Author Topic: Midi recording (step by step)  (Read 4701 times)

Offline Sukanta

Midi recording (step by step)
« on: July 07, 2022, 09:36:52 AM »
Dear members,
Is there any way to record a song in midi format (in different channel) with sx900 in following way?
Step1: Record chord sequence with drum beat
Step2: Record melody part
Step3: Record orchestral part (filler part)
If there is any turorial, please suggest me.

Offline EileenL

Re: Midi recording (step by step)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:08:09 PM »
You can step record Melody parts. See Manuel.

The following users thanked this post: Sukanta

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 04:45:37 PM »
You want to research MIDI multi recording. There are a number of tutorial videos online.

Basically, make a MIDI quick recording just with the chords. Save the MIDI file then open it up in the Song Creator. You will see the style parts have recorded to MIDI tracks 9-16. You can play additional parts using the keyboard or multipads and select which MIDI tracks to record to, adding them one at a time.

The only tricky bit in the process is when you select a track to record to, you must remember to set the 'source' for that track - typically R1 if you're playing a melody on the keyboard. It will record the notes, and the voice you used, on the selected track. This is because tracks 1-8 have a default source - track 1 defaults to record R1, track 2 records L, track 3 records R2, track 4 records R3, track 5 records multipad1, etc
Genos

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 04:59:42 PM »
Dear members,
Is there any way to record a song in midi format (in different channel) with sx900 in following way?

Hi Sukanta,

Yes, that is possible. I would first record the accompaniment, i.e. a style, with MIDI Quick Recording. The individual style parts are recorded on MIDI channels 9 - 16. (If you play along with your right hand at the same time, the R1, R2 and/or R3 parts used will be recorded on channels 1, 3 and 4. If the left part is activated, it will be recorded on channel 2.)

You then open the resulting MIDI file in MIDI Multi Recording. There you can record/add more tracks. To do this, you must specify which part (e.g. Right1) should be recorded on the target channel (e.g. channel 5) activated for recording.

You can find all the information you need in the Genos Owner's Manual (MIDI Quick Recording, pages 90/91) and in the Genos Reference Manual (MIDI Song Recording/Editing, from page 75).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:02:40 PM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Dave Nuttall

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 11:11:11 PM »
Sukanta,
If you're doing step 1 with a STYLE, you will possibly find Peter Wierzba's "PRODUCER" program (originally by Michael Bedesem) to be very useful.

It requires a Windows PC connected to your keyboard with a USB cable.   You run the program on Windows and it creates a very small MIDI file on the PC which contains the chords you want in your song.   Then when you want to create your Step 1 MIDI, you set your keyboard into "Quick Record" mode and run the Producer program with the MIDI file you created with Producer.   The end result is that your "Quick Record" song will be as perfect as your "template" that was created by Producer.

Then add your melody and/or other tracks on the keyboard using MIDI Multi-record.

Sometimes when you do Quick Record with Producer, there will be some LAG which is a result of something on the PC that slows the data flow to the keyboard.   Usually when that happens to me, I SLOW DOWN the tempo when I'm playing back the Producer template file and then simply change the tempo on the saved MIDI on the keyboard.

You can also use PSRUTI and MixMaster to adjust your Quick Record song (i.e. quantizing chords, melody, transposing, etc.) or removing unwanted channels that result from a style or changing voices from the style.

Feel free to PM or email if you try using Producer or the other utilities and encounter problems.   I've been creating tracks from time to time using Producer, particularly when I try to record a song which has many quick chord changes or are long and difficult to record accurately when playing both the chords and melodies on the keyboard.

All the utilities mentioned are FREE here on PSR-Tutorial.

Dave
San Antonio, TX

Genos, ProTools, Cubase AI10, Win10,  BIAB-2022, Sibelius Ultimate, MixMaster, PRSUTI, StyleMagic, StyleWorks, and Baldwin SF-10 acoustic piano.

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 11:48:13 PM »
Dear members,

Hi --

I often get songs started in Step Edit, beginning with the chord track. I suggest studying the Reference Manual "Step Recording/Editing Songs (Step Edit)", page 77. Chord Step Edit is discussed on page 81.

This lets me enter a lead sheet into MIDI Multi-record. Chords are entered into the Chord Track, then Expanded into the full accompaniment. The "OnOff" event in the chord track lets you silence individual parts. So, if you only want bass and drum, for example, turn all the other style parts off.

After expanding and obtaining the accompaniment, you can then start recording individual parts like melody. I like to use this method because the chord track (lead sheet) gives me a stable structure to start with.

Hope this helps -- pj