Author Topic: Yamah to Korg  (Read 3805 times)

Offline Ernie

Yamah to Korg
« on: May 28, 2022, 07:29:33 PM »
Hi my Yamaha friends ,,, I a m going to say goodbeye to Yamaha,
I loved it long time ago...! But for now my keyboard PSR S950 is for sale.
I love to buy a second hand Korg PAx4 froma a friend.   I know I can't be a performer here anymore.
I keep loving this website...! Thanks a lot for your support....!

Ernie

« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 07:54:37 AM by Ernie »

Offline Toril S

Re: Yamah yo Korg
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2022, 07:47:29 PM »
Sleep on it Ernie. For several nights.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline travlin-easy

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 07:59:30 PM »
I would not trade my S-950 for all the Korgs on the planet. :) It is among the most versatile arranger keyboards I have ever owned, and I have never found anything that is remotely close to its voices and styles. I know it has been a lot of years since I owned a Korg, and there have been lots of improvements, but IMO, Korg still has a long way to go in order to come remotely close to Yamaha.

Good luck, on whatever you decide upon, old friend, and yes you can still post song on this forum, regardless of the brand of keyboard you own.

Gary 8)
Love Those Yammies...

Online Amwilburn

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 11:15:14 PM »
No reason you can't still be a PSR performer, I don't think?

Anyway, the Korg PA4x has amazing keys, really good drums (better than s950, yes. In fact, only the Genos, CVP809/805, and PSRsx900 have better). And since your Yamaha doesn't have YEM compatibility, you wouldn't miss all the sample downloads available for Yamaha.

What you will miss, though? As great as the built in styles are, I've yet to find an easy way to find Korg styles; there's no resource /community quite like this one!
What I'm saying is, by all means, get a Korg PA4x/PA1000/PA700; there's some great sounds and styles to be had there. But if you're going to get rid of your s950, I strongly recommend getting a Yamaha that's YEM compatible, because the flexibility of Yamaha is unbeatable. Even your s950 can download a single sample pack at a time; they're worth checking out before checking out of the site :)

Mark

Offline Ed B

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 01:57:45 AM »
We will miss you Ernie. Its been a long time.
All the best whatever your decision.
Regards
Ed B
Keep on learning

Offline Graham UK

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 10:12:56 AM »
I have owned Yamaha.Roland & korg and enjoyed all of them.
There are no bad keyboards today and it is nice to learn a new OS.

Ernie. Enjoy your Korg.
As TravelEasy stated you can still post your songs.
I'll be interested in your feedback.
DGX670

Offline hans1966

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 03:53:59 AM »
Hi Ernie,
I respect your decision, and I respectfully give you some advice.

Go get your Korg Pa4x, but keep your PSR-S950.

For a long time I have wanted to have both technologies, and at this moment the dream has been granted.

Every day I enjoy my beloved PSR-SX900, and now I complement it and enjoy it more in combination with my little Korg Pa300.

I love playing with both technologies
(they complement each other very well)
each one has its charm.

It would be very gratifying to continue listening to your songs.

I send you
a warm hug!
« Last Edit: May 30, 2022, 03:57:06 AM by hans1966 »
"Enjoying my SX600, and moving step by step through the journey of life"

Offline Ernie

Re: Yamah to Korg
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
Thank you for your messages my friends.

Ernie

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2022, 12:02:44 PM »
One more reply from a player who has owned quite a few different KORG and Yamaha Keyboards.  I agree with Hans 1966 try to keep your PSR-S950.  I have both Yamaha and Korg arrangers, as much as I like my Pa4x I prefer Yamaha.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline Ernie

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 08:32:14 AM »
Thank you Stephen,

The Yamaha is sold and now I have to wait.
My friend is selling his PA4X. He is waiting for the PA5x.

Regards,
Ernie

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 10:55:11 AM »
My friend is selling his PA4X. He is waiting for the PA5x.

It is said that those who wait for something good do not wait in vain ...  8)
Now it seems that PA5X is a reality, and that there will be a presentation and that it will be available in stores in the near future.
I will keep Genos, but hopefully it will make it more easy to find a used PA4X-76 in mint condition to add at my rack.
Fingers crossed.  ;D

Btw,
I can see there is posted a long list of specs at Korg Forum that also has been copied into a post at SZ. Interesting reading.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 01:34:00 PM »
Ernie, did you explain why you are leaving Yamaha for Korg? I listened to a PA4X demo from Kraft Music and IMO, Korg has a ways to go before it can catch up to Yamaha Tyros level (Yes I said Tyros, considering the age). I'd probably put the PA4X on Tyros 3 or 4, no way it can beat 5. On the other hand, the PSR SX900 impressed me, I would recommend you give it a try.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2022, 01:06:37 PM »
Hi
I have heard that the new Korg PA X5 will be more powerful than the Genos
Well, for me i will test it out when it arrives as it may deserve close attention.
If that is going to be the case then i would be not surprised to see Yamaha reply.
For me the only problems with the Genos is, that some of the editing options and a lack of space for real wave/ sf2 samples is evident.
One multisample with Sample Robot took up 3 gigabytes. So you have to scale back the amount of notes or octaves.
The Genos does work well with Cubase but you have to put the pre-gain up about 8 to 9db to get anywhere near 18Luf's for mixing.
A recording on the Genos is way to low and that is why Audacity is used by lots of Genos owner.
I would like to see an option for better pre gain on the Genos itself. All you have really is a volume knob and limited by the recorder up to the red zone and that will not give you 18Luf's.
For streaming music 13-14 Luf's is standard and CD about 6 to 9 Luf's
I also notice that since Tv programmes come under the Luf standard you do have to push up the volume more these days in UK. Funny that adverts are louder !!! :P
What i would like to know really is what do you do when recording a flat song to transfer to Cubase and how many db'sdo you have to increase as i am still learning.
It is quite hard when all tracks recorded are stereo in the first place. Normally i have seen all tracks mono and panned by mixers on UTUBE.
Well i now use Neutron 4 and Ozone 9, Gulfoss and just purchased AB Perception. All a big learn curve though.

Looking at the Korg PAX 4  it seems that they have a function to make a style from a midi track and then you can add to it yourself.
So number 5 could be great.
I do not know what the Korg is like up against the Genos, but the Genos numbers on keys do fade and what people say, shiny spots of wear.
Not great for a £5000 keyboard. I do have a start forward slash that has disappeared and numbers on the registrations look thin now.
It really is nothing to worry about as we all know what is what.
It does remain to be seen whether anything is coming anytime soon and there is no smoke without a fire.
All the best
John
I do keep the Genos immaculate though.

All the Best
John :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2022, 01:10:59 PM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2022, 04:33:21 PM »
I doubt that Yamaha will respond with a new TOTL arranger just because Korg produce one. They will respond if they have something already in the works anyway and they already planned to release it soon.
It takes typically 2 - 4 years plus to move most technical products through idea to development to manufacturing and commercial launch, so they couldn't quickly react to a new Korg even if they wanted to.
I think people have this vision of  Yamaha being super large organization, that can just throw resources at things and produce a new product in months, but it seldom works like that. The resources will already be committed to planned future projects they consider just as important.
Mike