through 300.  You'd create or edit the style on a computer or a higher-end keyboard with this capability, store it from there onto a USB flash drive, then load it into the PSR-E473/EW425 from the flash drive.

Like I said, I've never done this personally (even my older PSR-E433 can load up to five styles, but I've never done this), so I cannot give detailed and specific instructions, but I know it is possible.  But unfortunately, such a style cannot be created in the E473/EW425 itself -- it has to come from an outside source.
Bob
Current: Yamaha PSR-E433 (x2), Roland GAIA SH-01, Casio CDP-200R, Casio MT-68 (wired to bass pedals)
Past: Yamaha PSR-520, PSR-510, PSR-500, DX-7, D-80 home organ, and a few Casios