Author Topic: Current Yamaha Genos comparison vs. new Korg PaX5  (Read 6436 times)

Offline ton37

Current Yamaha Genos comparison vs. new Korg PaX5
« on: July 06, 2022, 02:14:17 PM »
I am of course, like many others, very curious how the new Pa5x sounds compared to the current Genos. Hopefully someone will do that when the Korg becomes more available and this will probably be featured on YT. That could be a tasting of how far the Pa5x sounds compared to the current Genos. A much better judgment will be if I can hear the current Yamaha Genos live next to the new Korg Pa5X to hear and judge for myself if you like the sounds.
For now it makes little sense to speculate about a Genos 2 (61!). Obviously, the price will be "significant" given the current economic situation and its competitor(s).
We'll just have to wait and see that comparison ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline usaraiya

Re: Current Yamaha Genos comparison vs. new Korg PaX5
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2022, 03:16:21 PM »
For those who are interested, there is a short demo of the New Live Control section of the 5X:
Quite unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2J4d-9H9U

Uday
 :)

The following users thanked this post: torben

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »
For those who are interested, there is a short demo of the New Live Control section of the 5X:
Quite unique.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB2J4d-9H9U

If we're taking about comparisons - not that unique. Genos has its 9 sliders, 6 knobs, and 7 assignable buttons. The knobs and sliders also have 3 'sets' of settings like the Korg, but all 3 can be customised. Genos doesn't have the specific assignments showcased here though (mute style parts, all multipad on/off). As for muting the parts, I've assigned a button that brings up that page directly on the screen, so I don't see using physical buttons for that as a big deal.

My opinion - for what it's worth - the Korg is a well featured, decent machine; but I doubt it will get many people trading in a Genos for it. But then I don't think Korg would have expected that anyway.

Offline ton37

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2022, 06:38:51 PM »
My opinion - for what it's worth - the Korg is a well featured, decent machine; but I doubt it will get many people trading in a Genos for it. But then I don't think Korg would have expected that anyway.
Right, I don't expect that (trading in Genos for Pa5x), but my approach is: I am very satisfied with my SX900. I want a 61-key top keyboard. The Genos was too big for me. So if the Pa5x has good sound quality (after I've HEAR it for myself in the store!), that might be a good reason to consider the 61-key Pa5x! Especially if there are 'nice' extras on top of that. Hence my curiosity about the 'overall' sound quality compared to the current Genos (or my SX900 ;-))).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 06:43:30 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

Offline pjd

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2022, 05:47:11 PM »
My opinion - for what it's worth - the Korg is a well featured, decent machine; but I doubt it will get many people trading in a Genos for it.

Hi Derek --

I agree. I doubt if I'll trade my Genos for Genos-Gen 2 either. Genos is a very good musical instrument and I don't see the point in throwing it over. The only improvement that would get me to change: a top-tier, clone-quality drawbar organ emulation. Otherwise, it's more than "good enough."  :)

-- pj

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 02:50:31 AM »
Hi Derek --

I agree. I doubt if I'll trade my Genos for Genos-Gen 2 either. Genos is a very good musical instrument and I don't see the point in throwing it over. The only improvement that would get me to change: a top-tier, clone-quality drawbar organ emulation. Otherwise, it's more than "good enough."  :)

-- pj
And much better pianos ;).
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 07:57:23 AM »
As I have posted many times I doubt people with Current TOTL models, trading in for the newest TOTL model, regardless of brand is a significant market driver. The key issue for both companies is what new buyers, or those trading much older or lesser models choose in future purchases. Some of these buyers will be influenced in their choice by quite detailed technical improvements or features, but most will be driven by the basics - sound, look, price, feel, ease of operation, keyboard size, weight…….
Most people will see this in a balanced way. Yes, some may argue the Korg sax is not as good as the Genos, or the Korg pianos are better, but both are great sounding overall. The Korg look is excellent and that alone will attract many buyers.
There is no doubt that Korg have produced a great keyboard here.
And a fully weighted 88 key … unless this weighs a ton, I predict it will do well. There was a lot of discussion on this forum about a 61 key Genos, but experience showed relatively few people chose less keys over more keys when price was similar. But this full size version …. wow… Half the cost of a CVP, better arranger section than a CVP, nice enough looking to sit well in the house, while still at least feasible for the gigging  musician. Unless it weighs an absolute ton I think the 88 key version of the PaX5 might have great success. All those piano players who see 61 keys as a bit of a joke, now have a reasonable cost, full gigging option.
Would I currently swap my CVPs for it….no. But if I was still gigging, and a bit younger and fitter, …..maybe it would be a consideration.

