Author Topic: This is the Real Deal Trade your Genos for You Know What!!!  (Read 56995 times)

Offline ugawoga

Hi
This is the deal .
Rush and trade your Genos now for a Jamborie bag.  "YES Korg PAX5"!!

Only mugs will part with the Genos who cannot distinguish great sound for Commodore 64 sound.
I am being brutal here , but that is the comparison to me.
The PAX 5 is great on Piano's Strings and Quite good on Organs , But the rest of the sounds ,"Well".
Also good on functions.
The PAX 5 does not even come near the Genos.
Just look at the Trade up prices and it will tell you everything you need to know.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Re: This is the Real Deal Trade your Genos for You Know What!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 06:59:15 PM »
Agreed, John.

Korg did well on the pianos, e.ps, and not bad on the organs, but the rest of the voices and drums don't even come close to even the Tyros 1 sounds. I have no idea how they dropped the ball so badly on these extra sounds. The OS looks overly complicated too. It's nicely presented but the emphasis seems to be on features rather than sound. Is their target audience computer geeks or real musicians ;D?
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ton37

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2022, 08:22:30 PM »
Some nuance would be in order... although.. , ehh... this is the Yamaha forum, yes: I totally agree with you !!  ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: Ray

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 11:32:01 PM »
Hi
It just goes to show how valuable the GENOS IS :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline kbrkr

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:09:05 AM »
Hi
This is the deal .
Rush and trade your Genos now for a Jamborie bag.  "YES Korg PAX5"!!

Only mugs will part with the Genos who cannot distinguish great sound for Commodore 64 sound.
I am being brutal here , but that is the comparison to me.
The PAX 5 is great on Piano's Strings and Quite good on Organs , But the rest of the sounds ,"Well".
Also good on functions.
The PAX 5 does not even come near the Genos.
Just look at the Trade up prices and it will tell you everything you need to know.

I think you do not understand what the new Korg Pa5 brings to the table.  They have embedded the Kronos, SV1, and Nautilus sound engine into the Pa5.  If you have ever played ANY of those instruments, you should know the sound quality is 2nd to NONE!   Also, there are now 100's of Kronos and Nautilus sound libraries available to used within the Pa5x.  As a matter of fact, I used many of the Orchestral sounds on the Kronos and I'm sorry to say, they equal or exceed the Yamaha counterparts.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge this keyboard until you actually play it and hear it in person!!!

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

keynote

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 02:10:16 AM »
I noticed Korg upped the price of the Pa5X. $4,899 for the 76 key version and $4,699 for the 61 key. After listening to several more demos I'm a little less enthused but there could be some settings adjustments in the menus to brighten up some of the sounds. In particular, it has a warmer sound than the Genos and there may be something gimmicky going on. If you've noticed in the demos there's a lot of reverb applied to most of the sounds I've heard so far anyway. As if Korg recorded the factory samples in some type of auditorium to give them a fuller, richer sound. Almost as if they were trying to cover up some of the sound imperfections in some of the various instrument categories to try to give them more realism. One thing nice about Yamaha and Genos in particular is it has super realistic sounding voices. The Pa5X does as well such as the Organs and most of the Brass instruments I've heard so far. Anyway, once stores have them in stock I will be the first in line to play one extensively, and then make a determination whether it's a serious contender to the current Genos. Genos II is another story. In a couple or so years most likely.  :(

All the best,
Mike   

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 01:33:51 PM »
Good points. In fairness to any new keyboard, demo videos can either really enhance the sound or destroy it. So much depends on what sound system is used to play the demo videos. Ordinary computer speakers may color the sound in a way that makes the PA5X sound superior, while listening to the demos over my Yamaha HS8 studio monitors, not so good.

Kbrkr is correct. The ultimate flinch test is bringing one home to try with the system you play through all the time. I don't even rely on "in-store" demos anymore. I can't tell you how many pianos and keyboards I've tried out in the store while some young aspiring teenage rookie is 20 feet away auditioning a Marshall stack turned up to 11, while playing Smoke On The Water, with a $1,600 Telecaster!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:48:41 AM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 01:42:46 PM »
Seeing what the trade in price for the Genos was , it is a no brainer to keep the Genos and wait for the Next Yamaha Keyboard.
The saxes and a lot of other sound do not cut it for me.
Sorry, but Genos is a lot better sounding than the PAX5.
Genos sounds are smoother and a lot more realistic in my opinion.

