Author Topic: Hello everybody  (Read 3331 times)

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Hello everybody
« on: April 06, 2022, 09:33:53 AM »
Hi all,

Thought I would introduce myself.  I have just taken delivery of a Yamaha DGX 670 which I will hopefully be able to put to good use learning the piano at the ripe old age of 59!

Reason for purchase of this particular instrument was that I am quite interested in having the ability to play along to backing instruments and a drum track rather than just a metronome.

Only a couple of month in to my learning journey (having started on a borrowed DGX 650) and finding it slow going but fun nonetheless.

Hoping to be able to contribute in a positive way to the forums as well as learn from other more experienced members.

Brian

Offline Roger Brenizer

Re: Hello everybody
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum and thank you for becoming a member.  I’m sure you'll learn a lot about your new DGX 670 piano here on our forum and will experience many pleasurable hours playing it.

You’ll want to be sure to visit the Home page and check out some of the tutorials you will find links to there.  The following link will take you to the Home page of the website:

https://psrtutorial.com/

Should you later decide to become a supporting member, which will include lifetime membership, other forum boards will become available to you, as well as a wealth of additional musical knowledge; however, there is absolutely no obligation to do so.  You may also use the following link to discover the full benefit of becoming a Supporting Member of the PSR Tutorial.

https://www.psrtutorial.com/forum/index.php/topic,15536.0.html

You’ll also gain access to an Excel Song Index database, made available to supporting members by our good friend, Peter (XeeniX) and maintained by another good friend, Runner4Fun, which presently contains 104,272 song titles in 2,720 indexed books.  This index is updated often.

In lieu of making a donation only, you may also order any of the websites resources, which can be found at the following link:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/productsum.html

Joe Waters updated “Supporting the PSR Tutorial”, on August 27, 2017, which can be found here:

https://psrtutorial.com/cdrom/index.html

We’re so glad you've decided to become a member and very happy you've decided to become a part of this great forum family.  If you have any questions, then please just ask.  Many of our members are always very willing to help you.
"Music Is My Life"
My best regards,
Roger

(The older I get...the better I used to be...LOL!!!)
Roger’s PSR Performer Page

Offline overover

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 11:10:43 AM »
Welcome to the PSR Tutorial Forum, Brian!

All the best from Germany,
Chris
➪ Everyone kept saying "That won't work!" - Then someone came along who didn't know that and just did it.
➪ Never put the manual too far away: There's more in it than you think! ;-)

Zaphod Beeblebrox

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 11:38:23 AM »
Thanks for the welcome Roger and Chris.

Thanks also for the links to the tutorials etc.  Looks to be a lot of useful information on the whole site aside from the wealth of knowledge in the various forums.

As I progress I certainly will consider becoming a supporting member.

Brian

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 01:42:34 PM »
Welcome Brian😀
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline MINKYCATS

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 09:53:05 AM »
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy the Forum and making music.

Trevor (MINKYCATS)
Yamaha AR100 organ:  Genos
Previous: Hammond C3 with PR40 tone cabinet, Yamaha E30, Technics SX-EX60, Yamaha EL70, Technics KN7000, Tyros 5 - 61 and others.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 09:20:24 PM »
Welcome, and please say hi to Arthur Dent and Trillian for us ;)

The DGX670 is a very, very good instrument; I wasn't expecting that big a jump from the DGX660! You can even bluetooth audio in from say, a YouTube video, play along and sing along with the built in mic input, and record all of that to a wav file!

Mark

Zaphod Beeblebrox

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 04:36:27 PM »
Hi Mark, yes I think it’s a huge step up from the DGX650 I was using. 

I also find the menus reasonably easy to navigate whereas I sometimes wasn’t sure where to find a few of the options on the 650.

Online Graham UK

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 04:52:18 PM »
Zaphod Beeblebrox. I have had my DGX670 for past 5 months and surprised just how good the voice samples are.
Interesting that you find the Menu easy because for me the Menu is frustrating, I think the R&D department must have been on a substance when they designed the Menu.

Previously owned Yamaha arrangers for past 50 years (yes I'm that old) so never before had Menu dislike.

Enjoy this excellent forum.   (Graham in Lincoln UK)
DGX670

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 09:18:11 PM »
Heh! Graham, I've been playing keys since my dad's 7' grand and Hammond w/ Twin Leslies for about 48 years, so not too different in age (you can tell I'm 50 in my latest YouTube vids, no? I haven't uploaded any since hitting 51, working on a few though)

Yamaha has 4 basic OS/interfaces for arrangers (The workstations were produced by a completely separate arm from the "home keys" division, and thus the completely different OS's on their workstations like the Motifs.)

The entry level interface, which is used in all the PSRE series, all DGX prior to the 670, and even CVP's up to the CVP201/202, is their clunkiest.

The 2nd level up, which was previously used on the PSRs670, and now the sx600 and DGX670, is the same as their previous top of the line arrangers with the 10 face buttons (A through J, which made navigation a breeze) but without the 10 face buttons! Instead cutting costs by using 4 cursor buttons to get around. This current DGX/sx600 interface isn't as easy to use as the old top of the line 10 face button interface or the new touch screen interface, but it's miles ahead of the entry level interface that all the previous DGX (and current PSR-E series) employed.

The 3rd level up uses 10 face buttons A through J which means it works similarly to touch screen, but instead of a touch screen you pressed the button next to the desired menu item. All Tyros, PSR-S series, PSR2000/2100, PSR3000, CVP309/305/ up to 505/509 all used this; some of the entry level CVP (301-701) also used a harder to see variant where the screen was so small, that the buttons weren't next to the on-screen menu items, but instead had sloped lines drawn to point to where you were accessing on screen.

And the current top level touch screen interfaces, which is easy to navigate but ironically harder to edit with (which is why I kept both of my 10 face button interface keyboards) is universal across Genos/PSRsx and there's a slightly easier to use variant on the touch screen CVP's. (slightly easier because when you turn a layer off, it vanishes from screen so you can clearly see which sounds are active at a glance).

The point is, trying out a PSRE/old DGX will give you a new appreciation for the DGX670's 'level 2' interface!

Mark

Zaphod Beeblebrox

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 05:57:54 PM »
Hi Graham. 
I think that compared to the DGX650 i find it more logical to my way of thinking.  In particular, on the 650 you pressed a 'function' button and then had to scroll through all the options sequentially whereas once you go into the 'menu' on the 670 you can then go directly to the appropriate 'section' you need to change.
I also like the easy way you can turn off and on the main & backing 'layers' and left hand directly from the panel.
So although you my be right in comparing it to other 'arrangers' from Yamaha, my little brain finds it an improvement over my limited experience with the 650.

Zaphod Beeblebrox. I have had my DGX670 for past 5 months and surprised just how good the voice samples are.
Interesting that you find the Menu easy because for me the Menu is frustrating, I think the R&D department must have been on a substance when they designed the Menu.

Previously owned Yamaha arrangers for past 50 years (yes I'm that old) so never before had Menu dislike.

Enjoy this excellent forum.   (Graham in Lincoln UK)

Offline Alistair53

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2022, 08:30:44 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brian
PSR-SX900