Author Topic: GENOS updates  (Read 4167 times)

Offline JohnH

GENOS updates
« on: June 15, 2022, 03:17:15 PM »
I have one of the first Genos sold in USA   I have updated to V2.0     is it worth it to go the latest update ??  the keyboard works to my satisfaction---been a flawless keyboard---i now have it hooked up to Bose L1 Pro8----IMPRESSED with the sounds---THANKS for any advice/comments    --John

Offline Gunnar Jonny

Re: GENOS updates
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2022, 04:09:21 PM »
Hi.

If it aint broke, don't fix it they say....

Here is the latest update history, so if it don't matter to you, dont update.
At the other hand, always OK to have the equipment up to date.  ;D

Quote:
[V2.10 to V2.11]
Fixed a problem in which MIDI template files could not be saved under normal operation, which only occurs with firmware version 2.10.

[V2.02 to V2.10]

- You can now change the tempo with dial operation directly (without pressing the [TEMPO] button) while the Home display is shown.
- The maximum value of "Pattern Length" of the Style Creator has been extended from 32 to 128 bars.
- You can now set whether or not a file is loaded immediately when it is selected with the dial when the File Selection display is active.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 05:23:48 PM »
Congrats, John. The "latest and greatest update" completely screwed some of my System settings for which there is no fix! I have no idea what the number is but I wish I left well enough alone!!

By the way, I play my Genos through two Pro 8s. the sound is scary good!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
I would update to the latest version. All version updates contain some bug fixes.

And if you ever need help, the first thing you're going to be asked is if you're on the latest version.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 06:12:07 PM »
Good thought, Fred. I just wish they'd fix the System settings they screwed up! No one here has any idea how to fix them.

"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 11:16:57 PM »
We were all advised to make a note of our settings before doing the update as they would be lost when loading Version 2 and we then would need to put them back in.

Offline Michael Trigoboff

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 12:12:22 AM »
Quote from: EileenL
We were all advised to make a note of our settings before doing the update as they would be lost when loading Version 2 and we then would need to put them back in.

Can we be sure of restoring our settings by loading a backup after the update?
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 01:00:02 PM »
I did make note of all my system settings, Eileen. The thing that has changed is the default view of the Live Control window. No matter what I do or how I set the Memorize functions, it never displays the sliders as the default view after selecting another registration. Before the update, it always displayed the sliders in the Mixer, no matter what or when I changed registrations.

That may not be part of the System settings but whatever Gremlin is in that update, it sucks! I started a thread on that months ago and none of the solutions worked to restore the default view. At this time, before a playing session, I have to manually select the Mixer settings in the Live Control window and press Freeze. Sometimes I forget to do that before a show and look up at the Mixer and see a different set of settings.

Funny thing is, if I press the Registration button twice, the correct display is seen. This NEVER happened before the updates!! It's a real nuisance.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 03:12:35 PM »
No Michael, If you have made a Bach up file you can not restore it after update to version 2.
 You have to make a visual note of them and then once the update is done you then set them up again.

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 03:57:00 PM »
I still can't believe Yamaha makes us restore System settings manually after a simple update. It's the only software I know of and have used over the past 35 years with such limitations. Even Microsoft does it better than that!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2022, 04:26:36 PM »
I still can't believe Yamaha makes us restore System settings manually after a simple update. It's the only software I know of and have used over the past 35 years with such limitations. Even Microsoft does it better than that!

It wasn’t a simple update. It increased expansion memory considerably.

Your choice was to forgo the improvements, or go through the hassle of the update. I prefer the improvements.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline overover

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2022, 05:06:35 PM »
... Funny thing is, if I press the Registration button twice, the correct display is seen. This NEVER happened before the updates!! It's a real nuisance.

Hi Lee,

Are MIDI files memorized in these registrations? If so, these MIDI files could contain so-called Keyboard Voice Meta Events that cause the problems you mention. The first time a registration is called up, the MIDI file is loaded, and shortly thereafter (if Quick Start is enabled) all initialization commands are sent, as well as the Keyboard Voice events (if included). The latter can initially overwrite settings memorized in the registration. If the relevant registration button is then pressed a second time, the correct settings memorized in the registration will be restored.

With PSRUTI you can easily remove such Keyboard Voice events from MIDI files if necessary. Please note: When saving MIDI files on the Genos (in MIDI Multi Recording > Setup), the box "Keyboard Voice" must not be checked if you are also working with registrations.

Best regards,
Chris

➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »
Chris, you're the first to offer up that solution. I played a show last night and my Genos is still packed. I'll get it up and running later today and check. Thanks.

Fred, Yamaha has never had a decent track record in explaining tech things to all audiences. Just because you understand the full implications and differences in these updates, don't assume everyone does ;). I find them very confusing. Like I mentioned, EVERY update in other software I've used over the past 35 years has been mostly automated and has left everything intact. A few things may have been shifted around but the essential basics were never disrupted. I never had this issue prior to this last update. Something happened as a result of this update.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2022, 07:40:07 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2022, 06:47:59 PM »
It wasn’t a simple update. It increased expansion memory considerably.

