Author Topic: HS7 speakers  (Read 2820 times)

Robert52

HS7 speakers
« on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:08 PM »
Hi all
I’m new to this forum so I hope I’m doing this correctly. I have researched the possibility of upgrading my Genos speakers to HS7 for home use only. The aim is to achieve better clarity as I think the Genos has more to offer in terms of realism accuracy and overall detail. I would appreciate any comments on this from members who have experienced the comparison. I’m not a bass heavy listener however I would like the bass to be an accurate representation without the need for a sub. Also what type of cables are required for the connection I’ve heard mentioned balanced and unbalanced and don’t have a clue what this means or it’s effect. Any comments I hope will help me make the decision upgrade or not!

Regards
Robert

Re: HS7 speakers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 03:03:45 PM »
Hi Robert and welcome aboard!

The Yamaha HS studio monitor series are a highly regarded and accurate speaker. They don't add any color to the sound, so they will reproduce the Genos sounds very well. I use the HS8 monitors without the sub.

You can use ordinary 1/4 inch cables to go from your Genos Main Outs to each HS7. You don't need balanced lines. The basic difference between the two types of cables is, unbalanced lines have two conductors while balanced lines have three. The third conductor is used for cancelling out hum. A Classic example is a mic cable, although it usually has different plugs on the ends. (I don't know why this site software decided to capitalize "Classic" :o?)

For home use, the 1/4 inch unbalanced cabling is fine. One small note - I always make sure the HS8 speakers and Genos share the same wall circuit. If they are in two different circuits, you can get hum. This is caused by the ground being sought through the Genos because it can be the path of least resistance. Otherwise, you should be fine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:04:48 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Robert52

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 07:15:09 PM »
Lee
Thanks for your response . Have you had the opportunity to actually compare the sound with the Genos speakers by any chance?

Regards
Robert

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 08:19:25 PM »
Hi Robert,

No, I have never bought the optional speakers for the Genos or Tyros series. For home use, they probably aren't too bad and may suit most peoples' needs but I also do a bit of recording, so i need studio grade speakers. I'm mostly a gigging musician, so I put my money toward the bigger quality speakers.

I'm not sure what Yamaha charges for the Genos speakers, but you can likely find something comparable or better for the same money. Let us know what you decide if you haven't already :D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 08:30:10 PM »
Dear Robert,

welcome to the Forum.

With my Genos I use Yamaha HS8 monitors, just perfect. They will give you  full response on any range and more the enough power for home audience.
I strongly suggest to get HS8: the HS7 (that I have tested before the purchase) are OK too, but the HS8 have totally different capacity in reproducing bass. So well that I did not need to get a subwoofer. Two years after I got the HS8, I would definitely buy them again.
Also the price/quality ratio is very favorable.

In any case, another advise is about WHERE you put the monitors. I have them a little behind me, quite distant, in order to get a good stereo panorama.
They sit on K&M monitor stands, with the tweeter at the same height of my ears (when I'm sitting to play the Genos).

About the original Genos speakers, they are not bad. But HS8 are another world. You'll get the real sound of Genos.

Hope this helps...

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Robert52

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 08:59:34 PM »
Angelo
Thanks for your comments I am already using the Genos speakers and feel that an upgrade will release the full sound capability of the Genos.

Regards
Robert

Offline svpworld

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 10:18:26 PM »
I have the HS7s in a small studio room. I have them on a shelf so the tweeters sit at ear level. I use them with the Genos but drive them via a Focusrite audio interface - either via the SPDIF connection or analog into a Yamaha MU mixer. The speakers sound superb, I love the fact you can trim the bass or treble according to your room acoustics. I tend to drop the bass a few dbs as the speakers are near to a wall and the upper bass can get a bit heavy. These speakers really add warmth and depth to Genos, the acoustic guitars sparkle with incredible realism and the drums sound amazingly punchy and solid. A great investment, I've tried many monitor speakers over time including the original Tyros MS speaker set with sub. You will not be disappointed.

Simon

Robert52

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 04:59:19 PM »
Simon
Thanks for your reply and comments

Regards
Robert

tyrosman

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2022, 11:38:59 AM »
the HS7 Speakers sound fantastic i took off the Ms 01 top speakers and only use the sub along with the Hs 7 speakers then tried them alone and they sound great a good thing to do here is take a look at your EQ settings along with the comp settings

Offline maartenb

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2022, 01:46:10 PM »
Robert,

After I bought the Tyros 4 with the Tyros 4 specific speakers, I bought my HS7 with the Tyros 5. So this justifies the expense of the HS-series monitors and two montior stands, as I'm already using it for two keyboards and I don't have to buy the keyboard specific ones anymore.

The Genos on HS7 sounds great. Make sure you put them at ear level when playing the keyboard, as they are designed for close range listening.

The HS8 sounds better (better bass), but is also bigger and more expensive.

The HS5 sounds too tinny, unless you use the HS8s sub woofer with it. Then it's fine.

I have my EQ on neutral, since I am interested in accurate sound. And the neutral Genos with HS7 just sounds great.

Maarten

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2022, 09:10:53 PM »
I agree about the HS7 and HS8 monitors. I have the HS8s and have often thought of buying the matching sub. It would really round out the sound. But then there's the WAF or "Wife Acceptance Factor" for those uninitiated members 🤣.