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2022, 02:14:14 PM »
Good point about the saxes, John. In my current band, I'm using a boatload of sax voices. I wish there was a way to adjust the vibrato "on time" and "degree" for the saxes. The voice samples are stellar but for extra realism, I'd love to have that added advantage. I've been listening to sax solos to determine their dynamics and expressions. You also must be aware that any mouth instrument requires the player to breath! The raw material for all this to happen is well within the Genos voicings.

Offline nonchai

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2022, 05:43:12 PM »
They have embedded the Kronos, SV1, and Nautilus sound engine into the Pa5. 

Er not so quick...

first of all there isnt just ONE sound engine in the KRONOS but many - and of those the only one that applies here is the ROMPLER one.  The modelling engines - whether synth, hammond, EP , strings, etc are ONLY in the KRONOS and NAUTILUS ranges.

And as to what has been brought into the PA5 - its the addition of STREAMING from NAND "Disk" for certain big sample size instruments - pianos chiefly - from KRONOS.

But as I understand it - that streaming ability only applies to the ON BOARD factory sounds Korg have added to PA5 from Nautilus. Because of technical limitations and the size of the internal SSD ( NAND ) storage - there won't be any means to expand the PA5 with 3rd party (Huge sample size) libraries sold for the KRONOS/NAUTILUS family. The internal NAND SSD isnt that big and theres no ability to stream from external SSD because the circuit and bus tech wont support it.  There does seem a question mark as to how big exactly the internal SSD ( NAND ROM ) actually is - and how much would be free to install extra (huge gigabyte ) libraries in future - but my bet is that it wont support much in the way go gigabyte size libraries - if any -

So although its great to see some Nautilus instruments in there - engine wise and expandability wise - certainly disk capacity wise - this isnt NAUTILUS "Lite"

So I like so many am waiting with baited breath to see what Yamaha do with the next gen Genos.  And crossing fingers they do the "right thing" and include finally a USB output that supports multichannel digital audio.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 05:48:35 PM by nonchai »

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2022, 06:51:11 PM »
Wow those upgrade prices are laughable. Korg wishes they got Yamaha marketshare.

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 08:38:05 AM »
which company is offering the trade ?

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 08:59:48 AM »
Look up at the top of page 
Go to email address UK company

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 09:34:34 AM »
All sour grapes...Korg have produced a game changer here with the Pa5X.
DGX670

Offline mikf

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 11:57:08 AM »
I don’t see it as sour grapes, just mis-judgement of what matters to new buyers as opposed to existing Genos owners.
Learning curve matters, but if you take that away, this new Korg is certainly an attractive keyboard. Yes, you will find some voices or styles on the Genos some like better, but both seem overall great sounding keyboards, and no-one buys one keyboard over another because of tiny differences in a few voices. If the voice is already pretty good, how you play it matters much more than if the voice is slightly better.
Korg may have an edge in some technical features, certainly in appearance, and a fully weighted 88 key is unmatched in a portable arranger.
Does that relegate Genos to a poor second, - definitely no, and some of the things PaX5 offers may matter little to many existing Genos owners, probably not enough to jump ship, ….. but it will be interesting to see how Yamaha responds.
Mike

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2022, 12:08:31 PM »
No need to jump ship...many players own both brands.

There are no bad keyboards just personal preference you pays your money and take your choice.

They all have an input to help improve future boards.

This finding fault with competitors products is getting boring !!!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 12:54:20 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: usaraiya, NativeAngels

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2022, 01:26:46 PM »
I find it difficult to determine if the 5X is a good keyboard when the demos are played using mostly Dance, Hip-Hop, Synth, or some other modern genre. I don't play that kind of music, so I have no frame of reference. When I heard Peter Baartmans demo the Genos, he played mostly music that I play. He sold me.

If someone as good as Baartmans were to play the older tunes through the 5X, it may capture my interest. So far, all I know is the 5X is an excellent keyboard for playing the modern stuff. The older genres are an unknown and I suspect have received very little interest from Korg.

It also appears as though the interface has been designed for more of a computer geek player versus a musician, who can't be bothered figuring out all those complicated screens. There is SO much information on each screen, it would take me a year of messing around just find my way through the basics! Out of the box, you can turn the Genos on and start playing. I doubt that's possible with the 5X. It looks like there's a very sharp learning curve involved - and I'm not new to arrangers!

