Author Topic: Hello from Somerset UK.  (Read 5303 times)

AndyR

Hello from Somerset UK.
« on: June 24, 2022, 02:14:28 PM »
Hi everyone, I thought I'd introduce myself as I'm new here.

I'm an old stager at the music game, starting to play the piano when I was just able to reach the notes at three years old. Since then I like to think I've improved quite a bit. I studied electronics on leaving school and followed on with various engineering and software jobs. Needless to say I carried on my music, playing piano, guitar and bass guitar with various bands throughout my engineering career. In those days I used a DX7, it was a poor substitute for a piano but had a lot of nice sounds. It was when I was about twenty eight years old, and I was holidaying in Yorkshire and went into a music shop just be nosey. The owner came over and started chatting, when I said I played a DX7, he said I ought to see this! He sat down at a strange looking keyboard and started playing. It sounded like a full five piece band. I bought it. It cleaned me out, but I had to have it. It was a PSR6100. I still have it and the DX7. That's when I went solo and never looked back.  At some stage, when I was about thirty something years old, I went to Spain on holiday and decided I liked it. I packed my car with my gear and drove over. I stayed thirty years or more. I moved back in 2020 and bought a PSR-SX900. Not the easiest thing to get your head round at my vast age, so I've joined your happy band and look forward to chatting with you all. Full marks for anyone who reached the end of this. ;D
Happy tickling, Andy.

Offline DrakeM

Re: Hello from Somerset UK.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2022, 02:57:31 PM »
Hi there Andy, You joined the best dang forum for Yamaha keyboards ... that's for sure.

If you gotta a question .... you'll get it answered here for sure.

P.s. I made it to the end ... but you left off you age. ;D ;D ;D

Regards
Drake
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 02:59:47 PM by DrakeM »

Offline Milamber

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2022, 06:49:04 PM »
Welcome aboard Andy.  Somerset here too [BA8]  and at 78, all I really remember is how well I played [by ear] many years ago.  I am sure you will settle in very easily and feel at home soonest.  BR.

Maurice.

Offline mikf

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »
Welcome Andy. With your background you shouldn't have too many problems with an SX, but if you do this the is certainly the place to get help.
Mike

Offline Roger Brenizer

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2022, 10:54:49 PM »
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your keyboards here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing them.  Like Drake, I also made it to the end of your very interesting background information.  :)

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 107,570 song titles in 2,810 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline Toril S

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2022, 10:59:21 PM »
Welcome Andy, and hello from Norway😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline Richard Kent

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 11:34:44 PM »
Welcome to a group of like-minded music lovers, Andy.  You will be happy to learn that songs played by forum members provides an instant audience of appreciative listeners.  We look forward to hearing some of your work on the Forum.  Cheers !!!

Richard Kent

AndyR

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2022, 01:07:27 PM »
Hi All,

Thanks for all your kind welcomes. I hope, when I’ve ploughed my way through Joe’s PSR lessons, to provide you with a few musical interludes of my own. See you all then. By the way, I’m told I am a lifetime member now.

Cheers,

Andy.

Lofty(dave)

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2022, 03:23:07 PM »
Hi Andy im a yorkie by birth now living in mid wales i to have the sx900 which i like and have had other keyboards over the years from 1966 im in my 84th year fingers not as supple theese days but still enjoy turning out a tune or two cheers lofty

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2022, 09:29:18 AM »
Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Forum from Walsall in the West Midlands.

You have certainly joined a wonderful Forum where you will find friendly and helpful people who will always be ready to help and advise when necessary.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
Hello Andy and welcome from Essex.