Author Topic: Yamaha PSR S950 Volume/amp issue  (Read 138 times)

Offline PetrVirag

Yamaha PSR S950 Volume/amp issue
« on: August 01, 2022, 04:33:20 AM »
Hello Everyone, new to this forum and also new to yamaha psr s950 line. I know 10 years later right. I recently just got the s950 for my kids and they love it however we have noticed that if the volume is more than half way up the sounds just shut off for about a second then returns. We then turn the volume down a bit and everything works fine. I also noticed that if I load new set of styles from other keyboards it does the same even on lower volume settings and its annoying. My only solution is to go over the master EQ settings and turn the lower frequency down then everything seems fine. Should I be concern is this a potential issues that will worsen?? any help would be appreciated.

Offline GregB

Re: Yamaha PSR S950 Volume/amp issue
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 06:17:51 AM »
Hi PetrVirag,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your S950 purchase!  Sorry you're having trouble with your keyboard. :(

Questions, to help with diagnostics: when the sounds "just shut off" for about a second, does the sound go away completely or are there some high frequency sounds still present?  And does it happen to both speakers at exactly the same time?  If you "pan" the voices (using the mixer screen) to one side, and then the other (and turn the volume up a bit to compensate), does that change the behavior at all?  If you listen closely, does  the left or right speaker sound somewhat distorted compared to the other side?

- Greg
PSR-S950
PSR-520
1920 Bush & Lane Upright Grand

Offline PetrVirag

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 03:51:45 PM »
Hello GregB

thank you for you response, and I apologize for the long reply. What is happening is when I play a style at a certain volume and when the bass hits both speakers completely turn off for about a second then turn back on I also hear a click sound coming from the right side of the keyboard similar sound like as if the keyboard just turned on and finished loading there is that click and the main screen pops. This is the best way I can describe it, the only solution that I found is to turn the bass frequency down on the main EQ settings then I can play styles loudly, from recent complaint's Ive heard about this keyboard speakers that they are very boomy which is true but i like the boomy bass. Other than that I am tempted to open the keyboard and go over the main logic boards and see if there are any issues that could potentially be causing this.

Mind you that when i purchased this keyboard from second hand it was in a horrible condition and I've basically rebuild this keyboard but I will be uploading this little project of mine in another posting with pictures. 

If anyone had the same experience with this it would be helpful to know what the solution was, this way i can save some time or order the necessary parts before i start digging into this.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 05:04:49 PM »
Check the power adaptor also. If possible, try a new one.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page