Offline Bill

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2022, 01:59:49 PM »
I find it difficult to determine if the 5X is a good keyboard when the demos are played using mostly Dance, Hip-Hop, Synth, or some other modern genre.

If someone as good as Baartmans were to play the older tunes through the 5X, it may capture my interest. So far, all I know is the 5X is an excellent keyboard for playing the modern stuff. The older genres are an unknown and I suspect have received very little interest from Korg.

Hi Lee

Take a look.  https://youtu.be/MQaJklT5bUQ

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2022, 02:06:57 PM »
I find it difficult to determine if the 5X is a good keyboard when the demos are played using mostly Dance, Hip-Hop, Synth, or some other modern genre. I don't play that kind of music, so I have no frame of reference.

Yea, same here. If it can't play country or even rockabilly ... "It ain't music". Yamaha WINS bar none.

The following users thanked this post: Richard001

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2022, 02:22:48 PM »
Hi Lee

Take a look.  https://youtu.be/MQaJklT5bUQ

Bill

Maybe good example of big band .... but the country selection has NO pedal steel guitar?!? Did they remove that sound? Whatever.

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 02:36:19 PM »
Lee Batchelor. This Leigh Wilbraham video may be of help Re Easy Play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQaJklT5bUQ
DGX670

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 02:52:31 PM »
Thanks, Bill. Not bad. The Country style lags behind the Genos but the Latin style sounds good, as does the Swing. One thing I really notice is the number of styles that employ a 5-string bass with its B string. I have yet to hear that on the Genos.

Korg really needs a "Baartmans" player to show us what the 5X can do. So far, all the demos I've seen are done with "fair" players. They don't know the intricacies of the various solo and ensemble instruments. For example, you never use grace notes with a sex section. It's nearly impossible for a sax section to do that with the accuracy of a keyboard ;D.

All this 5X exploring makes me even hungrier for Genos 2. Yamaha will not sit back and do nothing. I suspect Genos 2 will top the 5X.

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 02:54:24 PM »
Thanks, Graham. That's the same link that Bill posted. It does show more of the styles I use ;).

Offline musicman01

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »
Hello,
How the **** can one judge a keyboard if one hasn't heard and seen it live yet???
Just to be clear, I've been a Genos player since 2017!
Do you really think people at Korg are stupid?
They too will bring upgrades, and who knows, maybe some of you will soon be playing a Pa5x who knows!
PS: I'm going to a private demo with a Korg demonstrator this Sunday, I'll let you know my findings.

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2022, 03:08:49 PM »
You're right, to a point. We are all judging the 5X so far, only based on what we've heard from the current demos, which have not been stellar. I look forward to your observations. I'm sure the Korg demonstrator will be on par with Peter Baartmans, if that's even possible ;D.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2022, 03:16:19 PM »
I thought this was a Yamaha arranger keyboard forum... what is all this talk about Korg?  There are several threads going right now about the Pa5x. Isn't there a Korg forum?

???

Joe H
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 03:18:14 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline mikf

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2022, 03:31:21 PM »
I don’t see the PaX5 as a “game changer”, but it’s certainly part of the evolution of arrangers. An evolution driven largely by competition, so I think we are lucky to have two great companies involved, and the result is good products at reasonable prices, which benefits all of us players. None of us are married to either one, and whichever one you choose, there are no losers, because they are both excellent. And it will probably continue to get better

Joe - this a current hot topic for arranger owners, so not unreasonable to let it have space, even on a forum largely aimed at Yamaha products, as long as no-one gets obnoxious.

Mike

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2022, 04:06:17 PM »

.....Joe - this a current hot topic for arranger owners, so not unreasonable to let it have space, even on a forum largely aimed at Yamaha products, as long as no-one gets obnoxious.

Agree fully. And we may not forget that Yamaha arrangers and keyboards is hot topic at several fora as well when there is news.
Genos is still talked about and being comparised even at Korg forum. It works well. To me it seems like Korgies are more tolerant than Yammies...  ::) ;D
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2022, 06:11:37 PM »
History of the Relationship between Yamaha and Korg

Yamaha Corporation has always been a major partner of Korg, supplying them with circuitry and mechanical parts.

