Author Topic: OTS saving problem.  (Read 2239 times)

Offline brucerez

OTS saving problem.
« on: July 02, 2022, 07:19:45 AM »
Hi,

I want to select two voices from the User area, assign them into R1 and R2 and save it in one of the OTS {1-4} memory.

But every time, after selecting the both voices from the User area and saving into an OTS and save it also into the Style,
as soon as I switch to another OTS, with the same style, it changes back to the previous saved voices witch are located in the Preset area and Expansion area.

I don't know if this is the way it should work or am I missing something or doing something wrong?

My question is:
Is it possible to select two voices from the User area (Not from Preset or Expansion area), assign them for example into R1 and R2 and save in one of the OTS memory?

Thank you for any help.

Offline ckobu

Re: OTS saving problem.
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2022, 07:39:34 AM »
The process of making OTS is shown in the first minute of this video. I only used Right 1, but the procedure is the same when you want to store any PART or several of them together (R1 +R2).
https://youtu.be/RJtZxd9tJYs
(include subtitle)
Yes, you can store the voices in the USER memory in the same way.
Watch my video channel

Offline brucerez

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 07:38:06 PM »
The process of making OTS is shown in the first minute of this video. I only used Right 1, but the procedure is the same when you want to store any PART or several of them together (R1 +R2).
https://youtu.be/RJtZxd9tJYs
(include subtitle)
Yes, you can store the voices in the USER memory in the same way.
Thank you ckobu for your reply.
I watched the video, very good but unfortunately it's not answering my question because in the video he selects the voices from Preset to save as OTS, he is not selecting the voices from the User which is my problem.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 08:37:11 PM »
To answer your question, yes, the same procedure works to save user voices. *however* it will bring up the preset voice and apply the user changes, so when you call it up, it will still be the name of the preset voice it's based on. Why? because user voices are just preset voices with a midi 'wrapper'.

Easy way to test if you've got it right? Change the attack on the voice to a very slow attack (like +40 or something) and save it as a user voice, then assign it as an OTS test. If your called up OTS also has the slow attack, but the original preset voice name, it's working. Note this doesn't work on any of the sampled pianos.
Alternatively you could also add a guitar distortion effect to *any* sound, save that as your OTS, and even though it will bring up the original patch name, it'll be very obvious if it's being run through distortion FX.

Mark

Offline brucerez

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2022, 11:04:27 PM »
To answer your question, yes, the same procedure works to save user voices. *however* it will bring up the preset voice and apply the user changes, so when you call it up, it will still be the name of the preset voice it's based on. Why? because user voices are just preset voices with a midi 'wrapper'.

Easy way to test if you've got it right? Change the attack on the voice to a very slow attack (like +40 or something) and save it as a user voice, then assign it as an OTS test. If your called up OTS also has the slow attack, but the original preset voice name, it's working. Note this doesn't work on any of the sampled pianos.
Alternatively you could also add a guitar distortion effect to *any* sound, save that as your OTS, and even though it will bring up the original patch name, it'll be very obvious if it's being run through distortion FX.

Mark

Thanks Mark for the reply.

So If I understand you correctly, If I take an OTS based on a Piano preset voice and then change it to a Saxo voice from user area, after doing editing and saving process, I will hear the Saxo voice but it will still show Piano name instead of Saxo? Correct?

In this case two things come to my mind;

1- IF this is the way Yamaha designed, so the question is;
what would be the benefit and advantage for the users/musicians to deal with the wrong instrument name displayed in the screen?

2- or that could be a bug?

Thank you

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2022, 02:12:04 AM »
Thanks Mark for the reply.

So If I understand you correctly, If I take an OTS based on a Piano preset voice and then change it to a Saxo voice from user area, after doing editing and saving process, I will hear the Saxo voice but it will still show Piano name instead of Saxo? Correct?

In this case two things come to my mind;

1- IF this is the way Yamaha designed, so the question is;
what would be the benefit and advantage for the users/musicians to deal with the wrong instrument name displayed in the screen?

