Author Topic: Korg PA5X  (Read 19473 times)

Offline soryt

Korg PA5X
« on: June 30, 2022, 09:47:01 AM »
its here now >> https://youtu.be/2InFUgORHEo

Now waiting for Genos 2  8)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline ugawoga

Re: Korg PA5X
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 10:57:54 AM »
hi
Also the Piano seems to be mostly featured.
I want to know what the saxes and Electric guitars are like.
From the videos so far things seem a little toppy.
From the Violin i thought it sounded more like Roland sounds.
The thing is that we need to see more interesting videos and hear the thing live really
Making styles from midi easier seems like a great idea.
Loading sounds easier would be great rather than The yamaha pack system.
Also will there be a file for Cubase 12 for sounds.
More space for your own samples
To convince me to change from Genos will take a lot more questions to answer.

All the best
John
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:00:28 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 11:00:20 AM »

More info to find here at Korg's site:
https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/pa5x/
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 11:11:30 AM »
Hi
Electric guitars sound a little off to me.
Some of those Korg demos did not convince me.
So far i have not got the wow factor ::) :P
No real sax demo's also
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 11:16:54 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

The following users thanked this post: wersianer

Offline EileenL

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 11:30:23 AM »
Why are we talking about Korg on a Genos thread. This should obviously have its own thread called other keyboards or better still if you want to know more then go to the Korg forum. I have not been that impressed by what I have seen so far.

The following users thanked this post: Christophermoment, lmederos

Offline ugawoga

Re: Korg PA5X v GENOS
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 11:37:58 AM »
Because we are interested in the future of keyboards and making comparisons with other makes of keyboards. It is all relevant in my view
To tell you the truth Eileen, i am not too impressed at the moment.
I think it is now time for Yamaha to speak to us about the future.

All the best
John :)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2022, 12:10:05 PM »
As usual Yamaha will only talk about their new high end arranger keyboard when it is ready for sale and will be launched very soon.

We are all very loyal and are respecting Yamaha's policy.

JH

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2022, 12:44:45 PM »
Nice 12 minute demo from Alois Mueller channel, he has several videos up already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUmUAGoHqo

Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2022, 01:54:48 PM »
The Graphical User Interface is very very beautiful and complete.

I wonder if Allois Mueller pre-programmed the chords, or if they are dynamically detected from what he plays. If it is dynamically detected, the AI algorithm is very very powerful (and interesting) as counterpoints are complex.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »
The saxes are unreal from what my ears tell me and everything sounds too toppy.
The Genos sound is far superior in my view , so i will wait for Genos 3.
The advantage of the PAX5 is make styles easier and  a little more depth in editing.
I heard also a harmonica sound and it does not compare to the Genos
Come on Yamaha , you can knock the pants of this Korg machine if you make the next one with easier to make styles and better editing and seemless switching.

We need someones demo that not schlager orientated and more to 60s and 70s and 80s for us baby boomers.
I must admit that you want to buy it, because it looks well made and with those stylish wooden ends gives the machine lots of Charater .
The big screen is another puller, but i need convincing on the sound which is most important
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:13:16 PM by ugawoga »

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2022, 02:01:30 PM »
Yeah this is my take also, the korg sounds tinny/doesn't sound "warm/full" IMO and the styles don't really sound realistic though they only gave us like 20 seconds total spread out across the official video from KORG YT. Looks like they added performance pads ala Fantom while adding a LED strip to show what the sliders are controlling ala Genos. What's really cool is the ability to play 2 styles and crossfade them!

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2022, 02:12:44 PM »
The piano, e.piano, and organs sound better on the surface but live, it may be a different story. The drum kits sound way behind the Genos. One thing is, they'll never sell me if all they do is demo the keyboard by playing Dance or Synth sounds. I have no interest whatsoever in that kind of music. The traditional tunes are in my playing area, not the modern stuff :(.