In 1987, shortly before the release of the M1 Music Workstation, Yamaha acquired a controlling interest in Korg. The takeover of the company was amicable, with Kato drawing up the terms, and the two companies continued to independently develop their product lines and compete in the marketplace.

In 1989, Korg recruited the design team from Sequential Circuits as they were relieved of their duties by then-Sequential owner Yamaha.

In 1993, after 5 successful years under Yamaha's control, Kato had sufficient funds to repurchase most of the Yamaha shares.

No idea what their relationship is today.

Best wishes, JH
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 06:16:26 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Duffy

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2022, 07:37:27 PM »
Lee Batchelor. This Leigh Wilbraham video may be of help Re Easy Play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQaJklT5bUQ
Thanks Graham. Now I've heard Leigh Wilbraham play REAL music on it, The PA5X is a top notch keyboard.
Liked the looks immediately but wasn't sure about some of the sounds. Now, I think many of the sounds are brilliant after all.

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline mikf

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2022, 07:58:26 PM »
Over the years it has frequently been suggested Korg arrangers tend to be more favored by pro gigging  musicians and Yamaha more by the home player. It’s not a straight split, as many pros like Yamaha and vice versa. But that certainly should tell us enough about Korg to know they are not going to abandon that kind of player on their flagship. So no matter what they may have added for modern music producers, it would be a big surprise if it were not also solid for playing more traditional music.
Mike

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2022, 08:58:34 PM »
By the way, why is this thread pinned to the top with a ridiculous title, "This is the Real Deal Trade your Genos for You Know What!!!"?
If it requires to be pinned, at least it should have an appropriate title like "Korg PA5X".
Uday
 :)

Offline DrakeM

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2022, 11:45:53 PM »
By the way, why is this thread pinned to the top with a ridiculous title, "This is the Real Deal Trade your Genos for You Know What!!!"?
If it requires to be pinned, at least it should have an appropriate title like "Korg PA5X".
Uday
 :)

Because that it's original Title posted by the board member, that's why. Simple as that.  ;D

He wanted to point out the FACT that the Genos Yamaha keyboard's has held its money value (2017) for 5 years. Pretty impressive wouldn't you say?  ;)

And it is pinned because we don't need 10 more threads about the Korg keyboard here at a Yamaha forum.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:48:52 PM by DrakeM »

The following users thanked this post: lmederos

Offline Duffy

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2022, 07:43:38 AM »
As a matter of interest, can anyone tell me what the closing song is on the Leigh Wilbraham recording when he tried the PA5X ?
I wondered what that would sound like when played on the Genos but I don't recognise the tune.

Offline Bill

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2022, 11:00:25 AM »
I thought this was a Yamaha arranger keyboard forum... what is all this talk about Korg?  There are several threads going right now about the Pa5x. Isn't there a Korg forum?

???

Joe H

Hi Joe

I have posted a couple of links to PA5X demo’s, my reasoning is simple.

I thought many people would want to see what new features are coming to market.

I am not interested in whether one KB sounds better than another or try to convince people to change brands.  My interest is solely in the changing technology.

1.  Seamless switching.
2.  Dual Style engines - novel but could be very useful.  Leigh has done another demo on this alone.
3.  16 assignable pads - It’s like having a V3 Console already built in.

Bill

England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2022, 12:27:43 PM »
Hi Bill :

You are right : the keyboard technology has been improved again in 2022.

I am waiting now what the world arranger keyboard leader, Yamaha, will bring us, Yamaha players, in 2023.

I am convinced Yamaha will launch a new highend keyboard next year that will surprise the entire arranger business. :)

We need to be patient ...

Our patience will be rewarded !

Take care, JH

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2022, 02:42:32 PM »
Jeff's right. In the meantime, we still have an amazing arranger in the Genos. Yamaha probably has a few 5X keyboards in their autopsy room and are tearing them apart to see how they can make the Genos 2 even better.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2022, 03:48:41 PM »
Yamaha is probably reading this and getting a big belly laugh right now for sure.... ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2023, 04:17:20 PM by Dnj »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2022, 04:44:33 PM »
Korg Dealers UK all received initial demonstration products plus backup stock to sell.
UK dealers are now stating On Back Order so sales appear to be active.
DGX670

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2022, 05:12:40 PM »
Hi Graham :

Thank you for this interesting information.

Is there a particular reason why our competitor has selected UK dealers to introduce the new arranger keyboard on Y-Tube ?

