Author Topic: SX voice layering community sharing resource?  (Read 4047 times)

Offline p$manK32

SX voice layering community sharing resource?
« on: June 17, 2022, 12:17:46 AM »
I was thinking there is a need for a community sharing resource for users to share/discuss their creative SX900/700 voice layering ideas (registrations). I am not talking about Styles. I have an interest in voice layering & editing on my SX900. I realize the SX900 is not a synth and voice editing is limited, but it has some good potential with its 3 RH voice layers and quality voices and effects. Is there a resource for this in order to maximize the potential of this instrument? Something like Soundmondo has for Montage/MODX?  I find the OneTouch settings preset voice combos are not enough and tend to be repetitive, same pianos, same strings, same brass combos etc.

For example, I recently put together a nice layer combo using Synth Strings + Boys Choir + Orchestral Tutti (legacy) for a nice rich big orchestral soundtracky type of sound. Another example would be tips on how to get a fuller grand piano sound. When I layer two or three piano voices together I don't hear much difference or it actually sounds worse than the single piano. Perhaps some people have ideas on what has worked for them.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 12:32:00 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Joe H

Re: SX voice layering community sharing resource?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2022, 04:15:14 AM »
Here's the way to create a registration bank that has registrations of layered right Voices.

Copy a user style (any style will do) to your USB1 drive.

Load Voices in R1, R2, and R3 and mix them as you like. Do this for all the registrations (full registration bank) and save the reg bank.

Now DELETE the style you copied to the USB1 drive.  When you load the reg bank with layered Right-hand Voices, the registrations will not find the style you deleted.  The affect is that now you can load any style you want and when you select a registration with your layered Voices, the current style you are playing will remain loaded.  You will be able to select your different layered Voice combinations and play along with the current style.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

The following users thanked this post: Dave Shively

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 04:58:25 AM »
Hi Joe,

Not sure if you misinterpreted my post or if this was intended for a different poster. If it was intended for me, I don’t understand it, so I apologize for that. My post was inquiring about SX users potentially sharing their creative voice layerings. I suspect there is no resource for this type of thing and there will be low interest in getting people to share on this forum as well.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 05:03:10 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline Misu

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 06:46:29 AM »
Hi,

One easy way to find this kind of resources (internal voice arrangements) is to load any kind of Yamaha SFF2 (with OTS).
Push the OTS one by one and You will find amazing arrangements.
Choose what you like, modify or not and save as Joe method.
For better sound (ex piano or sax...) use packs - custom voice.

Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline mikf

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 07:00:02 AM »
Rich
I think that resource already exists on this forum. If you want to share edited/layered voice information just post here.
BTW, just a touch of reality. You obviously have a big interest in voice creation, and there may be a few others on the forum with similar interest. But maybe not  as much as you imagine, because most arranger players are quite happy to use the existing voices and OTS on the keyboards and not mess with editing. As you said it’s not a synth, and that’s what people with big interest in voice editing and creation would buy, rather than an arranger.
Mike

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
 Misu,

I get what you are saying. I’ve only had the instrument for a month or so. When you say “any” kind of SFF2 file with OTS, I guess I’m looking for more orchestral strings, usable ambient synth pads and piano type sound combos, so might be better as you say to focus in on packs. However I’m not seeing a wide selection of packs that offer this, but there are a few I found in my research. I think I see where Joe is going with his comment, however being new to the SX, I’m having trouble understanding the purpose of that procedure he outlines.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 09:02:38 AM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I can certainly try to share some of my layered combos here in this forum. I already gave one example above of one I created. However I am also wanting to get other people’s suggestions. But I get it, this is an arranger, not a synth. The MODX interface and sound creation was just too awkward and technically confusing for me to operate, so I returned it and got an SX900 which I am generally very happy with it’s versatility, although I am trying to push it’s sound layering to the max and get it as close to the MODX as much as I can.

My playing needs may be different than most arranger players and exists somewhere between the synth, arranger and digital piano worlds. I don’t always use the style accompaniment but glad it’s there when I want it.  I like to experiment with mixing strings, choirs, brass type orchestral pads for playing new age/ambient/Classical music and also just the piano voice by itself.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 09:14:04 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline DerekA

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 11:13:43 AM »
I think all you really want to do here is share registration bank files that you've created. Seems like a good idea. There is a forum section called 'Registrations' - not sure it's currently used for that, but sounds like a good place to start.

NB normally rather than sharing the actual file, you'd put the file in a cloud share and provide a link to it.
Genos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 11:30:33 AM »
When wanting to use Piano's on all three voices they will sound strange because they compete with one another. You must change the octave of each voice to really bring out the sound. Also use the panning to give a nice full sounds. Also adjust reverb and use DSP settings.