2- or that could be a bug?

Thank you

No. You will see the preset voice on which the user voice is based. So you’ll see some sort of saxophone.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 07:37:40 PM »
No. You will see the preset voice on which the user voice is based. So you’ll see some sort of saxophone.

Cheers,
Fred
Yup, exacly that. Not a bug.

Offline brucerez

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2022, 09:11:08 PM »
Thanks Fred and Mark for following up my post.

Actually what I am experiencing is that the voice is pointing always to a preset or expansion location and this isn't happening with Registration memory.
Just for testing I saved the same OTS in one of the Registration memory and it points correctly to the user area with correct name.
Why it works in Registration memory but not in OTS?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 09:12:34 PM by brucerez »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2022, 09:38:08 PM »

You need to ask Yamaha why questions. We can do what and how questions.

You get the voice you want either way. Why is it such a big issue what's displayed on the screen? And if it is a big issue, then use registrations rather than OTS.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline brucerez

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2022, 10:43:26 PM »
You need to ask Yamaha why questions. We can do what and how questions.

You get the voice you want either way. Why is it such a big issue what's displayed on the screen? And if it is a big issue, then use registrations rather than OTS.

Cheers,
Fred

This is for live situation when I gig with different singers and using the OTS suits better in my situation than Registration.
Using Registration, during live performance for selecting and playing a voice, takes too much time and
it's too slow because it involves more clicks and navigation in the screen to reach the voice we want to play with.

Here is why the OTS suits better than Registration in my situation:

Using Registration;
First Click (first step):
We have to click on the Regist section on the display (or by pressing the two Rgist Bank Select at the same time) to open up Registration Bank pages.

Second click (second step):

Searching/Finding and Selecting the Registration Bank through the pages.

Third click (third step):
Pressing/selecting the Registration memory button to reach the voice we want to play with.

Using OTS;
Only by one click [OTS 1-4] we have the voice selected.

That's why I prefer using OTS than Registration in my situation.

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 10:53:18 PM »

Just for testing I saved the same OTS in one of the Registration memory and it points correctly to the user area with correct name.

Back in the days of Tyros's there were many comments from users being confused and objecting to the "wrong" user names being shown. So eventually Yamaha corrected the software so that it showed the actual user name. But for some reason (lack of attention to detail in the arranger Division springs to mind ::)) they only put the effort in to registrations and did not address OTS.
John
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 11:05:59 PM by jwyvern »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2022, 11:07:17 PM »

This is for live situation when I gig with different singers and using the OTS suits better in my situation than Registration.
Using Registration, during live performance for selecting and playing a voice, takes too much time and
it's too slow because it involves more clicks and navigation in the screen to reach the voice we want to play with.

Using Registration;
We have to click on the Regist section on the display (or by pressing the two Rgist Bank Select at the same time) to open up Registration Bank pages.

Pressing/selecting the Registration memory button to reach the voice we want to play with.

Using OTS;

It’s possible to set up registrations so you have even fewer button pushes than OTS, but it’s up to you.

At least now you know what your options are.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2022, 01:30:51 AM »

Using Registration;

Using OTS;

Interesting take, but I could also argue using OTS takes more clicks then:
1st click press the style select button
2nd search and find the style through many pages
3rd select if I want OTS 1-4.

As I stated; all user voices are just preset (or expansion) voices with a midi wrapper. OTS is giving you the "real" base sound, whereas Registration is hiding it because it's a snapshot of the system memory at that moment, including the filename of your modified sound.

Plus with registrations you can control the sequence of voices and styles, as well as tempos, key changes, etc. Much more power and flexibility (you can pedal through a registration sequence, keeping both hands free).

On the other hand, if you aren't as familiar /careful with Registrations, you could also accidentally switch output routing, vocal harmony settings, fine tuning, accidentally change tempos, accidentally change the mic levels, etc when you don't mean to. Using OTS and styles is more limiting, but also much safer (you can't actually save "global" values in ots. This includes the 'new new' for an edited user voice.

Mark