Mike

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 07:58:24 AM »
Hi.

For those who are interested, there is a Yamaha Genos VS Korg PA5X sounds and styles comparison at A&C Hamilton's YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSj0jwU5CU
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 08:28:49 AM »
Hi Mike :

Weight : Pa5X-88: 20.1 kg / 44.31 lbs.

Might this weight be an issue for the customer who wants to buy an 88k arranger keyboard ?

The home player does not care, I guess but ... what about the gigger ?

Plse advise. Thanks, JH

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 08:36:03 AM »
Thanks for the video, my concern is not being able to try the Korg Pa5x its one thing listening on a video and physically playing one. Also i thought the style comparison didn't make the most of the Genos, Having every ppi style and extension available he didn't make the genos pop and to be honest didn`t make the Korg pop either. I had the Pa4x and with some extensions found some amazing pianos and sounds. At the time i thought the korg had a richer sound where as the genos sharper sound. The genos had more modern styles the korg more generic. The genos easier to operate but the korg more flexible.
Unfortunately the demonstration didn`t make me want to run out and buy the Korg.

Offline ton37

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 09:31:53 AM »
Thanks @Gunnar for the link. Initially I liked 2 things very much: the 61-key version and the tilt-screen. It is now clear to see how large the Genos is compared to a 61-key instrument. This is, of course, the verdict of someone who prefers a 61-key instrument over a larger keyboard, let that be clear!
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 10:51:37 AM »
More than sounds, I would appreciate a comparison of on-board functions and what is offered to the user to work on sound or live performance.

Francesco, that's the "better" about Korg. As I said before, style editing is much more powerful, flexible and fast. And my deep experience about this aspect stopped with Pa3x (my last Korg, after many other). I can imagine that at least they kept those beautiful features, if not further increased.

I 100% agree with the many variables influencing the way one plays (and demonstrates...) an arranger.

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

keynote

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 08:37:12 PM »
Here's a new demonstration with the Pa5X going over the ins and out's of the keyboard. Korg gave the Pa5X some really nice features like expertly created combination sounds by Korg Italy, plus you're able to create and/or edit existing sounds and then quickly save it all with a touch of a button. PS: Korg did a great job with the Pianos on the Pa5X in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqGlGYH8fO8

All the best,
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 10:20:02 AM »
That is a really,really neat feature. I have often recommended that a favorite bank of sounds on Yamahas using registrations works great for people who like to play with a lot of freedom, compared to using registrations in a more conventional way, which is quite restrictive. But this is an even neater way than registrations to to do this, and I like that they already provide many factory pre set examples you can use or adjust. It can also work alongside using registrations. Definitely a big plus to Korg for this idea.
Mike

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 01:01:09 PM »
Hi.
I did a request about PA5X at a big European Webstore, and according to this it looks  like we have really good time to look at videos at YT and elsewhere. If they have missed a bit when order into the store, or the backorders for customers are real huge, I don't know.
Quote reply:
"Korg PA-5X 76 International Entertainer Keyboard is expected to come in by the supplier on 05.06.2023 (this based on current backorders)   :o

Nearly 1 year! Well, that should give Yamaha some time to put more goodies to the Genos.  ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

keynote

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 02:11:33 PM »

Quote reply:
"Korg PA-5X 76 International Entertainer Keyboard is expected to come in by the supplier on 05.06.2023 (this based on current backorders)   :o

Nearly 1 year! Well, that should give Yamaha some time to put more goodies to the Genos.  ;D

It looks like Korg may have just produced the 61-key version for the launch of the Pa5X. Now they're tooling up to produce the 76-key and 88-key versions as we speak along with more 61-key versions? If that is correct it would be the first time one of the Big Three produced only the cheapest version of a 2/3 key version product on initial release. But I heard from a guy who pre-ordered the 88-key version here in the USA and he said it was expected to be delivered at his place of residence by the end of August... 2022. Perhaps it's just a European thing? All the demos on YouTube have been the 61-key version except one and that was a demo from Korg Italy if I'm not mistaken.   As a side note, it's been reported there are a few quirks happening with the Pa5X like 'freezing up' when saving a customized style to memory, etc. So it may have been rushed out the door possibly 3/4s-baked. Cheers.

