Author Topic: Audio Routing?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Michael Trigoboff

Audio Routing?
« on: June 01, 2022, 04:27:02 AM »
Is there a way to route audio inside the Genos so that what comes in on AUX IN does not go back out on LINE OUT: MAIN and DIGITAL OUT?

The only thing I have found relevant to this in the manuals is the Block Diagram on page 132 of the Reference Manual. But that provides no information about what capabilities there may be to switch particular internal audio paths on and off.

What I would like to do is play the Genos while singing into a microphone and have only the microphone audio come out on DIGITAL OUT, while still hearing what I am playing on the Genos through the attached speakers. The point would be to allow me to record what I was singing (including vocal harmony generated by the Genos) into Cubase.

I know I could do something similar with Audio Multi Recording, but I'm curious about whether I can record this way directly into Cubase.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 04:35:24 AM by Michael Trigoboff »
retired software developer and Computer Science instructor
Grateful Deadhead emeritus

"He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt."
-- Joseph Heller, Catch-22

Offline DerekA

Re: Audio Routing?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2022, 10:02:35 AM »
I don't know the answer, but have a look at the Reference Manual section 16 "Selecting the output destination of each sound" to see if there's anything in there that helps.
Genos

The following users thanked this post: Michael Trigoboff

Offline pjd

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 01:03:35 AM »
TMI...

The digital output bit stream (DITO) is generated by the master SWP70. The main and sub(s) digital audio is sent from the master SWP70 over the multi-channel serial digital audio bus to separate DACs.

Owner's manual Page 109 has a box titled "Using the [DIGITAL OUT] jack". It sez "The [DIGITAL OUT] jack has the same output signal as the LINE OUT MAIN jacks." This box has a tip regarding the digital output level.

Hope this helps -- pj

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2022, 01:24:53 AM »
Quote from: DerekA
I don't know the answer, but have a look at the Reference Manual section 16 "Selecting the output destination of each sound" to see if there's anything in there that helps.

Thanks, I had the same thought myself last night right before I went to sleep. It works!

I was able to use the Genos Line Out settings to send (analog) audio from the style to SUB 1 and 2. Meanwhile, I left Mic output set to Main (and therefore to DIGITAL OUT).

Then I set up my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 audio interface to send the audio from both the style and the microphone to the speakers. It seems that all inputs to the audio interface automatically get sent via USB to the PC.

In Cubase on my PC, I set up one input bus for the digital audio from the microphone, and another for the analog audio from the style. I was then able to record the microphone onto one audio track, and the style onto another.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:36:42 AM by Michael Trigoboff »

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2022, 01:31:13 AM »
Quote from: pj
The digital output bit stream (DITO) is generated by the master SWP70. The main and sub(s) digital audio is sent from the master SWP70 over the multi-channel serial digital audio bus to separate DACs.

Owner's manual Page 109 has a box titled "Using the [DIGITAL OUT] jack". It sez "The [DIGITAL OUT] jack has the same output signal as the LINE OUT MAIN jacks." This box has a tip regarding the digital output level.

Thanks. That's useful information.

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2022, 01:35:49 AM »
One remaining question:

Does the Genos have a way to control the volume of audio going to the various analog outputs, e.g. SUB 1, SUB 2, etc?

I hunted around but didn't find anything.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 01:40:51 AM by Michael Trigoboff »

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 12:17:44 PM »
One remaining question:

Does the Genos have a way to control the volume of audio going to the various analog outputs, e.g. SUB 1, SUB 2, etc?

I hunted around but didn't find anything.
Hi Michael,

I don't think so. I use the Sub 1 and Sub 2 outs during performances and I route them to my mixer and control their volumes that way. Do you have a small mixer for this purpose? I think it would work if inserted into the signal chain between the Sub outs and the Focusrite.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.