Let me hear what I need and I'll consider it. Then again, it will likely be a year before we see a PA5X in Canada!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2022, 02:16:23 PM »
Hi Lee
This Korg Machine from what i hear is not as good as the Genos
The appearance is fantastic but the sounds are to agressive in my view
Have you noticed from all the videos that the attention is given mostly to the pianos which i do admit sound good.
The electric pianos on the other hand sounded too glassy,harmonica squeaky, Electric Guitars thin, saxes thin and brash. ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:20:31 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2022, 02:17:35 PM »

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2022, 02:19:09 PM »
Agreed, John - although one demo may not be enough. Yamaha has a lot of homework to do but I have faith in their "wow" factor ;D.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2022, 02:24:19 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8pR3hyAl4U

So sharp sounding and all piano ,strings way too sharp guitar off the scale pale and thin
The machine so far lacks body in the sounds or is it my ears at 71

Come on Eileen get the cat and nine tails out on Yamaha!! ;D ;D ;D ;D :-X 8)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 02:25:37 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2022, 03:41:22 PM »
I'm not impressed too but I love the fact that now you have 8gb to create your own DNC,  RX sounds, and drum kits. That means that you can record for example a Cuban Tres guitar with all the noises and articulations, program it exactly like one of the factory nylon guitar sounds and then replace the nylon guitar sound on the factory latin cuban styles with the new sound that you created to get absolutely authentic results. That is not posible on Genos, you can’t create MegaVoices or S.Art voices
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:42:41 PM by rodrigo.b »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2022, 03:44:15 PM »
All good things come to those who wait. 8) ;)

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2022, 04:45:02 PM »
Do i detect some smoke 8)
I just saw the French demo and The Pax5 sounds totally inferior to the Genos.
Some styles sounded good , all the rest below par
I will be patient :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 04:55:37 PM by ugawoga »

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2022, 05:12:48 PM »
Not totally agree.
At least one very good string orchestra sound for me. Piano, Electric piano and organs are very very good.

And styles are better than Genos styles.

Smooth transition is a must. I hope that will be the case with Genos 2.

I can also wait.

Generally, when Eillen said such things for previous Tyros and Genos, we waited no more than 6 months.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2022, 07:56:21 PM »
Not totally agree.
At least one very good string orchestra sound for me. Piano, Electric piano and organs are very very good.

And styles are better than Genos styles.

Smooth transition is a must. I hope that will be the case with Genos 2.

I can also wait.

Generally, when Eillen said such things for previous Tyros and Genos, we waited no more than 6 months.

Er... not quite.

PA4x launched May of 2015 here, Genos launched Dec of 2017 here (but we had the sku in our system since Sept 2017)  but either way that was over 2 years later, not 6 months.

Why? Probably because Yamaha was waiting to see how much of a splash the PA4x would make before replacing the Tyros 5.

Then again, if the PA5x makes a huge splash, you bet Yamaha will hurry things up!

Mark

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2022, 09:37:59 PM »
I talked about the delay between the time when Eillen starts to suggest we wait and the time when a new flagship is launched. Otherwise she says she doesn’t think a new keyboard will appear quickly.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2022, 09:53:42 PM »
Well that sounds out of phase ;D

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2022, 10:28:26 PM »
......organs are very very good.

I kindly disagree. So far I listened to quite a few videos, and the Leslie simulation is still VERY poor. I would call it a Vibrato more than a Rotary effect.

I don't know why Yamaha and Korg (the top arrangers manufacturers IMHO), still lack on this item.

I own an Hammond Xm2 module. Its Leslie is almost perfect and far, far better than Genos and Pa5x Leslie simulation. The XM2 started to be sold in 2005, almost 20 years ago!
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Duffy

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2022, 12:03:06 AM »
What is so annoying is that Yamaha CAN do it. If you listen to the YC upgrade 2 series (stage keyboard) such as YC 61, they have a brilliant Hammond & Leslie speaker simulation.
The original YC 61 was criticised for having a poor organ & Leslie simulation so Yamaha brought out an upgrade that in the version 2 was absolutely brilliant.
This update was done in the same way as the Genos update 2 so Yamaha should be able to give us that, even if it had to be a paid for update.
If this cannot be done then it would be nice if Yamaha could explain this to us.

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

keynote

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2022, 01:50:11 AM »

"YC Stage Organ Keyboard" OS 1.2

This update was done in the same way as the Genos update 2 so Yamaha should be able to give us that, even if it had to be a paid for update. If this cannot be done then it would be nice if Yamaha could explain this to us.