Offline mikf

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 11:54:44 AM »
Derek’s suggestion is good, there is also a section called “Voices” that could be used. These sections were primarily intended for “how to” discussions, but no harm posting voice links there. Registrations can be a bit keyboard specific, so you could also post them under the SX section, but most will work reasonably across recent models. Several people will always be interested and pleased to try any modified and layered voice combinations you post.
If this sparked a lot of activity in this area, we could then consider a separate specific section, but I really doubt that will be necessary.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: p$manK32

Offline Joe H

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 05:02:33 PM »
Hi Joe,

Not sure if you misinterpreted my post or if this was intended for a different poster. If it was intended for me, I don’t understand it, so I apologize for that. My post was inquiring about SX users potentially sharing their creative voice layerings. I suspect there is no resource for this type of thing and there will be low interest in getting people to share on this forum as well.

Rich

Rich,

I was suggesting the same idea as Derek offered.  Create Registration banks with layer Voices and share those with other forum members.

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 07:06:07 PM »
Great idea. It's unfortunate that Yamaha tried this with a program called Repertoire finder; it worked across *all* models, so you could share a registration, and another user using a completely different keyboard could try out your registrations.

Alas, the user interface was a bit clunky, and it never really took off (it was probably a few years to early... it launched around the same time as the PSRs950) and it's discontinued as of April 2018. Also, every logged in expecting to download all these registrations, but Yamaha didn't really seed it themselves first, meaning most of the 1st people who logged in were probably disappointed that they needed to upload some themselves to get the ball rolling. I *did* upload a couple of my old ones on there.

You can still visit  the download page though. Given that PSR tutorial (2003 I think?) predated Repertoire Finder (2012, I think), I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned more on here

Mark

https://ca.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/pianos/apps/repertoire_finder/index.html

Mark

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 07:13:25 PM »
Joe,

Now that you provided more context I now understand why you offered that procedure. I’m a bit new to the SX OS but I’ll look into trying that.

Thanks

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 07:16:57 PM »
Eileen,

Thanks for the piano tips! I am going to try those. I typically don’t find octaved pianos realistic enough for me, but I’ll take a another look at that and see if I can make it subtle.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 07:20:14 PM »
Derek,

Appreciate the “Registration” forum section tip. I will take a look in there. I indeed need to learn how to create a registration file to share.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:44:48 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 07:27:21 PM »
Mike,

Will check out the “Voices” section as well. I will learn how to create a shareable Registration file for a cloud link. I can share what I have, but more importantly I wanted to see what other people have come up with. As I mentioned to another person here, I am interested in pushing the sound laying on the SX900 to the max, the instrument is expensive and has enough decent sounds and power to milk whatever creativity I can out of it, rather than just settling on Yamaha’s preset OTS layer combos.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 07:38:41 PM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 07:37:10 PM »
Mark,

Thanks for that link. I will take a look when I get a chance. I noticed when I had the MODX, Yamaha did a decent job of making it’s users aware of its Soundmondo website and app. For the SX Arranger lineup they just highlight their free download packs and that’s it.

As another poster indicated here, the arranger user probably has less interest in voice/sound layer sharing than the synth user does. Styles are king, which makes sense. As I mentioned to other people in this thread, I am interested in pushing the sound laying on the SX900 to the max, the instrument is expensive and has enough decent sounds and power to milk whatever sound creativity I can out of it, rather than just settling on Yamaha’s preset OTS layer combos.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline lmederos

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2022, 11:34:49 PM »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I can certainly try to share some of my layered combos here in this forum. I already gave one example above of one I created. However I am also wanting to get other people’s suggestions. But I get it, this is an arranger, not a synth. The MODX interface and sound creation was just too awkward and technically confusing for me to operate, so I returned it and got an SX900 which I am generally very happy with it’s versatility, although I am trying to push it’s sound layering to the max and get it as close to the MODX as much as I can.

My playing needs may be different than most arranger players and exists somewhere between the synth, arranger and digital piano worlds. I don’t always use the style accompaniment but glad it’s there when I want it.  I like to experiment with mixing strings, choirs, brass type orchestral pads for playing new age/ambient/Classical music and also just the piano voice by itself.

Rich

Hi Rich

My interests are pretty close to yours... in fact, I'm considering adding an MODX to my SX900. 

Not quite sure what else we could do, but I'm interested.
-- Luis

PSR-SX900

Offline hans1966

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2022, 02:30:36 AM »
Hi Rich, I also like to create my own voices, and also do sound combinations.

