Author Topic: Loading styles question  (Read 2637 times)

Offline Stitch26

Loading styles question
« on: July 13, 2022, 09:06:24 AM »
Like many of us we have a huge collection of styles. Some of them are not compatible with my Genos. So my question is how do I find and eliminate the the faulty ones in a quick manner. I don’t particularly want to test each style one by one. Thanks in anticipation.

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Loading styles question
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2022, 11:06:41 AM »
Like many of us we have a huge collection of styles. Some of them are not compatible with my Genos. So my question is how do I find and eliminate the the faulty ones in a quick manner. I don’t particularly want to test each style one by one. Thanks in anticipation.

What do you mean by "not compatible"? They’ll all load and play. So what is the criteria to determine compatibility?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 01:53:25 PM »
I’m afraid you have just found the downside of large style collections. There is no shortcut for sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Mike

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2022, 02:07:39 PM »
Years ago, when styles were becoming readily available, Gary Diamond posted his rule on the files. After downloading, you test them immediately. Ones you don’t like, you discard.

I’ve followed that rule ever since. If I’m not willing to test them right away, I don’t download them.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

The following users thanked this post: tangothomas

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2022, 02:38:19 PM »
That’s the only way Fred. And it’s not just whether they work or not, there’s nothing more annoying than downloading 10 versions of a ‘custom’ song style only to find they are only renamed pre set styles.
Mike

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 02:43:18 PM »

Hi Stitch26,

You can use the PC (Windows) program "PSR Style Database" by Peter Wierzba to manage all your Styles:
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,58076.msg450314.html#msg450314

You can display up to 20 different Style parameters at the same time (= columns in the list). For example, you can easily find duplicates or Styles with errors in the MIDI/file structure. Of course there is also a column for the Style file type (SFF1 / SFF2).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 08:47:35 PM »
How to delete a style that is not compatible... on the PSR sx900 or on a mac computer?
Many thanks, John

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2023, 08:06:50 AM »
Good morning,
Like many, I have after downloading an immense quantity of style in duplicate, in triplicate if not more knowing that many will never be used.
To proceed with an elimination from the PC, I keep by comparison what has the most bytes and the most recent, i.e. greater than the year 2010.
Then I try to see if they can be dedicated and finally I delete those that don't correspond to my musical tastes because anyway, I know that I will never use them.
Lately, I listened to all the styles contained in the Genos Preset. It's amazing to see the number of dedicated styles from intro 3 but also from intro 2.
So this is how I proceed.
Friendships
Christian

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2023, 10:49:45 PM »
Hi all,

FYI: Peter Wierzba recently updated the "PSR Style Database" program to V4.10. :)
>>> https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,65888.msg499156.html#msg499156

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline overover

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2023, 11:07:50 PM »
How to delete a style that is not compatible... on the PSR sx900 or on a mac computer?
Many thanks, John

Hi John,

If the file(s) to be deleted are displayed on the SX900, you should be able to delete them in the Style Selection display as usual (touch "File" icon > touch "Delete" > select the desired file(s) by touching each item > touch "Delete" at the top of the display > touch "Yes").

On Mac, you can delete style files in the Finder as usual.

Unfortunately, the program "PSR Style Database" recommended above is not available for macOS. To use it on Mac, you would need to have Windows installed on Mac (e.g. with "BootCamp" or in a virtual machine with "Parallels" or with "VirtualBox"). But the easiest way would be to buy a (used) laptop with Windows. (Any laptop running Windows 10 will do the job.)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 11:11:32 PM by overover »

The following users thanked this post: JohnStarbuck

Offline overover

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2023, 11:21:43 PM »
Good morning,
Like many, I have after downloading an immense quantity of style in duplicate, in triplicate if not more knowing that many will never be used.
To proceed with an elimination from the PC, I keep by comparison what has the most bytes and the most recent, i.e. greater than the year 2010.
Then I try to see if they can be dedicated and finally I delete those that don't correspond to my musical tastes because anyway, I know that I will never use them.
Lately, I listened to all the styles contained in the Genos Preset. It's amazing to see the number of dedicated styles from intro 3 but also from intro 2.
So this is how I proceed.
Friendships
Christian

Hi Christian,

If you haven't yet used the "PSR Style Database" program mentioned above, I strongly recommend that you install it and work with it. You'll be amazed at how easy style management is with it. If you have specific questions about this, just get in touch here again.

By the way, you can also use this program in MIDI file mode. Here, too, the program (then called "Midi Database") is a "must have" in my opinion. :)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 11:23:26 PM by overover »

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2023, 06:39:56 AM »
Hello Chris,
Thank you for these nice tips.
Christian

Offline overover

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2023, 09:19:34 AM »
You're welcome, Christian! Thanks for your kind feedback. :)

Best regards,
Chris