Author Topic: Yamaha Genos 2 61  (Read 19695 times)

Offline Patrick

Yamaha Genos 2 61
« on: May 19, 2022, 07:52:28 AM »
Hello, is this a fake news? New Genos 2 coming in 61 keys! All the best, Patrick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDexGrCJTkE

Offline ton37

Re: Yamaha Genos 2 61
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:31:38 AM »
That vid is real ... but rhe content with the genos-boxes are faked. If I remember well this shot was shown longtime ago in another vid. I guess that Yamaha would publish new developments as they usely do: with great marketing strategy 😏
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 11:43:03 AM »
Defiantly false. I don't think we will ever see a 61 note Genos.

Offline sunny

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 12:04:06 PM »
Defiantly false. I don't think we will ever see a 61 note Genos.

Hi Eileen,
          How can you say that we will not see Genos2 -61 note keyboard ? Now Yamaha is listening to the customers worldwide. Do not think that Genos keyboards are made for western countries only. World wide customers (Oriental, Indian,) looking for Genos-2 61 note keyboard. Our suggestions already considered in Genos like Joystick,oriental voices,styles etc.

Sunny

« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 12:06:48 PM by sunny »

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2022, 01:05:43 PM »
          How can you say that we will not see Genos2 -61 note keyboard ? Now Yamaha is listening to the customers worldwide. Do not think that Genos keyboards are made for western countries only. World wide customers (Oriental, Indian,) looking for Genos-2 61 note keyboard. Our suggestions already considered in Genos like Joystick,oriental voices,styles etc.

It’s easy to say there will never be a 61-key Genos. Their lineup is set:
PSR is 61
Genos is 76
Clavinova is 88

There’s no reason for Yamaha to retool for anything different.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2022, 01:13:33 PM »
I agree with Fred.

If a more specialized "Genos 2" for the Asian type songs comes out, it won't be called "Genos." I think all Genos models have to stay with the 76 key versions because of the sophistication they have built into the keyboard itself. For example, having three Right hand and one Left Hand banks of keys available would be pointless or at least very limiting on a 61 key arranger. Those things alone, require a fair amount of real estate.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline sunny

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 01:22:03 PM »
I agree with Fred.

If a more specialized "Genos 2" for the Asian type songs comes out, it won't be called "Genos." I think all Genos models have to stay with the 76 key versions because of the sophistication they have built into the keyboard itself. For example, having three Right hand and one Left Hand banks of keys available would be pointless or at least very limiting on a 61 key arranger. Those things alone, require a fair amount of real estate.

"Genos" name is only the replacement of Tyros Line keyboards. We have already requested Yamaha to change name of the existing Tyros line series 2,3,4,5 by replacing with  new name. Yamaha consider our request. If Yamaha thinks to create anything, they will create, nothing is impossible for Yamaha.
       Hope Genos 2 is available in two versions 61 note and 76 versions.

Sunny
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 01:54:02 PM by sunny »

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 01:25:08 PM »
I suppose it's possible. Wasn't the early Tyros keyboards only available in 61 key versions? After a while they went to 61 and 76, then finished with 76 only?? I don't know if I have that right.
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Misu

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 03:02:45 PM »
If we look at the two top models on the market that came in both versions 61 and 76 (Tyros5 and PA4x) we see that,
except for the length, the case has the same structure and positioning of connections with the user and certainly the fixings of the inside elements.
No one makes a different architecture for the same keyboard model for the cost reasons.
Genos2 can only have versions of 61-76-88 if it is thought of from the beginning, for Genos1 I don't think it is possible anymore.
So IMO the case is everything. :)
Regards!
PSR SX-900; PA 1000; AKX 10

Offline EileenL

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 04:08:19 PM »
The Genos is only a couple of inches longer than Tyros 5 61 note so people who did not have space for the Tyros 5 76 note are well pleased with Genos as are most that I can't see Yamaha changing this. What is your objection to 76 notes.

