Author Topic: Registrations, banks and playlists  (Read 1581 times)

Offline Dov

Registrations, banks and playlists
« on: May 25, 2022, 02:09:27 PM »
I am trying to understand how I can create a gig playlist for about 40 songs.

I have stored these songs into the keyboard's internal user memory either under "expansion styles" (that I got from this forum - many thanks!) or under "registrations" (but it seeems to me they are really "registration banks") that I got from the Yamaha additional playlist for the SX, or under a specific preset style + voices (for example: koolshuffle + grand piano + sax, that I'm using when I play "Dance Monkey").

I have read the contributions to the forum as well as Casper's registration video, all of which helped me, but I still don't understand a few things:

1. I would like to transform the "koolshuffle" preset style + the piano and sax voices into a registration so it can be recalled with only hitting one key. How do I do this? I only need one registration for this song. Do I need to create a new bank first, even if it's just for one registration?

2. I need to transform the styles I got from this forum (e.g. "Georgia") into registrations, so they can be stored later into a playlist. How Do I transform these styles into registrations?

3. I don't understand if one registration bank is made of a maximum of 8 registrations for one song or if, in one bank, I can store 8 different songs (i.e. 1 registration for each song).

Your help will be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance,
Dov

Offline Fred Smith

Re: Registrations, banks and playlists
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 02:37:06 PM »
To address your points in reverse order:

3. My recommendation is to have one bank per song. It's much more flexible. Even if you use only one registration in the bank.

2. You "transform" a style (using your terminology) by creating a registration. Registrations store much more than styles, but you can use them only for styles if you want. So simply create a registration by memorizing your setup.

1. Same thing. Create the registration.

Create the registrations first. Then work on the playlist.

More information on registrations in my videos (link in signature).

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dov

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2022, 05:04:57 PM »
Many thanks, Fred, for your helpful answer.

I have one more question, if you don't mind. One of the registrations I already have includes an intro, but I want to suppress this intro and keep the rest of the registration. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Dov

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 06:26:39 PM »
Many thanks, Fred, for your helpful answer.

I have one more question, if you don't mind. One of the registrations I already have includes an intro, but I want to suppress this intro and keep the rest of the registration. How do I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Dov

Load your registration. Turn off the intro. Memorize the registration.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline Dov

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 07:58:38 AM »
Thank you, Fred. I've managed to understand how it all works out; it's actually very logical once you get the hang of it. The owner's manual was not too explicit but your advice was very helpful.