All the best,
Mike

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 02:14:45 PM by keynote »

Offline Misu

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2022, 07:02:07 AM »
Hi Mike,

They start with 61 & 76 versions - here, East Europe, all people want 76 and many already buy.
I saw also some freezing video, after 3 years with KORG I learn that this is only people mistakes.
Usual this happen at: bad wave(gray), missing wave on multi-sampler, missing multi-sampler on voice, missing wave on drum set, bad settings on style.
Too much freedom, without knowledge, is not OK.
I can freeze my SX every day using a *.sty from Roland. After this Ctrl+Alt+Del like on the computers.
Indeed the operating system is beta version many function will be added according with KORG Italy.

Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

keynote

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 06:45:29 PM »
Here's yet one more video this time describing the rhythm section of the Pa5X plus other menu and feature options.

Korg is known for providing OS updates to its arranger and other keyboards and so any glitches people are currently experiencing with their Pa5X, when appropriate, i.e. real bugs, should be addressed in a timely fashion. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQHSaKVVmF4

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny, ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
Thnx. @Keynote; interesting to see how keyboard technology is developing! The display shows a lot of information. Sometimes it can be overwhelming. I remember that my beloved Technics Kn7000 had the option to make your own homescreen(s) with the info one needed at some moment. Hoping the developers/designers remember too 😁😎
« Last Edit: July 13, 2022, 07:52:27 PM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

keynote

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »
Hi, Ton37. Yes, the Pa5X touch screen shows a lot of information and the display itself is beautiful to behold in my opinion. It has an 800x600 screen resolution compared to the Genos 800x480 resolution. I expect Yammie to increase the resolution on the Genos II. 1080x720 would be fantastic but we'll see.

Here is a link to another YouTube video from Rimmers Music in the U.K. Graham shows a comparison of sounds between the Genos and the Pa5X. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2M1begz-ds

All the best,
Mike

PdeMats

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2022, 11:00:42 AM »
The Pa5X sounds more warmer in all the sounds in all the demos I saw till now, and yes, I've been struggling a lot with some nasty harshness in my Genos that I was not used to in my other keuboard, Ketron SD1 Plus (another very warmer soounding keyboard) and the reason I never sold or traded my Genos is that I don't like to loose money, I am just a poor musician performer, but if I could, Genos was no longer with me, I was never happy with it, the weak piano sound, the harshness on the guitars and strings, even the brasses are very thin compared to Ketron. I am not the kind of pearson that fools himself, if I bought it it must be the best in the world... no, no I just open my ears and try to listen unbiased... I only regret that here in Portugal, when I bought the Genos in 2018 I listened to it through it's own speakers, that I didn't buy, and it sounded good to me, and also there was no competition in the store to me to compare, no Korg Pa4X or Ketron SD9, but in my HK Audio ELIAS system, and at home with HS8 monitors Genos kills my ears, even in the drums, every hi-pitched sound, every cymbal crash is so unpleasant... I might go for the this new Korg now, and don't be sorry for the money I will lost, I just want to play and enjoy hi fidelity sound, good sampled sounds, and see people happy with what their listening to, and me singing and playing happy for them, that's what matters the most! If anyone is interested in a lightly used Genos please PM me

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

keynote

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2022, 04:24:45 PM »
I might go for the this new Korg now, and don't be sorry for the money I will lost, I just want to play and enjoy hi fidelity sound, good sampled sounds, and see people happy with what their listening to, and me singing and playing happy for them, that's what matters the most! If anyone is interested in a lightly used Genos please PM me

Hi PdeMats, I'm sorry about your experience with the Yamaha Genos. The Genos does have a brighter sound, for instance, the Ac. S.Art CFX Concert Grand compared to the Pa5X Austrian Grand. But the Genos does include a C7 Warm & CFX WarmPad Grand too. The Pa5X also has that Live Band feel when playing with style accompaniment. The new SST (Seamless Sound Transition) boosts that perception and ability even more in my opinion. PS: You should be able to get a decent price for a lightly used Genos I would imagine. On the downside, Korg raised the price for the Pa5X but I think it's worth the price of admission especially since Korg upped the polyphony and now has the new SST function plus many more exciting features and also with new upgraded sound samples in virtually every category. It certainly gives Genos a run for its money in my opinion. But I'm gonna hold on to my Genos until Yammie releases a Genos successor. The reason is, is because I think the Genos successor will once again significantly raise the bar, especially since Yammie's had a ton of time to scale the mountain.

