Author Topic: Wattage used?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline Stratcat

Wattage used?
« on: June 08, 2022, 02:01:07 PM »
Does anyone know and can tell me just how much wattage the Genos draws? I’m curious how large a power station I’d need to power it up and use
Thanks
Jim
Best Wishes,
Jim
PSR SX900, Genos 1, 1987 Strat+

Offline MikeS

Re: Wattage used?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 02:46:28 PM »
Genos without powered speakers draws 15.5Watts/30.5VA (-26.3VARS) with a power factor of 0.51. This was measure on a 240V mains supply, 110V mains should be similar. Powered speakers will draw a lot more power. As the mains power is connected direct to the Genos you will need to use a pure sinewave UPS as the high frequency harmonics in a simulated sinewave (stepped square wave) UPS could induce into the sensitive electronics within the Genos - especially the microphone input. A UPS will have a Watt and VA rating eg 600W/900VA, if you are connecting multiple devices, the Watt rating of each device can be added to give total Watts but the VA cannot be directly added together. However if you do add VA, if the total VA is less than the UPS rating you will be Ok - the actual VA will be less than this.

Offline mikf

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2022, 04:16:37 PM »
Jim
MikeS has given you a very complete technical answer, but the simple answer is that it is hardly anything.
By and large electronic devices are very low power users, things with heaters like hair dryers are the power guzzlers. You would need to run about 50 Genos to use as much power as one hand held hair dryer.
Mike

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »
Mike is correct, of course ;D. You plug the Genos into a wall socket at 120 or 240 volts depending where you live, and it is immediately stepped down to 12 volts DC or something similar. There's no amplifier for driving internal speakers, so the draw is next to nothing.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.