Author Topic: Korg PA5X  (Read 19469 times)

Offline ugawoga

Re: Korg PA5X
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2022, 12:48:00 AM »
You are 100% Mike :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2022, 11:56:28 AM »

At the end of this month, first PA5X's are coming in, I heard here.

A few weeks later, some owners, being also Genos players and members of this forum,  might have an impression of their new competitor's arranger keyboard.

Compare these two high end keyboards will not be easy at all.
Both brands are so different but also high quality.

It will not easy to tell us which keyboard is better than the other and why.
All depends of the personal needs and wishes of the enduser.

Like most of you, I am a proud owner of a Yamaha arranger keyboard.

For more than 20 years I am so familiar with Yamaha's software, styles, voices, techniques etc. etc., there is absolutely no need for me to change,  to buy or to add another brand.
And even today I am learning new applications, tricks etc. here.
Yamaha gives me everything I need.

BUT ... I am sure the newest high end Korg will be a top arranger for Korg fans.
I wish them all a lot of joy, fun and luck with their new baby.

Best regards, JH

The following users thanked this post: Eric, B, stephenm52, Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2022, 01:18:34 PM »
Hi Jeff
I have looked at all demo videos and none compare with the Genos especially Saxes, Guitars and even the harmonica.
Even the old Technics KN2000 had better saxes.
The PAX5 lacks warmth. Everything sounds too digital
Also the synth sounds sound a lot better on the Genos.
The Korg sax sounds clarinet-y to me.
I use the sax a lot as it has lots of  human like expression. I have a  terrible voice like Foghorn Cleghorn!! ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:22:28 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2022, 01:28:47 PM »
Agreed about the sax voice, John. I've only watched two demo videos but in the one, the caption read something like "Sax solo voice." The demonstrator started playing what sounded like a semi-good clarinet voice. My thinking was the videographer put the wrong caption on the screen, which is forgivable. They just need a different editor ;D!

On the other hand, if that's the PA5X's true sax voice, then my Honda Odyssey minivan is a Volkswagen Beetle.

Edit
Something else. I agree with your "sterile, tinny" sound impression. It makes sense because as someone mentioned, it seems the PA5X is designed for the younger players who like Dance and other modern styles. I have no use for that kind of music and would be happy without those styles or the synth voices. My focus is music from the late 70s and earlier - back in a time where producing music involved playing the songs, not "manufacturing" them.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2022, 01:35:04 PM by Lee Batchelor »
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2022, 02:04:42 PM »
Hi Lee
You are right there modern edm music is for a generation of sample button flashing light console canned music operators. Give me an "e" :-*
Todays singers all sound like Moaning Myrtles!!
At least we know with the Genos we can get warmer sound

All the best
John

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2022, 04:20:33 PM »
Agreed, John.

If Korg hopes to attract Genos users away from their keyboards, they'll be lucky to snag <1%. I sure hope Yamaha doesn't go the same route with G2. Their styles and voices are exactly what I need and if G2 improves on that concept further, I'll be waiting at the store, cash in hand! If they leave me hanging and focus on the younger EDM crowd who sing like robots with a bad cold, I'll be gone or at least hanging onto to my G1.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »
My focus is music from the late 70s and earlier - back in a time where producing music involved playing the songs, not "manufacturing" them.
Some musicians will consider that using a style or an Electronic Yamaha sax SA2sample is "manufacturing" music

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2022, 06:00:50 PM »
Hi John :

Thanks for your comments.

You have the impression the Genos' sound quality ( in general ) is much better, right ?
That is very good news for Yamaha 's present high end arranger keyboard.

That might explain why Yamaha are not in a hurry to launch the Genos2 soon, I guess ?

Best wishes, Jeff

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2022, 06:04:26 PM »
Some musicians will consider that using a style or an Electronic Yamaha sax SA2sample is "manufacturing" music
Very true but by "manufacturing music" I refer to those who solely depend on a large box of electronic tools to produce an end product that sounds good compared to those who have enough musical prowess and require very little added on tools to achieve the same thing. For example, the great singers and piano players throughout history have never needed pitch correction, voice shaping, quantization, or an overindulgence of EQ and compression to compensate for a lack of musical ability.

Using the Genos for a background or a solo instrument is just one tool out of thousands. The person sitting behind it must know how to make music and not depend solely on that tool to produce a decent end product. Like the old saying goes, "Anyone can play the notes but can you make music?"