Yeah, I too think Yamaha could improve the Genos Leslie simulation with an OS update. Although, I think they'll wait until Genos II which will likely include an improved Leslie simulation onboard. It's all about marketing in order to make more profit. They'll wait and provide improved and added features/functions on the Genos II which gives people more of a reason to upgrade to the newest model. Yamaha waited about 2 years after the PA-4X was released before releasing the Genos. If the past is a prologue we might not see an actual Genos II for a couple more years or so. Perhaps winter or summer NAMM 2024. It gives Yammie more time to scope out the Korg PA-5X. Perhaps they already have one in their possession. Yamaha engineers will have a field day basically inspecting every nook and cranny to see what makes the PA-5X tick. On that knowledge and understanding, Yamaha will likely then introduce features, sounds, and technology on the Genos II that hopefully, will one-up the Korg. Blowing the PA-5X out of the water will be much harder IMO. The PA-5X sounds fabulous IMO and it's feature rich. Although it only has 160-note polyphony but it's allocated across the entire range of the keyboard. The Genos has 256 but as we know it's divided between the factory sounds and the expansion sounds i.e. 128 + 128. In most situations, Genos users would have a difficult time utilizing more than 128 polyphony, especially when playing live IMO. 128 note is rather limiting as various note dropout tests have pointed out. And therefore note dropouts in most situations would happen more often on the Genos compared to the PA-5X even though the Korg only has 160 polyphony. Therefore, hopefully, the Genos II will include 256-note polyphony ACROSS THE ENTIRE RANGE OF THE KEYBOARD which would be another nice incentive for people to upgrade their Genos I would think. Anyway, as one person mentioned if the PA-5X sells like hotcakes Yamaha might spring into action and get the Genos II off the assembly line and into store perhaps in 2023. Here's to hoping.  8)

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2022, 09:03:31 AM »
IMHO Yamaha will not create a new Genos ( v3 ) update.

BUT ... what we might expect is a brand new high end arranger keyboard.
A complete new arranger with typical Yamaha styles, voices, software, features, looks and design.
We all know what that means : high quality, beauty and reliability.   :)

This next Yamaha arranger ( brand name : Genos2 ? ) will be the best keyboard for all users : home players, giggers and pro musicians.
It will be the best keyboard on the market, as usual.

Your wait and patience will be rewarded. 

Best regards, JH
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 09:05:02 AM by Jeff Hollande »

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2022, 09:57:29 AM »
It seems possible on korg pa-5x and perhaps before that a feature allows style chord changes to be only triggered with low velocities. It allows complex counterpoints with higher velocities.

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2022, 01:21:52 PM »
To Jeff's point...the level at which these keyboards reside in the list of all the arrangers, invokes a high degree of brand loyalty. It's unlikely there will be a mass exodus from the Genos to the PA5X, and Yamaha knows this. Yes, we're all anxious to see Yamaha's response to the PA5X, but they will think Genos 2 through very carefully. I suspect they've had the prototype built for a long time. They just need to ensure there's nothing missing that would jeopardize their position in the marketplace.

As a side note I would like to see less "repurposing" of the traditional styles on Genos 1 to Genos 2. The jump from Tyros 5 to Genos was excellent but many of the styles were just changed a bit and reused with the newer voices. Many had the same old sound. If Yamaha can't do that, then give us an external style creator that we can use to make our own styles. The internal style creator works but it's like a pig on stilts. Very clumsy and not well thought out.

Offline Dnj

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2022, 02:42:54 PM »
The so called Genos 2 price will have to be lowered to match Pa5x to compete in these hard times also and a 61/76/& 88 key model and a Genos Module will have to be offered to make it exciting & interesting if they are smart to bring in the young & old at this point imo..

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK

Offline alvaromrocha

« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2022, 06:33:19 PM »
Aside from the sensitive pads, extra cpu humpf and usb audio interface, the genos can do mostly everything I saw so far, it just needs a proper software update.

