Author Topic: How to make style chords go from lower F to higher E?  (Read 2000 times)

DaffyDuck1

How to make style chords go from lower F to higher E?
« on: July 07, 2022, 08:24:04 AM »
Lets say I want to create a style which is a simple triad chords, but the song requires them to go up in pitch starting from F, see attachment. So the F chord should be the lowest in pitch (F0 root), the G chord is higher in pitch than F (G0 root), and so on, up until Eb(Eb1 root) which is the highest. The style itself should be just a single chord, that is expected to be automatically transposed.

I spent hours fiddling with NTR/NTT/etc settings trying different high/low note limits and it just seems to be impossible to make chords go up in pitch from F to E, it throws some or all chord notes to a lower octave and there is no way around it. I can achieve it only in C scale, where I would just set B to be the highest chord and it works as expected - the whole chord progression from C to B goes up in pitch. 

Has anyone solved this kind of problem?

Thanks.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 08:27:05 AM by DaffyDuck1 »

Offline EileenL

Re: How to make style chords go from lower F to higher E?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 03:11:05 PM »
All style parts are written in the key of Cmaj. The keyboard then folllows the chords played in the left hand to follow.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2022, 04:15:33 PM »
He is wanting the CHORDS to go up in PITCH beginning with an F Chord and NOT a C Chord.

There is a video on how to do what he wants done. It is confusing to me even watching the video for help ... But I am able to get what I want every time using the video.

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2022, 04:18:21 PM »
Here is the video that shows you how to get what you want done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDIbj3EqVrE

I had it booked marked  ;D

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 04:25:18 PM »
Another quick fix would be to TRANSPOSE your keyboard up 2 or 3 steps but still play in the key of F. Also try TRANSPOSING down 2 or 3 steps and see if that works for you.

I sing so I have to get it to run up the scale in my desired key.

Offline mikf

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2022, 07:30:18 PM »
A couple of things to look out for when changing the style settings which might throw you off. The note limits have to be set for the actual notes programmed to be played by the style, not the notes you play. And watch it is set to the correct octave. You also need to look at lower note limits. When you program a style you do it in C. But when you play in F, lower note limits might kick in that starts the run high, then it runs into high note limits at the high chords and transposes down an octave. Hard to explain, but play around and you should be able to make it work.
Mike

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 07:30:50 PM »
Well.

If I understood right, it’s simple to do it.
Record c,e,g
Make it melody root trans (not fixed)
Set high note to E

That’s it.
Pedro

DaffyDuck1

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 04:27:56 AM »
Well.

If I understood right, it’s simple to do it.
Record c,e,g
Make it melody root trans (not fixed)
Set high note to E

That’s it.
Pedro

Even though I tried this setting million times, it is the one that worked at the end, thank you :D

My problem was that I was recording the chords in C0-B0 octave (it's a bass), with the low key limit also set to C0, so when I played F0 chord (with high key=E) in reality it was trying to kick me down to F(-1), but since it couldn't go any lower due to the limit it stayed at F0, which really threw me off as I thought I am still at F0 for some reason and the "high key=E" setting just isn't working as expected.

I was thinking about it from the Fm scale perspective, where F-B chords should be playing at the same octave as recorded, and C-E chords should be playing an octave higher. But I should have been thinking about it from the C scale perspective: C-E should be playing at the same octave as recorded, while F-B should be playing an octave lower than recorded. So I re-recorded my C-E-G style chord an octave higher than I needed, and everything started working as expected.

Offline mikf

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 07:11:48 AM »
This what exactly I was trying to describe in my low note limit issue. Pedro put it very simply. Glad it worked out for you.
Mike

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 05:48:23 PM »
I'm happy it worked great!!
I've been creating styles from scratch - take a look at the on-line store www.styles4k.com.

Regards,
Pedro

Even though I tried this setting million times, it is the one that worked at the end, thank you :D

My problem was that I was recording the chords in C0-B0 octave (it's a bass), with the low key limit also set to C0, so when I played F0 chord (with high key=E) in reality it was trying to kick me down to F(-1), but since it couldn't go any lower due to the limit it stayed at F0, which really threw me off as I thought I am still at F0 for some reason and the "high key=E" setting just isn't working as expected.

I was thinking about it from the Fm scale perspective, where F-B chords should be playing at the same octave as recorded, and C-E chords should be playing an octave higher. But I should have been thinking about it from the C scale perspective: C-E should be playing at the same octave as recorded, while F-B should be playing an octave lower than recorded. So I re-recorded my C-E-G style chord an octave higher than I needed, and everything started working as expected.

DaffyDuck1

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 05:23:09 AM »
This what exactly I was trying to describe in my low note limit issue. Pedro put it very simply. Glad it worked out for you.
Mike
Sorry you are right, you were talking exactly about the problem, I just didn't connect the dots the first time I was reading it, I was sure my low limit was correct, while it had to be a whole octave lower than the recorded chord.

Thanks everyone!