Author Topic: problem getting EXPRESSION pedals working  (Read 963 times)

Offline nonchai

problem getting EXPRESSION pedals working
« on: July 11, 2022, 07:02:00 PM »
I tried two different expression pedals with EXP input 2 yesterday -

the M AUDIO expression pedal  ( with the TRS switch in both positions ) and also a LINE6 expression pedal but couldn't get either to work.

HELP!!

( pretty please )

( EXP INPUT 1 has a sustain pedal going in - M AUDIO - which works fine )
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 07:03:06 PM by nonchai »

Re: problem getting EXPRESSION pedals working
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 11:52:27 AM »
I use an M-Audio expression pedal on my M-Audio midi keyboard (switch to M-Audio) and my T5 (switch to Other). Not only do they work perfectly, but I can operate them both together and individually. The price/performance ratio is right here. They are better than the most expensive pedals and don't squeak. I would buy them again in a heartbeat.

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 03:01:37 PM »
I tried two different expression pedals with EXP input 2 yesterday -

the M AUDIO expression pedal  ( with the TRS switch in both positions ) and also a LINE6 expression pedal but couldn't get either to work.

HELP!!

( pretty please )

( EXP INPUT 1 has a sustain pedal going in - M AUDIO - which works fine )

Hi nonchai,

On the SX900, which you're probably talking about here, the default setting for the Foot Pedal 1 jack is "Sustain on/off". Foot Pedal 2 jack controls the Super Articulation Voices by default.

Please connect the Expression Pedal to the POWERED OFF keyboard to the Foot Pedal 2 jack. For M-Audio pedals, set the polarity switch to "Other". During the boot process, the connected pedals must not be pressed/moved!

When the Home screen is displayed, press the Direct Access button and then press/move the pedal to be adjusted. This opens the "Assignable" display (also accessible via "Menu > Assignable"). Here you set the desired function for "Foot Pedal 2" (e.g. "Volume"). You can also set here which Parts the volume pedal should affect. Basically, I only use it to control the RIGHT parts.

The current Foot Pedal settings are automatically saved to the System Setup on the SX900 when the Assignable display is closed (with Exit button or X symbol). In addition, the Pedal settings can also be saved in Registrations (with the check mark "Pedal").

Please see also the chapter "Assigning Specific Functions to the Pedals and Panel Buttons (Assignable)" on pages 111 - 116 in SX900 Reference Manual.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 03:11:13 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively, wersianer, nonchai

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 04:52:09 PM »
Chris has given you a nice “how to” set of instructions, but the bottom line is here that the keyboard doesn’t know which functions to control with which pedal until you tell it. As Chris said you can assign settings like this to a set up registration. Although default settings might work well for many people, it’s a good idea to make a set up registration with all your favorite set ups - pedals, split points, fingering mode etc etc - which  you press every time you start up. Then you know the keyboard is ready to go just the way you like, and it’s also a quick way to restore it if you change  things. In fact you can make a couple of registrations if you have some repeating preferences. For example my own starting registration sets my 4 pedals to accmpnt stop/start, tap tempo, sustain, pitch bend, my fingering mode to AI full keyboard, and my starting voice to Grand piano. I have a second which sets everything the same except fingering mode to Fingered on bass and split point to B below middle C. I can then easily shuffle between the two.
Mike
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 10:24:01 AM by mikf »

The following users thanked this post: wersianer, mhack, nonchai