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2022, 07:03:05 PM »
Aside from the sensitive pads, extra cpu humpf and usb audio interface, the genos can do mostly everything I saw so far, it just needs a proper software update.
Agreed! The last update messed up my default view in the Live Control window and on one has been able to fix it. I suspect an incompatibility between the original registrations I carried over from the T5 and the current setup in the Genos. God only knows what. Everything worked perfect before this last update >:(!!

Offline soryt

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2022, 10:41:57 PM »
The best thing of the PA5 is the Alu casing and wooden sides , and the form factor .
I hope Yamaha get rid of the "Tupperware" case of the present Genos  ;)
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Duffy

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2022, 12:01:29 AM »
I agree with soryt.
To me the Korg PA5X looks more like a professional keyboard than the Genos with the wooden cheeks adding a touch of class.
Also like the hinged screen and having no waste space at the right end of the board.
Lots of buttons to remember but still prefer more buttons and a bit less on the touch screen.
I also like where the four one touch buttons are too, next to the style controls.
A choice of 61, 76 or 88 notes will also satisfy every would be buyer.
If they made a module, I would buy it immediately to complement my Genos and have a very passable (but not great) organ at last.
Genos is still top but, with a little effort, Yamaha could still be untouchable.
Still a few voices on my ancient KN 7000 that neither Korg or Yamaha can match.

Offline pjd

« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2022, 01:06:06 AM »
The best thing of the PA5 is the Aluminum casing and wooden sides, and the form factor.

Pa5X-88: 20.1 kg / 44.31 lbs
Pa5X-76: 17.4 kg / 38.36 lbs
Pa5X-61: 15.1 kg / 33.29 lbs

Genos: 13.0 kg / 28.7 lbs

Choose your poison: Metal+wood vs. plastic.  :D Metal+wood comes with a weight penalty.

-- pj

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline pjd

« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2022, 01:07:29 AM »
I don't understand this feature on the website:

"User PCM Sample memory: 4 GB of data, equivalent to 8 GB linear when compressed"

Does this mean that there is a physical 4 GB memory chip inside and they have a compression format that is exactly 50% in size of the uncompressed data?

Hi Francesco -- You understand that correctly.  :D -- pj

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2022, 08:48:26 AM »
Thank you PJ !

The weight of the new competition's keyboard makes me shivering  ;) ...

Best wishes, JH

Offline svpworld

« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2022, 12:02:43 PM »
In my experience with Korg arrangers, it's the styles that differentiate the two keyboards (Genes and PA arrangers).  I still believe Yamaha has the edge with its styles over any other manufacturer. They are more musical, more eclectic, just better in terms of flexibility and also availability.  Korg styles are impressive out the box, but often focus more towards modern pop music and you can hear the individual instruments within the style as individual instruments - not as a band or mixed backing sound.
There are some nice sounds on what I heard, although there are many amazing sounds on Genos - particularly when it comes to acoustic instruments. It's a great keyboard for Korg users, but personally I would not switch my Genes for the PA5X.

Simon

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2022, 12:54:11 PM »
Two considerations about items having been covered by various posts:

1. Body of Korg vs Genos:
I had many Korg worships and actually Korg body construction is definitely better and stronger (that also positively affects look). But it should also considered the weight factor:
Genos        13.0 kg (28 lb, 11 oz)
Pa5X 76.    17,4 Kg (38.4 lb)

2. Construction quality of Korg:
My last Korg, Pa3X, wasn't an example of fully dependable building quality. Even though my arranger was nicely sitting home for 99% of the time, I needed Korg assistance twice for repairs:
-after a few years (after warranty...) various buttons were not working or working not properly (replaced)
-at once one of the output plugs stopped to work, and had to be replaced.

.....nothing is perfect  :D

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2022, 01:21:24 PM »
The weight difference is enough to turn me off the PA5X and stay with the Genos, despite its crappy build quality. I do a lot of gigs and when closing in on 70 years, I don't need more weight added. The Genos just sounds better - end of story for me. Can't wait to see what they do with G2 ;).

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2022, 01:45:04 PM »
Same weight as the Tyros 5
That Tyros did my back in when i lifted it and boxed it to exchange for the Genos!!! ;D
"The pain " "the pain" "oh the pain!!!!!!!!! :-[

« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2022, 02:22:09 PM »
I forgot about the T5, John. Yes, it was a pleasant surprise to see that Yamaha had pruned the Genos down to a lesser weight. For that, I can tolerate the odd button fade and terrible black plastic case.