Your choice was to forgo the improvements, or go through the hassle of the update. I prefer the improvements.

Cheers,
Fred

V 2.0 to 2.02 increased the memory considerably. But I didn't see any note going further than the 3072mb (3gb exactly) that 2.10 or 2.11 increased that any further? And as YEM development has been halted (for now), which means I didn't want to upgrade past 2.02 until I know if the registrations from 2.11 or 'forward compatible' with 2.02 (not backwards compatible... of course they're always back compat. 2.02 can read 1.01 registrations, etc. But not the other way around).
The only way to actually be 'forward compatible' is if Yamaha left the reg file header untouched (and it's possible they did). But yeah, if 2.10/2.11 increased the expansion memory to more than 3072, then I'll *have* to dive in anyway!

Mark

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 01:55:08 PM »
Hi Lee,

Are MIDI files memorized in these registrations? If so, these MIDI files could contain so-called Keyboard Voice Meta Events that cause the problems you mention. The first time a registration is called up, the MIDI file is loaded, and shortly thereafter (if Quick Start is enabled) all initialization commands are sent, as well as the Keyboard Voice events (if included). The latter can initially overwrite settings memorized in the registration. If the relevant registration button is then pressed a second time, the correct settings memorized in the registration will be restored.

With PSRUTI you can easily remove such Keyboard Voice events from MIDI files if necessary. Please note: When saving MIDI files on the Genos (in MIDI Multi Recording > Setup), the box "Keyboard Voice" must not be checked if you are also working with registrations.

Best regards,
Chris
Hi Chris,
I finally unpacked my Genos. I have no MIDI songs saved in any registrations. In fact, there are no MIDI songs in my Genos except for the Expansion Pack demos. The Memory button menu saves everything except MIDI Songs and Audio Songs. Someone mentioned I should uncheck Live Control. Thoughts? I still need to set the view in the Live Control window in the upper left part of the Genos and press Freeze. Otherwise, the default view is Knob Assign. I want the default to always be Slider Assign, like it always was before the update!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 01:56:22 PM by Lee Batchelor »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2022, 03:32:11 PM »
V 2.0 to 2.02 increased the memory considerably. But I didn't see any note going further than the 3072mb (3gb exactly) that 2.10 or 2.11 increased that any further? And as YEM development has been halted (for now), which means I didn't want to upgrade past 2.02 until I know if the registrations from 2.11 or 'forward compatible' with 2.02 (not backwards compatible... of course they're always back compat. 2.02 can read 1.01 registrations, etc. But not the other way around).
The only way to actually be 'forward compatible' is if Yamaha left the reg file header untouched (and it's possible they did). But yeah, if 2.10/2.11 increased the expansion memory to more than 3072, then I'll *have* to dive in anyway!

It was 2.0 that increased the expansion memory, and was a hassle to install. All other updates, including 2.02, 2.10, 2.11 etc. were simple installs.

Not sure why you need forward compatibility. Isn't backward compatibility all we need?

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2022, 07:16:01 PM »
Because, as I said (probably ineloquently), if they changed the reg file headers again with 2.11, we won't be able to use Murray's Registration Manager to transfer to other keyboards.

If you only have a Genos, then no, forward compatibility won't matter to you. But if like me, and you work in a place with every current model on hand (and/or own a couple of models that also use YEM; esp a CVP and a PSR) the ability to make registrations portable is a *huge* time saver. (Thanks Murray!!)

Mark

Offline JohnH

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2022, 12:17:02 PM »
THANKS EVERYBODY for all the comments---much appreciated !!!    I'm 87 years old, don't play gigs anymore--so i made decision to leave it alone----works to my satisfaction---i started life at age 12 playing the accordion   went to a cordovox, played that for several years---went to the Lowrey organ--now have the Imperial model----went to Yamaha keyboards--now the Genos---have enjoyed the music adventure--I'll just keep making music until the LORD calls me home-----ENJOY your music everybody !!!   John Heim from N.C.    by the way,  i still drive my late model CORVETTE almost every day !   The Vette & music keeps me smiling--

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2022, 01:09:36 PM »
Good for you, John. You remind me of a friend who pretty much did the exact same thing you have done all your life. I paired up with him years ago to do factory Christmas parties and WWII veteran Legion parties. We each brought our Yamaha MC series dual manual organs and played up a storm.

He was rejected from the Canadian Armed Forces in 1939 due to a heart condition at age 20. He lived well into his 90s. Perhaps it's the music that kept him going so long too. Stay well and keep practicing ;D.

Offline mikf

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
87 years old and you can still get in and out of a corvette! That’s impressive. A couple of years ago I got a chance to sit in a formula 1 car. It took three people and a can opener to extract me.
Mike