Offline sunny

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 04:29:22 PM »
The Genos is only a couple of inches longer than Tyros 5 61 note so people who did not have space for the Tyros 5 76 note are well pleased with Genos as are most that I can't see Yamaha changing this. What is your objection to 76 notes.

Eileen,
  If Yamaha thinks to make it Genos very compact for live performers, they will do without problem like this compact keyboard(see the picture). Yamaha is looking for customers requirements world wide. If Yamaha release Genos2 both versions 61 note compact and 76 note to satisfy all, then what is your objection ?

Sunny

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 04:32:10 PM by sunny »

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 04:47:16 AM »
I passed on the Genos because of its size, not the price.  I opted for the SX900 because of 61 notes.  I gig a lot in some of the smallest, tightest spots imaginable.  I’d spring for a smaller Genos, if such ever appears.

Offline musicman01

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 07:09:36 AM »
Hi, isn't there too much talk about nonsensical things here?? Someone who wants 61 keys buys an SX600,700,900 what is the problem??? People who play with 2 hands and advanced chords need a minimum of 76 keys! Prefer even 88 keys. And the myth that Genos is too big on stage or to transport is just something to whine about!!
What always makes me laugh is that people buy an expensive arranger keyboard to play midi files and mp3! Indeed, then 61 keys is still too much.

Offline Robert van Weersch

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 07:55:01 AM »
I've gigged a lot with my previous bands too (not anymore since the pandemic, though), but I've never been in a venue where I wasn't able to find a spot for my T5-76. And for me, 76 keys is a must because I often also play the bass part in bands and split my keyboard up in three sections, and then 61 keys is often just not enough. I admid, when using the machine as an arranger, 61 keys will do most of the time.

For me though, the major disadvantage of T5-76 is the weight. The Genos is 3 kilos lighter, which is significant! I can imagine that some people would love a 61 key version, but I think an SX900 will cover almost 90% of the functionality of a Genos (not considering the keybed).
---
Yamaha Tyros 5 76
Korg Liverpool (microArranger)

Offline sunny

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 10:30:14 AM »
Hi,
 Some people talk too much, they think that Genos is made for them only. How selfish they are !
  unfortunately Yamaha could not release Genos 61 note version due to hurry. But we are sure that Genos 2 61 note will be released and it will be a substitute for Tyros 5 61 note keyboard. All the players who purchased PSR SX900 because of having 61 note keyboard will come back and purchase Genos 2 61 as soon as it is released.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:35:05 AM by sunny »

Offline EileenL

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 12:03:17 PM »
If you think we are all selfish because we have adapted to a 76 note keyboard then that is sad. I had always been used to a 61 note keyboard but wanted all Genos had to offer so changed to 76 note board. Those extra keys are very useful when using three way split points amongst other things. I have gigged with my Genos with no problem at all. Nice also to have the extra notes when playing AI chords.
  I also have the SX900 because it is handy for playing in senior homes that only have a small room to play in but at home I always play Genos because it is a great keyboard with all of its 76 keys.

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 12:29:21 PM »
The only difference in dimensions of the current Genos vs. PSR-X9000 is, the Genos is 8 inches longer and about 3 pounds heavier. For 99.99% of gigs or other uses, there's no advantage to the 61 key version. The 8 inch difference accounts for the extra octave, which people often prefer - even some Eastern players, I would wager.

Just as most Genos players are home players and very few use the Genos on stage, I would like to know how many Eastern players require a 61 key version vs. not caring if the Genos 2 was 61 or 76 keys. Has a real survey actually been done?

On the other hand, the one advantage the PSR-X9000 has over the Genos is its onboard speakers. For a quick practice where sound quality and balance is not terribly important, you can just turn the PSRX-9000 on anywhere there's a wall plug, and go through a few songs.