The UK has excellent professional musicians who are demonstrating the new competitive keyboards very, very well.

Might that be the reason  ?

Plse advise.
Many thanks, JH
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 05:15:41 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2022, 06:27:50 PM »
Jeff. NO! I said UK because that is where I live.
Adam (Webinar) happen to mention UK because that where he is based.

But I think all Korg retailers where ever, would have received the same initial selling stocks.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 06:28:59 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

Offline mikf

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2022, 07:01:44 PM »
The UK has a good arranger market and a well informed dealer network. Certainly better than I have generally seen in the USA where its quite hard to find a dealer even in in a big city like Houston that has a choice of arrangers you can try, never mind people that can competently demonstrate one.

Mike

Offline Danny1972

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2022, 07:27:49 PM »

...great sound for Commodore 64 sound.

Ah this brings back memories, the amazing SID chip on this computer was incredible and it even blew away some of the 16 bit computers sound chip (such as the Atari ST), which ironically used a Yamaha YM2149F sound chip.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 07:29:02 PM by Danny1972 »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2022, 08:33:34 PM »
We have no exclusive Korg dealers in The Netherlands.
We have no exclusive Yamaha dealers either.

Most of them are traditional small family owned music shops selling popular music instruments and equipment.

Regards, JH

Offline pjd

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2022, 11:05:05 PM »
The UK has a good arranger market and a well informed dealer network. Certainly better than I have generally seen in the USA where its quite hard to find a dealer even in in a big city like Houston that has a choice of arrangers you can try, never mind people that can competently demonstrate one.

Mike

I can vouch for Mike's observation about availability of arranger keyboards for demo in the USA. Over the years, I've visited music stores in many major metro areas and high end arrangers are nowhere to be seen or played. There is low end product, sure, because inventory turns over fast. Tyros or Genos, fuggedaboutit!

In my experience, even low end Korg are impossible to find. If I still lived on the east coast, I would drive 150 miles to AudioProCT in Milford, CT where Frank often has the TOTL Yamaha and Korg side-by-side. Maybe I need to drive up to Vancouver and see Mark at Tom Lee. (And get some Nando's :-) ) This side of the border is an arranger wasteland -- pandemic hasn't helped...

Sorry to sound so negative. It would be a kick to try the Pa5x just for grins. Not shopping for a new board. (Sorry, Mark.) Nando's, yes!  :D

-- pj
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 11:06:51 PM by pjd »

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2022, 04:13:32 AM »
Quote from: pjd
Over the years, I've visited music stores in many major metro areas and high end arrangers are nowhere to be seen or played.

This is how I ended up buying a Motif XF7 in 2011 when I got started with synths. None of the local music stores in Portland, Oregon had any arrangers, and I didn’t even know the category existed. Neither did the music store staff, as far as I could tell.
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2022, 08:11:13 PM »
None of the local music stores in Portland, Oregon had any arrangers, and I didn’t even know the category existed.
That's nuts! Arrangers have been around since the early 80s. I'd be curious as to how they don't even know about them.

Offline mikf

« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2022, 09:16:07 PM »
Houston has 6 million people but I don’t know of a single music store where they have high end arrangers and somebody who knows how to demo one.
Piano stores usually have knowledgeable people and among the acoustic and digital pianos they might have CVPs but not typical arrangers like Genos.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2022, 09:34:05 PM »
Does that mean America can only buy arranger keyboards from web shops only ?

Plse advise. Thanks, JH

Offline GregB

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2022, 10:16:04 PM »
When I ended up purchasing my S950, I too found that stores with in-store arrangers were pretty limited.  Half of the reason I went with the S950 vs. the PA900 was because I couldn't find any local stores with a PA900 in stock for me to try out.  The Colorado Blvd Guitar Center in Denver is where I purchased the S950, which they had in stock and on display.  They also got out an S750 for me to try out.  That said, there is a music store near us with Clavinova CVP pianos on display.  I don't know if they carry the Genos.  They don't carry any Korg however.

I would love to see a service allowing people to try out keyboards virtually.  Whether via audio streaming, MIDI-over-IP, and/or some custom interface to the keyboard's UI... it would have latency but considerable value.  The Tyros/Genos/PA#x keyboards are apparently low volume high margin products, and a store offering this type of service could make some serious cash off of these things.

- Greg
PSR-S950
PSR-520
1920 Bush & Lane Upright Grand