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2022, 06:08:41 PM »
Hi John :
Thanks for your comments.
You have the impression the Genos' sound quality ( in general ) is much better, right ?
That is very good news for Yamaha 's present high end arranger keyboard.
That might explain why Yamaha are not in a hurry to launch the Genos2 soon, I guess ?
Best wishes, Jeff
Very true, Jeff. Most of those who intended to buy a Genos have done so already. Yamaha is no longer in danger of losing potential Genos customers because there's another tool on the block. Of course, there will be a few who sniff out the PA5X and switch but I doubt those numbers will be a danger to Yamaha. Most Genos customers will wait for Yamaha's reply. If it's dismal, then things could change.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2022, 08:41:35 PM »
A sax is a sax and has to be played by notes the same as a keyboard .
The skill is using the articulations and getting the trills right.
We go from side to side and a sax player goes up and down
Well, Sausages to that then!!! ;) :)
There is no skill in putting a load of samples on a flashing light box and being a DJ just pressing buttons.
The skilled Dj's of the past could actually entertain people, not just push buttons and look like an automaton with a blank staring face  on the stage.
The trouble with todays music is that it is depressing and not fun anymore.
That George Ezra would not even make  B side on a disc in the 70s because he is so nondescript like all of todays manufactured rubbish.
The millionaire moguls are laughing all the way to the bank churning out music on a conveyor belt
Today is a different world where music is dull , you can get knifed going out late at night .Women are not safe and drugs are rife on the scene.
Couple that with mobile phones and playstations and you have a depressive world of lazy youngsters that want easy jobs and high pay and cannot put up with stress.
I tell young people that if i had a time machine i would go back to the 60s and 70s in a heartbeat

I'm off to a Deep Purple concert now. Where did i put that Argon Accumulator!!! "Oh i must get a flux capacitor!! ::) ;D Got to McFly! :)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 08:31:48 AM by ugawoga »

The following users thanked this post: Lee Batchelor

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2022, 08:57:23 PM »
I always enjoy your humor, John! Sadly, you're right about today's music. Among the musicians I work with, we all agree that there has been very little decent music written since about the mid 80s. Sad...it's all thump with no melody and nothing but violent or depressing lyrics.

Perhaps I could fire up my Star Trek transporter and beam over to your place. From there, we'll go to the pub for a few pints - my treat. I'll need your co-ordinates when you have a moment ;D.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2022, 09:05:05 PM »
Beam me up !! ;D

Offline DerekA

« Reply #63 on: July 04, 2022, 02:58:50 PM »
Remember Genos will let you apply multiple insert DSP to any part. The limitation is that on the UI you can only edit the parameters of the one 'on top' of the stack.
Genos

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #64 on: July 04, 2022, 04:35:13 PM »
Registrations will save more than 1 insert DSP per voice. Parameter edits will also be retained as long as the changes are first saved as a User DSP (for dsp's that are not top of the stack) before memorising the registration.

John

Offline DerekA

« Reply #65 on: July 04, 2022, 05:05:36 PM »
And the V2 upgrade gave us 30 user effect slots to play with. 

You can use DSP 1-19 with any voice part. Though I expect that a stack of 19 DSP *might just* be considered overkill :)
Genos

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #66 on: July 04, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »
How can anyone possibly find faults, sound or otherwise when they have not yet seen or even played a new keyboard.
Although YouTube quality can be good, one can't judge a product from listening to a YouTube Video.
​A lot of forum members own both Yamaha & Korg, they are both different and there to be enjoyed.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 07:52:35 PM by Graham UK »
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52, usaraiya, Bill, MadrasGiaguari

Offline hans1966

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
The quality of Yamaha effects is excellent, and they can be saved to registration memory.

the only problem is transitioning from one sound to another continuously, as you will hear clipping or popping, due to the different effect settings for each voice, within the same registration bank

I think that this problem of transitioning from one sound to another, Yamaha can solve it in the next flagship, and even mid-range models.

Cheers

Hans
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 08:20:40 PM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline ton37

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2022, 09:53:53 PM »
How can anyone possibly find faults, sound or otherwise when they have not yet seen or even played a new keyboard.
Although YouTube quality can be good, one can't judge a product from listening to a YouTube Video.
​A lot of forum members own both Yamaha & Korg, they are both different and there to be enjoyed.