There are advantages to each keyboard. However, if Genos 2 is only offered in a 76 key version, there's no reason to knock Yamaha for not offering a 61 key version. The advantages are basically non-existent. Perhaps the Eastern players who, according to Sunny, only want 61 keys, may find 76 keys advantageous in some cases or they may not even care - so long as they can get their hands on the Genos sound for their enjoyment.

If the 76 key version was significantly longer and heavier, then I could see the advantage in having a 61 key version - but that's not the case (no pun intended ::))!

Offline Fred Smith

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »
  If Yamaha thinks to make it Genos very compact for live performers, they will do without problem like this compact keyboard(see the picture). Yamaha is looking for customers requirements world wide. If Yamaha release Genos2 both versions 61 note compact and 76 note to satisfy all, then what is your objection ?

I have no objection to a 61-key Genos. Yamaha can do what they want. I was perfectly happy with a 61-key Tyros for years, and I'd be just as happy with a 61-key Genos, as I seldom use the extra keys. But it ain't going to be. I just hate to see you waste all this time for something that's never going to happen. If you want 61 keys, buy a PSR.

Cheers,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 01:55:56 PM »
I too used a 61 key PSR for live performances for years. When they released the Tyros in 76 keys, I was delighted. I often need the extra octave.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 02:56:59 PM »
Hi Sunny,

Yamaha could not release Genos 61 note version due to hurry.

Do you know this for a fact, like you heard this from Yamaha? Or is this an assumption, a guess?

My assumption is that the Genos being only available in one version with 76 keys is to reduce costs. And therefore, price.

But we are sure that Genos 2 61 note will be released

Again, with all respect, did you hear this from the development team at Yamaha, or is this your hope and wish?

My expectation is that the Genos2 will again only be available with 76 keys. For cost reduction. It is expensive to make the molds to make the (upper and lower) halves of a keyboard. It only makes economical sense if a vendor can sell many keyboards.

I don't know the sales volumes of Tyros and Genos, but I guess the TOTL keyboards market is relative small. Case in point: Roland left the professional arranger market, and Korg still haven't come up with a successor to the PA4x. Both are still active in the MOTL markets, however, where sales volumes are higher.

So I believe it's a decision mostly based on economic grounds. I believe Yamaha is more than willing to accommodate as many customers as possible. Look at the Montage series, where you have models with different number of keys. The sale figures for Montage are higher than for Genos.

I am so very happy that we still have a top-of-the-line keyboard on this planet!

Maarten

Offline RoyB

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 04:04:34 PM »
Maarten

Korg offered the PA4X with 2 keyboard options, so presumably they felt it was economically worthwhile for them. There are quite a lot of pictures and (leaked) info circulating now about the forthcoming Korg PA5X which appear to be credible. Korg must like the keyboard options approach because, if the leaked information is correct, then Korg is going to be offering the Korg PA5X with THREE keyboard options, including an 88-note hammer action keyboard, all with aftertouch.

I suspect Yamaha's decision to only produce the Genos with 76 keys was purely a marketing policy choice, perhaps based on what they learned from Tyros 5 sales (they certainly know what they are doing when it comes to marketing) - nobody outside Yamaha knows whether that will still be the decision for a new Genos.

Roy

Tyros 5-76; Roland FA08; Yammex V3; Behringer Q502USB; Arturia BeatStep; Alesis Elevate 3 MkIII;  Yamaha YST-FSW050; Sony MDR 7510; MultiTrackStudio Pro + AAMS.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQu3I6XidcZWOmsl_FM49_Q/videos

Offline mikf

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 04:55:21 PM »
 The percentage of people buying a Genos for gig work compared to home use is relatively small. The percentage of those those that absolutely need the more compact keyboard for gig work is again a relatively small percentage. ie its a very small percentage of a small percentage. Dancing on the head of a pin.
 I imagine this is why Yamaha standardized on 76 keys, its just not cost effective to have both. 
Nobody knows what Yamaha  might do in the future, maybe not even Yamaha! But the odds are stacked against a 61 key Genos anytime soon, for good reason.
In fact the choice of 61 note keyboards was probably originally driven by cost and weight, but that seems to have been solved, because Genos is not very heavy. Maybe we are more likely to see 76 note keyboards in the lower cost models than a 61 key Genos 
Mike   .