I like your idea, and it's innovative.

I must say that although I love the factory sounds of my SX900, I always look to make my own edits, and then combine them to my liking.

in the next video I use the three right hand parts (Rh1, Rh2, and Rh3), to create a string orchestra, and then for the accompaniment I use a freeplay style, with chord loops, so I can focus with both hands on the string orchestra

I hope you like it

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPDdTE_GxI
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2022, 04:53:41 AM »
Hans,

That was quite nice, thanks for sharing. I have not tried the Chord Looper function yet, and good to know it can work with a freeplay style.

I pretty much got the idea from the Modx/Montage Soundmondo. I think there are a lot of combinations to be discovered on the SX900. I may be like you in having the interest in the orchestral, sustaining type of sound layerings. The SX presets certainly don’t have huge amount of voices in this category but enough to play with. Having had a MODX synth for 2 weeks it had some great choir,string,brass sounds but find the SX900 presets come somewhat close to it in quality if you focus on the layering. Of course the SX does not have the serious waveform editing and sound modeling the MODX offers. MODX was just way too complicated for me and I had to return it.

Once I learn how to create a registration file for sharing I might private message you to see if you want to trade some combinations.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 04:58:34 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2022, 05:10:43 AM »
Luis,

I just suggested to another poster here that possibly I can private message him once I gather together more of my combo registrations and learn how to create files for sharing. If you would like me to message you let me know. It may be several weeks before that happens. The forum admin might add a category for this type of thing in the future if interest takes off, but for now there is also the “Voices” and “Registration” sections in the main menu of this forum as a place to share voice files.

I think you will really like the MODX if you are into sound creation, and it would pair great with the SX. I had the MODX7 for 2 weeks but decided the SX900 would be the safer choice for my level of technical ability. Perhaps in the future I would consider getting the smaller MODX6 to go with the SX900. Or maybe wait and see if Yamaha releases a successor to the MODX that has a better user interface, like the SX900 has.

Rich
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 05:15:37 AM by p$manK32 »
SX900, MODX7+

The following users thanked this post: lmederos

Offline EileenL

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2022, 11:42:37 AM »
Hi Folks,
  This is the type of registration I would make up for either recording or playing out.
It has a mix of voices to keep things interesting.

https://app.box.com/s/6rmjsgw7ur3qcdlg766vxaiqzxqqo96m

Offline hans1966

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2022, 04:42:16 PM »
Luis,

I just suggested to another poster here that possibly I can private message him once I gather together more of my combo registrations and learn how to create files for sharing. If you would like me to message you let me know. It may be several weeks before that happens. The forum admin might add a category for this type of thing in the future if interest takes off, but for now there is also the “Voices” and “Registration” sections in the main menu of this forum as a place to share voice files.

I think you will really like the MODX if you are into sound creation, and it would pair great with the SX. I had the MODX7 for 2 weeks but decided the SX900 would be the safer choice for my level of technical ability. Perhaps in the future I would consider getting the smaller MODX6 to go with the SX900. Or maybe wait and see if Yamaha releases a successor to the MODX that has a better user interface, like the SX900 has.

Rich

Hi Rich, thank you very much for your words.

I'm glad you liked my video, and of course I'm happy to try their registers/combinations.

I understand what you are saying about MODX, about how complex it can be when programming, since we are talking about a different category of keyboards, but I assure you that it is worth it.

I don't have MODX, (lack of money) at the moment.

But it would be great to do a MODX/SX900 combination.

At this moment I am working on a combination of voices in the SX900, I will share them as soon as I have them done

Cheers

Hans
« Last Edit: June 19, 2022, 04:47:31 PM by hans1966 »

Offline hans1966

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2022, 04:49:40 PM »
Hi Folks,
  This is the type of registration I would make up for either recording or playing out.

Hi EileenL, Thank you very much for sharing your work.

Cheers

Offline EileenL

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2022, 05:19:00 PM »
You are welcome. Hope it is of use to you.

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, p$manK32

Offline overover

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
Hi Folks,

Thank you very much for sharing your work, Eileen!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline Patrick

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2022, 10:27:29 PM »
Hi Eileen, thank you for the registration, all the best Patrick  :)

Offline p$manK32

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 11:54:28 PM »
Eileen,

The registration you shared is awesome, crystal clear sound processing, good voice layer ideas including left hand choices, very professional sounding. Thank you.

Rich
SX900, MODX7+

Offline EileenL

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2022, 11:36:52 AM »
You are all welcome.

Offline lmederos

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2022, 05:58:49 PM »
Luis,

Rich

Rich, yes!  thank you!
-- Luis

PSR-SX900