That's a good approach, Graham. I agree with you on this. But remember you are on a YAMAHA forum! Then there will always be Yammies who (rightly or wrongly?) think that they have the 'best' in the world and have a judgment ready quickly. You come across such opinions all over the internet in various forums about, for example, cars, mobile phones, TVs, etc. etc. Trying to convince someone else of the opposite on a 'brand forum' is often a waste of energy. Leave it, just decide for yourself and be happy what you have. ;-)
My best regards,
Ton

The following users thanked this post: usaraiya

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2022, 10:08:23 PM »
Graham, so far my comparisons of the 5X versus Genos are based on listening to both keyboards on YouTube. Of course, it depends on how the two keyboards were recorded but YouTube is a good base line measurement. I agree that playing the 5X in person through a real sound system may blow ones socks off their feet but that's yet to be seen ;D.

There was one demo in what sounded like Spanish or Italian - sorry I couldn't tell BUT I believe it was from either Korg or another authorized source, and video quality was uploaded at 250p!!!! What the heck was that :o? Whomever uploaded and produced the demo is still living in the mid-90s ::).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 10:09:39 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2022, 10:39:09 PM »

Graham, Well said!
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline lmederos

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2022, 12:24:54 AM »
Just some interesting trivia:

Although Yammies and Korgies spar a lot, the relationship between Yamaha and Korg had always been cordial.  In fact, Yamaha controlled Korg from 1987 to around 1993.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline lmederos

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2022, 12:32:35 AM »
Why are we talking about Korg on a Genos thread. This should obviously have its own thread called other keyboards or better still if you want to know more then go to the Korg forum. I have not been that impressed by what I have seen so far

I agree with Eileen.  I have not seen any section on this site for Other Keyboards.  Although a PSR site, many of us have/want a complementary keyboard(s), and having the discussions with other PSR/Genos enthusiasts may offer context that other sites may not.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline motekmusic

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2022, 07:09:50 AM »
Hello,
Although agree with Eileen about how this forum is directed yamaha keyboards and usage,
 i did find a few of the new korg videos helpful
in locating a new feature that was totally lacking in the current Genos, or sx900.   That feature was the ability to put 2 styles
together to create a new groove,, etc.   However, after much thought decided to try putting a style on and then finding a loop
multi pad...  i.e.  love ballad with one of the acoustic guitar bossas.... which worked well,,, also... the yamahas have a style
creator function (which am totally unexperienced, but does exist) whereby it would be possible to insert, develop a style that has
2 different grooves.    So not overly impressed by the korg feature but the video did inspire a curiousity how to make the genos
comparable, using 2 styles as well.  I think this is a valid way to check out these new keyboards and discover  how we can increase  usage with new  ideas .  tips , tricks etc. on our current yamahas.

cheers
elaine

\\\"I have suffered for my music, now it\\\'s your turn\\\"   Neil Innes

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #74 on: July 05, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
Yes, all the bells and whistles on the new Pax5 may draw many in but it is the sound that counts  and the Pax5 does not come anywhere near the Genos.
I have watched quite a few videos and they  have convinced me that the Pax5 is inferior on sound overall.
Just look at the trade in price for the Genos. It is a no brainer to hang on to your Genos's, but do not squeeze to hard!! ::) ;D
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 11:45:58 AM by ugawoga »

keynote

« Reply #75 on: July 05, 2022, 03:48:38 PM »
Here is another Pa5X YouTube video that is quite impressive in my opinion. From Bonedo Synthesizers and it really shows in some detail how good the Pa5X stacks up to the competition, the Genos being the other flagship arranger currently on the market that is its direct competitor and Yamaha is probably taking notice. I think Korg really hit a home run this time around and Yamaha will have to step up its game to give the Pa5X a run for its money. In about 2 years? We'll see but Yamaha might want to speed things up a bit or they might lose a lot of loyal customers to the competition if they drag their feet and dilly dally. The demonstration is all playing, no talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOcSpJB9310

« Reply #76 on: July 05, 2022, 04:17:23 PM »
There's no question the 5X has its strengths. About 90% of that demo contains the electronic genre, which I never play. The one part with the solo trumpet sounded dated but perhaps it can be EQed to match the Genos quality. The pianos and organs are better than Genos.

