Author Topic: Aux Outputs confusion  (Read 2056 times)

Offline sunny

Aux Outputs confusion
« on: June 08, 2022, 07:22:18 PM »
Friends,
       I am confused with the Genos Aux Outputs. There is no description in the manual about Aux Outputs whether they are stereo or mono or L+R.

1) What does it mean AUX 3 and Aux 4 ?

2) Is Aux 3 Left Channel and Aux 4 is Right Channel ?

3) Can we get L+ R output for Aux ?

Please clarify these questions.

Thanks,
Sunny.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 04:03:29 AM by sunny »

Offline overover

Re: Aux Outputs confusion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2022, 12:29:34 AM »
Hi Sunny,

The LINE OUT SUB jacks #1 and #2 always work as SUB outputs. (If a specific Part is assigned to only ONE Sub Out, that signal will be output MONO. If a specific Part is assigned to TWO Sub Outs at the same time (e.g. LINE OUT SUB 1&2), that Part will be output there in STEREO (Sub Out #1 = Left, Sub Out #2 = Right).

The LINE OUT SUB jacks #3 and #4 can be switched to the "AUX OUT" function via the "Sub3-4 <> AUX" switch in the display "Menu > Line Out" (see page 163 in the current Genos Reference Manual (Version 2.10 , identifier "h0" in the file name):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

AUX OUT is always STEREO ("3 AUX OUT" = Left channel, "4 AUX OUT" = Right channel). The signal at the AUX OUT jacks is always exactly the same as the signal at the LINE OUT MAIN jacks, except that the AUX OUT signal is NOT affected by the MASTER VOLUME dial, i.e. has a fixed volume.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline sunny

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 04:21:33 AM »
Hi Sunny,

The LINE OUT SUB jacks #1 and #2 always work as SUB outputs. (If a specific Part is assigned to only ONE Sub Out, that signal will be output MONO. If a specific Part is assigned to TWO Sub Outs at the same time (e.g. LINE OUT SUB 1&2), that Part will be output there in STEREO (Sub Out #1 = Left, Sub Out #2 = Right).

The LINE OUT SUB jacks #3 and #4 can be switched to the "AUX OUT" function via the "Sub3-4 <> AUX" switch in the display "Menu > Line Out" (see page 163 in the current Genos Reference Manual (Version 2.10 , identifier "h0" in the file name):
>>> https://uk.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/genos/downloads.html#product-tabs

AUX OUT is always STEREO ("3 AUX OUT" = Left channel, "4 AUX OUT" = Right channel). The signal at the AUX OUT jacks is always exactly the same as the signal at the LINE OUT MAIN jacks, except that the AUX OUT signal is NOT affected by the MASTER VOLUME dial, i.e. has a fixed volume.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your answers. I have another question, when Microphone is routed through Sub outputs 1&2 , the system effect(Reverb, Chorus) are missing. In the reference manual, it says-

" Only the Insertion Effect and Vocal Harmony effects can be applied to the sound output from the SUB jacks. The System Effect (Chorus, Reverb, and when the Variation Effect is set to “System”) will not be applied".

So, is it possible to apply System effect (Reverb and Chorus) to sub outputs when Microphone sound is routed through Sub outputs ?

Thanks,
Sunny

Offline overover

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »
Hi Chris,
Thanks for your answers. I have another question, when Microphone is routed through Sub outputs 1&2 , the system effect(Reverb, Chorus) are missing. In the reference manual, it says-

" Only the Insertion Effect and Vocal Harmony effects can be applied to the sound output from the SUB jacks. The System Effect (Chorus, Reverb, and when the Variation Effect is set to “System”) will not be applied".

So, is it possible to apply System effect (Reverb and Chorus) to sub outputs when Microphone sound is routed through Sub outputs ?

Thanks,
Sunny

Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your quick feedback!

No, it is definitely NOT possible to use system effect blocks (Reverb, Chorus, or Variation when set to "System") on the Sub outputs. System effects are always automatically removed as soon from Parts when routed to Sub outputs.

By the way, it's better NOT to use any system effects for MIC/VH anyway, because the system effects depend on the Style / MIDI file used. I recommend using only Insertion effects for MIC/VH.

If you connect MIC/VH to an external mixer , you can of course also use the mixer's effects. If you use two Sub outputs (stereo), it is important that the Input channels used on the external mixer are panned "hard left" and "hard right".

Best regards,
Chris

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 10:04:16 AM by overover »
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Offline sunny

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 10:34:25 AM »
Hi Sunny,

Thanks for your quick feedback!

No, it is definitely NOT possible to use system effect blocks (Reverb, Chorus, or Variation when set to "System") on the Sub outputs. System effects are always automatically removed as soon from Parts when routed to Sub outputs.

By the way, it's better NOT to use any system effects for MIC/VH anyway, because the system effects depend on the Style / MIDI file used. I recommend using only Insertion effects for MIC/VH.

If you connect MIC/VH to an external mixer , you can of course also use the mixer's effects. If you use two Sub outputs (stereo), it is important that the Input channels used on the external mixer are panned "hard left" and "hard right".

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Genos Microphone sound with system effect especially Reverb sound good when compared insertion effects. Disable of System effects problem also noticed is earlier Tyros keyboards.

I hope the Genos substitution model will have option for using System effects for Sub outputs.

Sunny

« Last Edit: June 09, 2022, 10:36:28 AM by sunny »

Offline pjd

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 06:41:24 PM »
Hi Sunny and Chris --

It may be splitting hairs, but there is a technical distinction between effect algorithms and effect units.

There are separate System effect units called "Reverb" and "Chorus". As I'm sure you both know, different effect algorithms (presets such as "Real Large Hall") can be assigned to a System unit as defined in the "Effect Type List", page 46, of the Data List PDF.

Similarly, an effect algorithm is assigned to an Insertion effect unit. The insertion effect algorithms include many reverb and chorus types. So, one could assign a reverb to the Insertion effect unit for the microphone.

Unfortunately, the really, really good reverb algorithms (REAL REVERB) cannot be assigned to an Insertion effect unit.

Hope this helps -- pj