Offline Toril S

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 08:02:57 PM »
Until I got my Genos I always had keyboards with 61 keys. But I have really come to appreciate the extra keys!
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2022, 04:02:23 PM »
Dear friends,

about future arrangers, Korg is starting to sell the new Pa5x. It will be available in 3 sizes: 61, 76 and 88 keys.

If you are interested to know more about it, below pls find the link to an Italian store, showing also prices. Sorry that it is in Italian, but one may easy translate trough Google.

https://casamusicalefabio.it/prodotto/korg-pa5x-keyboard/

I personally am enthusiastic about my Genos 76 keys, not missing at all my previous 61 keys arrangers. Genos is a real jewel in all senses.

Ciao,

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2022, 07:57:39 PM »
Hi Angelo,

I would be suspect about that PA5x... don't forget they've had youtube videos annoucing "coming soon" since 2018 (the PA4x came out in 2015, everyone assumed they'd launch Pa5x right after Genos). Not that it's not coming soon..  it's been 7 years, it probably *is* about time.

But a 61key Pa5x likely wouldn't make sense; the PA1000 *is* the 61 key version of the PA4x, and the PA900 was the 61 key of the PA3x (same sound library & chipsets, but different flash ram and physical shell); so I'd guess that when the PA5x finally arrives, they'll do the same (PA1100 would be the 61 key version).

An 88 key version of a PA5x would be intriguing though, as they offer no such 88 key equivalent (they do make an 88 key version of the PA300 though).
As Yamaha already has an 88 key instrument using the same sound engine as the Genos (the CVP809, albeit with a fantastic Bosendorfer in place of the C7, and no sample flash ram, and only 2 sound layers versus 3), it's inlikely Yamaha would ever do an 88 key portable version of a Tyros/Genos.

As for why the 76? All previous Tyros were 61 (the last time they offered the choice was the PSR9000, way back in 2000), and then they went with 61 key exclusively for a decade... at which point? the 76 key outsold the 61 key (at least here, anyway) about 3 or 4 to 1. They've been paring down options over the last decade (only 3 CVP models vs 5 for the previous generations, and in fact the current series only offers 2). It costs more to offer different versions, and for roughly the same amount of sales.

I'm not saying they won't ever offer 61 key flagship again, just that it's been more efficient for them not to. For now.  Don't forget, by the time the next G2 launches? The PSRsx910 (or whatever they call it) will be for all intents and purposes a 61key Genos, just like the PSRsx900 is essentially a T5 (without the S.A2 sounds).

Mark

*May 28th correction: Turns out the C7 *is* in the CVP809! As a hidden voice. Those sneaky Yamaha engineers!

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2022, 09:23:48 PM »
By the way, our lovely Genos is getting more and more precious!

Here is the link to the top music store in Italy: the price is €.5039,00 (!!!!!!!) and is presently not available (neither they say WHEN will be available).

https://www.strumentimusicali.net/product_info.php/products_id/66128/yamaha-genos-digital-workstation.html?keywords=genos

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2022, 10:20:49 PM »
Holy socks, Anglo. That's about $7,700 CND after tax!!!!!!!!!! I think I'll hang onto my Genos like grim death itself ;D.