It sounds like Korg is chasing a different market than Yamaha. If G2 comes out and leans heavy toward the Dance stuff, I won't be buying it.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2022, 04:53:22 PM »
Here is another Pa5X YouTube video that is quite impressive in my opinion. From Bonedo Synthesizers and it really shows in some detail how good the Pa5X stacks up to the competition, the Genos being the other flagship arranger currently on the market that is its direct competitor and Yamaha is probably taking notice. I think Korg really hit a home run this time around and Yamaha will have to step up its game to give the Pa5X a run for its money. In about 2 years? We'll see but Yamaha might want to speed things up a bit or they might lose a lot of loyal customers to the competition if they drag their feet and dilly dally. The demonstration is all playing, no talking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOcSpJB9310

Hi
I have discovered the wow factor :-[

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 05:24:28 PM by ugawoga »

The following users thanked this post: Esa

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #78 on: July 05, 2022, 06:47:13 PM »
Hi Guys :

It might be interesting to know the pros and cons of a competitor's product.
Much more useful for the manufacturer than for the enduser though.

However, if a customer is happy and pleased with her/his arranger keyboard, why should she/he decide to go for another brand ?
I am very happy with my Yamaha. Why should I change ?

Both Japanese companies have their own OS.
The software is not interchangeable.

Some people own/play both brands : Yamaha and Korg.
It might be useful to know why they need two different arrangers.

Best regards, JH

Offline Tommy 73

« Reply #79 on: July 05, 2022, 07:46:29 PM »
This is a worthy video of PA5X... I recommend listening through some good headphones or a lovely pair of ((((Focal Studio Monitors)))) wink wink...you know who you are  :) https://youtu.be/6NmeXzieR4U 

P.s... I also recommend copy/past into YouTube search bar the link above for HD video and best sound quality.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 05:44:46 AM by Tommy 73 »
Yamaha Montage M8x : Korg PA5X 76  : Roland Jupiter 80 : Waldorf STVC : Roland Integra 7 : Waldorf Streichfett : Focal Trio6 ST6 : Studio Outboards/RME Audio Interface/A&H Mixer :

« Reply #80 on: July 05, 2022, 07:47:59 PM »
Hi Guys :

It might be interesting to know the pros and cons of a competitor's product.
Much more useful for the manufacturer than for the enduser though.

However, if a customer is happy and pleased with her/his arranger keyboard, why should she/he decide to go for another brand ?
I am very happy with my Yamaha. Why should I change ?

Both Japanese companies have their own OS.
The software is not interchangeable.

Some people own/play both brands : Yamaha and Korg.
It might be useful to know why they need two different arrangers.

Best regards, JH

I had a Korg Pa600 and I never liked the sound of the keyboard but there are two really amazing things I love about the Pa600, one is the midi sequencer, It is much better than the one I have on my CVP809 and my PSR S970. The second thing is the ability to create new RX and DNC sounds (These sounds are similar to the MegaVoices and Super Articulation 2 voices that you usually found on Yamaha Keyboards) this kind of feature is really useful because you can create new sounds like for example A Peruvian pan flute with all the articulations and noises or a new piano with all the mechanical noises, release samples, etc, and then sell it to someone.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 07:52:14 PM by rodrigo.b »

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #81 on: July 05, 2022, 09:47:04 PM »
If a Yamaha is sounding so much better than a Korg, why should I buy a Korg ever ?

For me the sound quality is the most important feature.

JH
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 09:54:57 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline Ernie

« Reply #82 on: July 05, 2022, 10:52:44 PM »
I was ready with my PSR S950 and bought a second hand Korg PA4X from a friend.
A keyboard with a lot of extra software.  I am am happy with this...! Now I will get used to
the other user interface. But this is easy..! The Touchscreen  makes things easy!

Offline mikf

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2022, 12:08:12 AM »
Sound quality may be partly individual taste. People who already own Yamaha likely did so because they like the 'yamaha' sound. So its not surprising to find on a Yamaha forum that people continue to prefer the sound of the yamaha.
There will be others who feel the same way about the 'Korg' sound.

Mike

The following users thanked this post: Gunnar Jonny

Offline Misu

« Reply #84 on: July 06, 2022, 07:24:06 AM »
Hi,

For me this is representative
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HL6DVzqmk8
Now, PA4x-76 was here 2500Euro and PA5x-76 is 4600Euro - huge difference. 200Euro up to Genos.
I just wait to see live the difference of the sound quality for this 2100Euro.
Regarding the internal software, like usual at KORG, what it is, it is full not half measure(no other software needs).
Same number of voice and style for users (768 voice and 384 drums)
Waiting for kind of free LOCAL for second set full - is not
I'm worry for DIRECT presence which increase number of user styles - I didn't saw until now
KAOOS FX function of PA4x - almost sure is not
MIDI to STYLE PA4x function - I didn't find on the extended user manual - possible to be, but?
Waiting for SDD instead of HDD - no chance - economy issue - only one, not included, SD card like on the previous series.
Nice 2 players for everything and 16 pad Matrix new function.
Even I have both, I don't love YAMAHA or KORG I love music and I will try to be happy with what they try to sale me.