Here's a new video demonstration of a Rock guitar voice on the Pa5X. Every bit as good as the Genos distorted guitar(s) which is a plus. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksJKc_uqTqc

All the best,
Mike 

Offline ton37

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2022, 08:01:34 AM »
For who is interested, otherwise just skip  ;)

Just found on internet, a short comparison (facts) of the two top-keyboards:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yikqTDkfBo

- some copied comments-
Well, I guess right out of the starting gate, Yamaha only has a 76 key version of the Genos, at least that's all they have on their website.  Where can you purchase a 61 key version of the Genos?  The polyphony of the Genos is 256, but it's limited to 128 notes of polyphony for the Preset Voices and another 128 voices for the Expansion.  So, while you may be playing both sound sets, you'll only have 128 notes of polyphony, which is less than the 160 in the PA5X for the internal sounds versus the expansion pack sounds.  Then, you didn't bother to mention that Korg has dual player technology, which allows you to have two MIDI or mp3 files playing simultaneously with the ability to cross fade between them, and something new for Korg is the ability to have two STYLES playing at the same time, also sync'd with the ability to crossfade between the two or to use both at once.  That is something that, to my knowledge, no other manufacturer has.  Also, with the guitar input, you can run that input through its own effects chain, literally saving a guitar player from having to buy and carry a set of stompboxes, and a multitude of cabinet types for amplifiers.  Also, the drums on the PA5X actually vary in playback, more akin to Band In A Box, so it's not a static drum pattern, it's dynamic.  As to the storage, if I want to add a 256GB or 512GB internal card to the PA5X, that most certainly will blow away the 58GB internal memory of the Genos.  How about adding a 1TB SD card?  On top of that, I can add the USB Flash, just like the Genos.  The Genos is LIMITED to 58GB, whereas the PA5X goes far beyond that, being limited only by the size of the SD Flash card.

Finally, in the U.S., the PA5X 76 is $1,100 LESS than the Genos, both for the basic keyboard.  The speaker system for each is within $50 of each other, and the stands are comparable in price.
+++++++++++++++++
Lol basically people who has Korg pa4x/pa5x convincing themselves that its the best keyboard, and who has Yamaha Genos/Montage they convincing themselves thats the best keyboard
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 08:02:56 AM by ton37 »
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »
Thanks for the post, Ton.

Did you happen to pick up on this guy saying, "The Genos only has two versions - The 76 key and 61 key." I've never seen a 61 key version. This guy has no credibility and is a total moron.

Is he not the same person who slammed the PA5X in an earlier video? Also, why is he comparing the specs of a new keyboard with one that is 5 years old? I'd love for him to explain his rationale for doing so. The people on this forum are mostly comparing the sounds of the PA5X to the Genos and as to whether or not Korg has topped the Genos sounds.

The guy is a total idiot and should not be given any credence ???.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2022, 02:40:53 PM »
Thanx for your reaction Lee, I just want to report this vid as it thought it gives a technical comparison about the 2 keyboards based on facts. As usual most of the comments on various YT vids are 'b.-sh.t'. I do not have a single judgement, that can make everyones to his own  ;)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »
Agreed, Ton :D. Anyone can post a YouTube video and have the masses believe what is said. Like everything in this world, we must consider the source before believing anything. Thanks for the post...

Offline ton37

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2022, 03:04:35 PM »
True, as in normal life I judge based on my own experience. That also applies to the products I want, keyboards in this case. If you read yourself well, the internet CAN sometimes help you make a good choice, but try to do a good source research. The Internet is increasingly becoming a medium where many fake surveys, fake news, fake advertising and fake reviews can be found. One has to live with that...
My best regards,
Ton

Offline ton37

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2022, 07:35:37 PM »
This is not about Genos or PaX5, but about the 'entertainer pur sang': Alois Muller. Above all, see how much fun he has playing the keyboards. Whatever keyboard you play, the most important thing is: having fun in what you do!!!  ;)

Enjoy:
Rock around the clock : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0a3HjCUwdU
Europa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXZk9M2GYiU
My best regards,
Ton