Author Topic: Arpeggios in Left hand?  (Read 3220 times)

Offline p$manK32

Arpeggios in Left hand?
« on: June 19, 2022, 08:15:43 PM »
I’m reading the manual and trying to get arpeggio chords to play only on the left side of the keyboard, similar to a Style Accompaniment. I then want the RH voices to play with no Arpeggios sounding on those. Is this not possible?

If not possible, which would be a strange omission in my opinion, does Style Creator allow arpeggios to be programmed in? Like "CloudyBay" style on page 9 of Dance. I am only starting to learn Style Creator, but so far don’t see anything about adding argpeggios. Could they be generated manually on one of the Style pattern parts? Someone’s post here on 10/25/21 is saying you can't bring in auto arpeggios into Style Creator.....
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 11:36:42 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

jond

Re: Arpeggios in Left hand?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2022, 08:23:20 PM »
I noticed this inability to play arpeggios on the left hand of the keyboard, as soon as I purchased  it . quite surprising , really as the Casio  i had before , could do this , and it was a lot cheaper.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 09:15:30 PM »
It’s a pretty bizarre omission considering how many other settings the keyboard has. Me personally I don’t want to play rhythm style arpeggios in the right hand as I need that hand for melody playing. Not a deal breaker, just bizarre. The MODX can do arpeggios in the left hand and it sounds great.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 09:17:40 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 09:33:47 PM »
I’m reading the manual and trying to get arpeggio chords to play only on the left side of the keyboard, similar to a Style Accompaniment. I then want the RH voices play with no Arpeggios sounding on those. Is this not possible? ...

Hi p$manK32,

Have you tried all preset Multi Pads of your keyboard in this context? In addition to Drum/Percussion Loops and One Shot Multi Pads, there are also Multi Pads that play chord-dependent Arpeggios. And these are controlled by the left hand (i.e. left of the Style split point).

By the way, the "Multi Pad Bank List" can be found in the PSR-SX900/700 Data List, pages 46/47.

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 11:32:31 PM »
Chris,

Good point, thanks for reminding me. I had noticed a few weeks ago that the multi-pads can do this in the left hand. I went back and took a look. There's only two or so arpeggio multi-pads that have the kind of style I was looking for, SynthPlus and TranceSeq1. Not sure if there are any 3rd party multi-pads out there since the Arpeggio feature Yamaha made is essentially useless for me.  I'll have to research more multi-pads. Below link gives an idea of the style  I was looking to emulate somewhat on the SX900. It's called corporate electronic music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5MFxFKGYg

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2022, 01:01:38 AM »
Chris,

Good point, thanks for reminding me. I had noticed a few weeks ago that the multi-pads can do this in the left hand. I went back and took a look. There's only two or so arpeggio multi-pads that have the kind of style I was looking for, SynthPlus and TranceSeq1. Not sure if there are any 3rd party multi-pads out there since the Arpeggio feature Yamaha made is essentially useless for me.  I'll have to research more multi-pads. Below link gives an idea of the style  I was looking to emulate somewhat on the SX900. It's called corporate electronic music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ5MFxFKGYg

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for your detailed feedback! Please have a look at the Expansion Pack "Magic Dance" by the German company "Easy Sounds":
>>> https://easysoundsshop.de/en/yamaha-electronic-keyboards/yamaha-psr-sx900700/113/psr-sx900/sx700-magic-dance-download
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbvyanO79Wc

The Content of „Magic Dance“ (PSR-SX and Genos versions):
128 Expansion Voices
8 Drum Kits
10 Registration Banks
180 Multi Pad Banks (totally 720 Multi Pads)
140MB Samples

I was allowed to help a little with the creation of this Pack as a beta tester, and I think Peter Krischker and Hans-Peter Henkel have once again succeeded in creating a very good Expansion Pack for Genos, Tyros5, PSR-SX and PSR-S models. :-)

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:48:53 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2022, 01:50:42 AM »
Chris,

I will look at that Dance pack. Coincidentally I had bought the EasySounds Dreamscape pack a few weeks ago. Today, after you mentioned multi-pads, I opened this pack back up but did not see any arpeggio multi-pads in it. Their styles have nice arpeggios built into them, but no separate arpeggio multi-pads.

Are you saying Magic Dance has arpeggio multi-pads, and if so, do you know how many? Their packs are not cheap. I was a bit disappointed in the Dreamscapes pack. Many of the voices were too sound effecty and not as playable for my taste and the Styles to me were too similar to each other, but that is just my opinion. I would recommend the pack to anyone but perhaps not at the 73 dollar price.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 08:03:31 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2022, 09:03:43 AM »
TO be honest - it's not difficult to create arpeggio patterns using the Multi Pad Creator, especially in step mode.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32

Offline overover

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:14 AM »
Chris,

I will look at that Dreamscapes pack. Coincidentally I had bought the EasySounds Dreamscape pack a few weeks ago. Today, after you mentioned multi-pads, I opened this pack back up but did not see any arpeggio multi-pads in it. Their styles have nice arpeggios built into them, but no separate arpeggio multi-pads.

Are you saying Magic Dance has arpeggio multi-pads, and if so, do you know how many? Their packs are not cheap. I was a bit disappointed in the Dreamscapes pack. Many of the voices were too sound effecty and not as playable for my taste and the Styles to me were too similar to each other, but that is just my opinion. I would recommend the pack to anyone but perhaps not at the 73 dollar price.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Some Easy Sound Packs only contain Voices, others also contain new Styles and/or Multi Pads. The "Magic Dance" Pack (Genos and SX versions) contains, as I mentioned before, among other things 180 Multi Pad Banks (totally 720 Multi Pads). The attached picture shows a list of the Multi Pad Banks included in Magic Dance (Genos/SX).