As a sidebar, I played my first gig last night (Canada Day Concert) with the R&B band I recently joined. I replaced their keyboardist, who was very good, but he played an earlier model Korg from 2012. While not being a fair comparison, the other band members tell me that there is no comparison in the sound of the Korg versus the Genos. We played through a large sound system to a crowd of about 900. Even the sound man said the brass and sax sounds were amazing.

Is Genos 2 in stores yet ;D ;D ;D!

Offline nonchai

« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2022, 03:10:59 PM »
IMHO Yamaha will not create a new Genos ( v3 ) update.

BUT ... what we might expect is a brand new high end arranger keyboard.
A complete new arranger with typical Yamaha styles, voices, software, features, looks and design.
We all know what that means : high quality, beauty and reliability.   :)

This next Yamaha arranger ( brand name : Genos2 ? ) will be the best keyboard for all users : home players, giggers and pro musicians.
It will be the best keyboard on the market, as usual.

Your wait and patience will be rewarded. 

Best regards, JH

My patience will only rewarded if YAMAHA finally ( like on their DGX 670 ) finally supports digital audio inputs and multichannel digital output over USB to their new GENOS2. Instead of just MIDI...

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2022, 04:26:32 PM »
It is obvious that the reviews of Korg PA5X will be biased on this forum, and Genos will always be inferior on the Korg Forum; and both are phenomenal instruments, and they will never equal each other, so let's enjoy them both! Differences will always remain.
I'm getting the PA5X now and will wait for the new Genos as & when it is released.
  :)
Uday

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, hans1966, marcodg, MadrasGiaguari, casiokid

Jeff Hollande

« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2022, 04:50:59 PM »
Hi Uday :

Thank you for your feedback !

Does that mean this new competitor's keyboard is available ( in the USA ) yet ?
Plse advise. Thanks, JH
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 04:52:39 PM by Jeff Hollande »

Offline usaraiya

« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2022, 05:30:48 PM »
Jeff,

Yes, they are taking orders and should be available by the end of the month. Numerous websites have listed it, eg, the "street price" for 76 is $4899. Let me know if you want the names of the websites.

And comments like the sound is too sharp or whatever, when he plays a YT video through computer speakers should bear no credibility at all unless one plays it live through a regular sound system! So, comments regarding the PA5X from those who have NEVER played it live, should obviously be ignored.
Uday

The following users thanked this post: Graham UK, Gunnar Jonny

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2022, 07:13:49 PM »
The Genos trade in price tells me the whole story even without listening to the PAX5

Offline ton37

« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2022, 08:06:20 PM »
The Genos trade in price tells me the whole story even without listening to the PAX5
John, in that case, I advise you to listen to a PAx5 live before you trade in your Genos blindly. ;D ;D
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Duffy

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2022, 08:37:14 PM »
It is obvious that the reviews of Korg PA5X will be biased on this forum, and Genos will always be inferior on the Korg Forum; and both are phenomenal instruments, and they will never equal each other, so let's enjoy them both! Differences will always remain.
I'm getting the PA5X now and will wait for the new Genos as & when it is released.
Uday

I'm afraid that I must agree that you will often find people biased on keyboard sites which are aimed at a particular make.
I, as a genos owner, like a lot of what Korg has come up with in the PA5X, and I'm sure that when owners have set up to their own preferences, they will sound even better.
I play Genos mainly because it is slanted more at the kind of music I like to play whereas Korg are aimed more at a younger and more modern music market.
No one manufacturer excels in every department which is why I have always used modules to complement my main board.
You will have a really good setup when you can pair the PA5X with your Genos. I would love Korg to introduce a PA5X module and make my day.
I do agree that some will always talk a rival down even though they have never played one.

The following users thanked this post: Ryszard Bieszczad

Offline mikf

« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2022, 09:37:44 PM »
Ton
I think you misunderstood John’s post. I don’t think he has any intention of trading his Genos for a Korg. I think he meant the high trade in price for a Genos indicates that even a used Genos may be considered superior.
Mike