Edit If memory serves, when the Genos first arrived in Ontario, it listed at $5,499.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 03:12:04 AM by Lee Batchelor »

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

Offline soryt

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2022, 11:55:49 PM »
That’s 800 more than  usual  :o in Holland
Genos & YC61 and Tannoy Gold 5 Monitors
My You Tube Channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmC6hdAR1v5lYN8twfn0YbA?view_as=subscriber

The following users thanked this post: MadrasGiaguari

tyrosman

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2022, 07:52:35 AM »
Total Fake News

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2022, 10:51:10 PM »
If a Genos 2 ever appears, maybe under a different name, obviously, the price will be more than the current model.  If it shows in the 6-8k price range, I may give it a pass.  The SX 900 if fine with me at the moment.  However,  a much improved SX 900 at about half the current Genos price would be tempting.

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2022, 04:39:42 PM »
T5 is when they introduced a 76 key, previous ones were only 61 key. I guess with less buttons now that Yamaha is going all in on the touchscreen (a bad idea imo) they could attempt a 61 key version. I would agree that if you wanted an 88 key version, might well get a clavinova CVP instead lol.

keynote

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2022, 01:17:53 AM »
I guess you guys have noticed the Korg Pa4x has been discontinued. You can't find the Pa4x at online music stores such as Guitar Center, Sweetwater, etc. I found one at an unlikely online establishment but they were asking $7,000. Could have been a scam perhaps. I think the rumors and now pics of the Pa5x are real. There are a few videos on YouTube that are live shots and pretty convincing. It seems Romania has one or two in stock currently but might not be able to sell them yet until Korg's official announcement which could take place at NAMM 2022 at the Anaheim, CA., Convention Center on June 3-5. In other words, in just a few days from now. 8) We already know the new products Yamaha is releasing at NAMM since they've already listed them on their website. Unfortunately, there's no Genos 2 listed. I think Yamaha is deliberately waiting until Korg launches the Pa5x so they can see what the Korg offers and then work diligently on the forthcoming Genos 2 (or whatever they decide to call it) to perhaps implement new features and new sounds (voices) so that when the Genos 2 is released (probably in 2023/2024) it will once again blow the Korg out of the water.  ;D   

keynote

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2022, 04:41:03 PM »
I know this is a Yamaha-focused keyboards forum but competition is always a good thing. Here is a video of the "real" Korg Pa5X, supposedly. It looks authentic to me. Remember, the Pa4X has been discontinued after a lengthy run beginning in 2015. I think it's reasonable to assume we would see a new flagship arranger from Korg in 2022. If Yamaha waits 7 years to release a successor to the Genos, Yamaha devotees would be up in arms, but I wouldn't really be surprised due to the global circumstances such as the supply chain crisis, global chip shortage, inflation, and other economic oddities that have upended manufacturers ability to provide customers with new products on a more timely basis. Anywho, here's the video. PS: Updated link. The previous video experienced an audio anomaly.

The Real Video of the Korg Pa5X

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2022, 08:36:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that, Keynote. I doubt that Korg produced that video. It's very amateurish, using one rhythm for the entire video. If it is authentic, it looks like someone recorded a teaser clip from Korg on their cell phone. Who knows?

So far, I don't see any great advantage over the current Genos. I suspect Genos 2 would blow that machine away. Can't wait to find out ;D!

Offline Joe H

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2022, 04:40:54 AM »
Eileen,

Sunny

Maybe the next PSR xxx will look like that (including the faders and knobs)

;)

Joe H
Music is the Universal Language!

My Article: Using Multi Pads in registrations. Download Regs, Styles & MPs:  http://psrtutorial.com/music/articles/dancemusic.html

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »
Hi
When do you all think a new genos will arrive.
It seems there is no signals from Yamaha.
It is weird that it has been this long before announcing a new Genos
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2022, 04:05:23 PM »
Hi
When do you all think a new genos will arrive.
It seems there is no signals from Yamaha.
It is weird that it has been this long before announcing a new Genos
Actually John, I think Yamaha has a history of releasing their new machines at the last minute. They may leak out small tidbits to key people, who then propagate that info to the masses. I also suspect Genos 2 will be late to the table due to Covid-related delays.