The "Dreamscapes" Pack contains "only" 22 Multi Pad Banks:
>>> https://easysoundsshop.de/en/yamaha-electronic-keyboards/yamaha-psr-sx900700/110/psr-sx900/sx700-dreamscapes-download

Please be sure to read the relevant PDF manual for each Easy Sounds Pack included in the downloaded zip file. You will also find important tips for using the packs.

In this context, please note that on Yamaha Arranger Keyboards all File Selection displays are filtered by file type. I.e. in the VOICE Selection display you only see Voices. To see Styles you must be in the STYLE Selection display, for Multi Pad Banks in the MULTI PAD Selection display and for Registration Banks in the Registration Selection display.

Best regards,
Chris

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 09:19:33 AM by overover »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2022, 11:35:05 AM »
Yes there are 22 Pad Banks in Dreamscapes and some are quite good and contain Vocal clips.

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2022, 07:49:25 PM »
Derek,

Good tip regarding step mode in Multi-pad creator. I have no idea how to make one sound seamless but can give it a try.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2022, 07:56:18 PM »
Chris,

I thought I was in the Multipad expansion section menu. but I will look again. Appreciate the Dance multipad list, as the price is fair for all the work they obviously all put into the pack. Regardless of opinion on price, Kudos to EasySounds for doing products that no one else is really doing for these Arranger lines.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline EileenL

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 09:58:57 PM »
Hi Rich,
  Make sure you press the multi pad button before selecting expansion.

Offline Joe H

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2022, 02:56:49 PM »
I’m reading the manual and trying to get arpeggio chords to play only on the left side of the keyboard, similar to a Style Accompaniment. I then want the RH voices to play with no Arpeggios sounding on those. Is this not possible?

If not possible, which would be a strange omission in my opinion, does Style Creator allow arpeggios to be programmed in? Like "CloudyBay" style on page 9 of Dance. I am only starting to learn Style Creator, but so far don’t see anything about adding argpeggios. Could they be generated manually on one of the Style pattern parts? Someone’s post here on 10/25/21 is saying you can't bring in auto arpeggios into Style Creator.....

It may be helpful to read my article on Multipads

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 07:57:05 PM »
Joe,

I see your article and also interested in downloading the multipad library file you have at the top of the article. There also was a post here in May of this year regarding the lack of arpeggio function in Style Creator, one person in the thread suggested a manual way to key in the arpeggio notes. I don’t know how to use Style Creator yet anyway and it seems that multi-pads are in fact a solution to getting arpeggios to play using the left hand along with Styles. The issue though is Yamaha didn’t provide quite enough arpeggios pads to choose from, so going to try to look elsewhere to find a bunch of them. It looks like your Dance file has a few of them in a folder :)

Rich
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:59:01 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Joe H

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 08:16:22 PM »
Why do you want to play arps with the Left Voice? If you 3 Right-hand Voices you can assign the arp to just 1 Voice. That should work OK.

My article covers a whole lot of features on how to build songs in a registration bank,  How to start/stop Multi Pads with each registration using the Pad Stopper file, and a whole lot more.  It also includes many Multi Pad arps that you may find useful for the kind of music you want to make.

You should also consider buying packs from Easy Sounds.  Not only do they include many Multi Pads, but the Voices in Magic Dance and Analog Xperience have the kind of Voices (synth sounds) needed for electronic music.

Joe H
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 11:22:01 PM by Joe H »
Music is the Universal Language!

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 09:27:15 PM »
Joe,

I don't care if the arp is in the LH or RH voice button. I just want to play the arp simply in the left hand so it is like an auto-accompaniment chord/rhythm, so my right hand is free to play melody. I thought I tried assigning an arp to the RH1 voice and yes, I was then able to play the arp in left hand, however RH2 was a different instrument and that too was arpgeggiating. Do I need to map the RH1 arpeggio a certain way? And do I need to turn off Arpeggio in RH2 voice?

Multi-pads: yes I will be looking at EasySounds as well, but if I can get the above settings to work then that works for me too.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline overover

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 10:02:28 PM »
Hi Rich,

On the SX900 you have 3 Right Parts (R1, R2 and R3). Please check the following:

Normally the Style and Left Split Points are set to the same note (F#2 by default). When the Right3 Split Point is set to the note one semitone higher (G2 by default), you can play all three Right Parts layered starting from this note (or over the full keyboard if ACMP is switched off and also the Left Part is switched off).

If you now set the Right3 Split Point to a higher note, you can play the R3 Voice in this highest keyboard section. (R1 and/or R2 can be played to the left of the Right3 Split Point.)

In this way it should be possible to play an Arpeggio with the left hand (in the R1/R2 keyboard section) and to play the R3 Voice with the right hand.

By the way, the Split Points are always automatically saved in Registrations (Style and Left Split Points when the Style box is ticked, Right3 Split Point when the Voice box is ticked).

Best regards,
Chris
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 10:04:57 PM by overover »

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:26 PM »
Chris,

Thanks so much for the help. I will review this and try in the next few days. If it works nicely I will report back to the forum on it, probably in a separate post. I think there have been some good solutions here, which is the whole point of the forum.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+