Best Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #85 on: July 06, 2022, 09:14:09 AM »
If a Yamaha is sounding so much better than a Korg, why should I buy a Korg ever ?

For me the sound quality is the most important feature.

JH

Ride on Jeff !! :)
The Genos sax sounds like one. The korg sax sounds more like a clarinet
The Korg Guitars are dire.
Pianos on Korg are good ,the rest under par ::)
My last word on this subject
The next Yamaha i will wait for :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 09:15:28 AM by ugawoga »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #86 on: July 06, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »
With you there John.

Online pjd

« Reply #87 on: July 06, 2022, 06:40:00 PM »

The Genos sax sounds like one. The Korg sax sounds more like a clarinet.

Hi John --

Aside from the sax sound on Yamaha, what really sold me is the SA/SA2 playability and responsiveness, for lack of other terms. Yamaha really nails this. I can play a sax line by intuition and the instrument seems to be an extension of my gestures.

Can Korg do this? I &^^%$&^ well don't know. Korg arrangers are completely MIA (missing in action) in USA retail stores. I'm not about to order a $4K arranger on-line just to try it and send it back! Someone praised the Kronos acoustic instrument emulations, but they left me cold.

It's a musical instrument, so honestly, I don't know what to expect unless I actually play it and hear it in person.

Good points -- pj

Offline musicman01

« Reply #88 on: July 07, 2022, 07:25:41 AM »
Hello,
Dear Genos forum members, it is in my opinion very premature to pass judgment on the Korg Pa5x! It is common, as on all forums, that the competing brand is viewed and listened to with a magnifying glass. It is very difficult for a "You-Tube" video to show the true quality.
Just to be clear, I am a Genos player and previously Tyros 1 & 5. Last year I sold a near-new Korg Pa4x 76 'Musikant' back after about 10 months.
As usual, the Korg Pa4x could also do things that Genos couldn't or didn't have on board, such as the extensive sound and style editor, very good drums, midi to style (creator-bot), the wonderful “TC Helicon” harmoniser, loading sounds without extra software and without formatting the entire memory in most cases.
What also struck me was that the Korg Pa4x sounds better in the mixing than Genos for live use, what is said here that the sounds are not good I think is total nonsense, the quality is sometimes variable but comparable to Genos.
The good choice of materials stood head and shoulders above Genos, this is also the case with the Pa5x.
The big disadvantage of the Korg Pa4x was the software, it had no structure and therefore difficult to operate, unlike the user-friendly structure of the Genos.
For example: loading styles, mp3, midi's must always be done via complete "sets" or "direct sets", while with Genos this data can be read and used directly from a USB stick.
I am very satisfied with my Genos since the end of 2017, and I don't wait for a successor to the Genos.
One very important note! it's not the keyboard that plays the biggest role but especially the person behind it!!!!
PS: this weekend I'm going to a private demo of the Pa5x with a Korg demonstrator, I'll be able to hear and see how it really sounds and what the improvements are in handling.

Offline pmahl

« Reply #89 on: July 07, 2022, 08:53:59 AM »
Hi musicman01
Bravo!!!. That is exactly the point (I'm a Tyros5 player).
Peter
Peterm

Offline Bill

« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2022, 05:36:03 PM »
A very good demo which is almost 90 mins long. Good selection of solo voices demo’s.

Well worth a listen even if you are not a Korg fan.

https://youtu.be/MQaJklT5bUQ

Bill
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2022, 07:00:11 PM »
Oh dear nasty sounds. Some of those resonances hurt the ear with a  sharp muffled type sound
I had to reply to this as there is no way that  this machine comes  anywhere  near the Genos

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2022, 09:33:29 PM »
Hi John --

Aside from the sax sound on Yamaha, what really sold me is the SA/SA2 playability and responsiveness, for lack of other terms. Yamaha really nails this. I can play a sax line by intuition and the instrument seems to be an extension of my gestures.