Offline pjd

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2022, 01:06:08 AM »
Anyway, the arrival of the PA5X will move something into Yamaha headquarter, I'm sure.

Francesco

Ya got that right!!!  :)  :)

-- pj

Offline mikf

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2022, 09:46:52 AM »
My (very personal!) point of view is: how much do we really need a Genos 2 and how much can be improved on the current one?
Before proceeding to create a new model, it would be interesting to know whether the current one has really been pushed to its limits.
Anyway, the arrival of the PA5X will move something into Yamaha headquarter, I'm sure.

Francesco
I don’t think people upgrading from the most recent model to the latest model is a significant sales driver. So Yamaha would not be thinking we have to have a Genos 2 with new features to tempt all the current Genos owners into upgrading. The main market for any new model is to remain competitive with alternatives and  capture the new sales, ie buyers upgrading much older models, buyers moving from lower spec models, or moving from other brands, and of course buyers completely new to the arrranger market. This will be their focus. It’s also my understanding that they are having problems meeting existing demand for the Genos due to parts shortages etc. And they already have many relatively new products at lower costs like the DGX to offer …….so maybe little reason to hurry up a new TOTL model.
Mike

Offline mikf

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2022, 10:59:12 AM »

I'm not saying they won't ever offer 61 key flagship again, just that it's been more efficient for them not to. For now.  Don't forget, by the time the next G2 launches? The PSRsx910 (or whatever they call it) will be for all intents and purposes a 61key Genos, just like the PSRsx900 is essentially a T5 (without the S.A2 sounds).

Mark

Mark, you are in the retail musical instrument business, so ………let’s imagine 100 arranger buyers come to your store, and you say this is the new Genos 2, wonderful keyboard, it has 61 keys, and costs $4000. So they say, great, but what’s that keyboard sitting next to it? Oh, that’s the same Genos 2 but it has 76 keys. How much does that cost they ask? Well it doesn’t really cost much different to make so it is $4000 as well you reply.
 SO HOW MANY WOULD BUY THE 61 KEY VERSION???
I say one …. or less. Which is why Yamaha would never put you in such a stupid position.

So the next question is realistically how much cheaper would it have to be before a reasonable number say, well, actually I don’t really need 76 keys, so I’ll take the small one?
My guess is that it would be at least $500, but realistically maybe closer to $1000 less to move more than a small number of buyers.
So that then would be about the price range of an SX900!!!
Mike
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 11:15:10 AM by mikf »

keynote

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2022, 02:45:38 PM »
Here's another video of the new Korg Pa5X. You'll need to watch till the end to get a glimpse of it. It's in the process of powering up but it's in a keyboard case so that makes me think it might also run on batteries but time will tell. PS: I linked to the YouTube vid in case some people are hesitant to open a Box.com link without knowing the contents. Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoUberqDHo

Offline EileenL

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2022, 02:51:18 PM »
What a terrible Advertisement to put out.

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
Agreed, Eileen. There's no way in the world Korg would introduce a flagship arranger in such an unprofessional manner. It just goes to show you that any idiot can create and post stuff on the internet.

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2022, 04:31:06 PM »
I remember someone posted a photo of the PSR SX900 here before it was released.

Offline sunny

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2022, 06:57:46 PM »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2022, 07:57:50 PM »
Mark, you are in the retail musical instrument business, so ………let’s imagine 100 arranger buyers come to your store, and you say this is the new Genos 2, wonderful keyboard, it has 61 keys, and costs $4000. So they say, great, but what’s that keyboard sitting next to it? Oh, that’s the same Genos 2 but it has 76 keys. How much does that cost they ask? Well it doesn’t really cost much different to make so it is $4000 as well you reply.
 SO HOW MANY WOULD BUY THE 61 KEY VERSION???
I say one …. or less. Which is why Yamaha would never put you in such a stupid position.