Can Korg do this? I &^^%$&^ well don't know. Korg arrangers are completely MIA (missing in action) in USA retail stores. I'm not about to order a $4K arranger on-line just to try it and send it back! Someone praised the Kronos acoustic instrument emulations, but they left me cold.

It's a musical instrument, so honestly, I don't know what to expect unless I actually play it and hear it in person.

Good points -- pj

Well, I haven't tried the PA5x yet, but my experience with the PA4x/PA1000:

The ariculations aren't as intuitive, no. For example, the body tap of a Classical guitar on Yamaha is controller by a pedal; on the Korg it was slapping the joystick down (-y), which meant I couldn't play the guitar sound with both hands, and often meant that you'd accidentally pitch while slapping the joystick. Even more baffling, the Yamaha body tap works tapping the pedal regardless, but slapping down on the joystick *only* produced the body tap sound while you were holding at least a note. Which often meant the tap wouldn't sound if it'd already instinctively lifted my right hand off the keys.

Yamaha S.Art2 saxes glide (glissando) very naturally and effortlessly, automatically going monophonic/polyphonic as the transitions require. The Korg S.Art2 sax is always poly, meaning when you hit the glissando button, you have to time letting go of the note *just right* or you'll break the illusion (and you'll hear 2 saxes momentarily).

On the other hand, their megavoice noises (fret noise, pick noise) are basically a function of S.Art (DNC on Korg) rather than megavoice; so you can play all the guitar sounds from a style without learning *how* to control them.

Personally, I found the strings & brass on the Pa4x too synthetic, which is why I always used Yamaha in my orchestral demos (and, registrations are a necessity to me). However, the behavior of their Tutti is *much* smoother than Yamaha's (it reserves more than 1 polyphony for the cymbal crash)

EDIT: forgot to mention, their automatic quantizing for chord changes is better on Korg. On Yamaha, it's possible to change chords *while* a note is playing, and you'll hear a funny correction; Korg seems to quantize your chord changes in real time. So that's nice.
Conversely, I found it much more difficult to program styles on Korg (and indeed, even to 'load' them into a fixed array slot), but that could just take getting used to the workflow.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 10:26:43 PM by Amwilburn »

The following users thanked this post: pjd

Offline Ernie

« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2022, 10:51:43 PM »
A good friend of mine bought the first PA5X  in the Netherlands.
I bought his PA4X  with a lot of extra software.  His first impression of the PA5X was:
The PA4X sounds better as it is.  You have to make the system to your own hand.
It is the same with a Yamaha strait out of the box .. You have to make it sound the way you like it.
I am happy now with the PA4X. It gives me new inspiration.  I nearly touched my PSR S950 for months.
Now I play some hours a day at the Korg. A new toy gives some new advantageges ;-)

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2022, 07:55:09 AM »
Hi.

For those who are interested, there is a Yamaha Genos VS Korg PA5X sounds and styles comparison at A&C Hamilton's YT channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlSj0jwU5CU
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2022, 09:36:53 AM »
Korg have produced a game changer here with the Pa5X.
DGX670

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline TiasDad

« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2022, 10:44:38 AM »
There's not only Korg releasing a good keyboard at the moment. This is the latest from Akai...
https://youtu.be/XQ9r1Q0kWNA?t=811

It's basically a keyboard with a built in DAW. I've linked to the part of the vid concerning layers and splits which is where you can build styles/backing routines easily and if you don't find a voice you like, you can sample your own from virtually any source. Feel free to explore the whole video.

To me, Yamaha need to take a close look and make it easier to work with style, voice and multipad creation to stay with the leaders. This won't replace my Yamaha keyboard but it will work happily alongside it :)

Offline mikf

« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2022, 11:39:14 AM »
I don’t think the Akai is direct competition for TOTL arrangers. It addresses a different market segment. Although some arranger players have an interest in this kind of functionality, it’s not what draws the mainstream arranger buyer.
Mike

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2022, 11:46:42 AM »
I agree, Mike.

IMHO it is more a synth than an arranger keyboard.
I checked the local dealer price of this MPC Akai : Euro 1999,--, all included.

Best wishes, JH
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:50:53 AM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #99 on: July 09, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »
I wonder why this thread did not deserve to be pinned on top. It has more postings and has a better title than the silly "This is the Real Deal Trade your Genos for You Know What!!!" thread !
Maybe it's because the postings to this thread show Korg in a positive light while the other thread was started by a "Yammy" biased OP?
Just wondering?
Uday
 :)