So the next question is realistically how much cheaper would it have to be before a reasonable number say, well, actually I don’t really need 76 keys, so I’ll take the small one?
My guess is that it would be at least $500, but realistically maybe closer to $1000 less to move more than a small number of buyers.
So that then would be about the price range of an SX900!!!
Mike

Yup, that's why I said it's more efficient (only 1 casing to manufacture & provide warranty support for). Like I said, when the Tyros 5 launched, and we were guessing numbers, I thought maybe 75% 76 key and 25% 61 key is what we would sell, but it ended up being even higher (>80%, if I recall). Which probably Yamaha found to be the case globally.

Even more telling, every time we get a used 76 key in, it's gone within weeks, whereas the 61's can easily take over a year to sell. Similarly, we sold 0 Pa4x61 after the initial preorder (basically since the PA1000 came out).

However the math isn't quite right; $1000 off a Genos doesn't make it PSRsx900 price range; more like 50%. The price diff would probably be similar the T561 vs T576 (which were separated by about $500) and you're right, most people won't bother with the 61 for that saving.

By the way, the Montage 88 vs the Montage 61 are $1100 difference in price; and *still* 80% of all our Montage sales are the 88.

Mark

Offline mikf

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »
Thanks Mark. This is why people saying “ lots of people want a 61 note Genos “ are ignoring reality and being misleading. When people say I would like a 61 note Genos, what they really mean is “I would like a much cheaper 61 note Genos.”  Because as you have seen firsthand, pretty much no-one would pay the same - or even close to the same - for a smaller but otherwise identical keyboard.
Mike
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 09:45:03 PM by mikf »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2022, 10:53:16 PM »
Dear friends,

about future arrangers, Korg is starting to sell the new Pa5x. It will be available in 3 sizes: 61, 76 and 88 keys.

If you are interested to know more about it, below pls find the link to an Italian store, showing also prices. Sorry that it is in Italian, but one may easy translate trough Google.

https://casamusicalefabio.it/prodotto/korg-pa5x-keyboard/

I personally am enthusiastic about my Genos 76 keys, not missing at all my previous 61 keys arrangers. Genos is a real jewel in all senses.

Ciao,

Angelo

By the way, Angelo, the link you posted? they've now deleted Pa5x; it now brings up a Genos again.

Either way, we'll find out tomorrow at NAMM

Offline ton37

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2022, 06:55:50 AM »
Thanks Mark. This is why people saying “ lots of people want a 61 note Genos “ are ignoring reality and being misleading. When people say I would like a 61 note Genos, what they really mean is “I would like a much cheaper 61 note Genos.”  Because as you have seen firsthand, pretty much no-one would pay the same - or even close to the same - for a smaller but otherwise identical keyboard.
Mike
Hi Mike, I disagree with your statement. You're basically saying, 'People say it's raining outside.. but they don't mean it's raining, but they'd rather see the sun shining..??'
Let me take myself as an example: if only a 76 key Genos2 appears, then I skip it and wait for the new SX-? range? If a 61 Genos2 comes on the market... it's for me ;-)) . I traded the T5-76 and Genos for an SX for a reason (my reason!). And that had nothing to do with money. And I expect that there are 'enough' who would also like a 61-er G2??
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Duffy

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2022, 08:17:05 AM »
I agree with Ton.
I honestly can't see why everyone beats themselves up about 61 or 76 keys.
Some would like to buy a 61 Genos and, for them I hope Yamaha make one.
Others prefer the 76 Genos and that's fine too but, why should they make a big deal about Yamaha bringing back the 61 if they are happy with the 76.
Irrespective of the number of keys, I would like to see the Genos being made shorter i.e. less wasted space at both ends of the keyboard, in the same way as Ketron and Korg manage to do.
My feeling is that the Genos is too long but, otherwise offers most of what I want so I have to go with it.
At the end of the day, we have to buy what Yamaha produce (or go without) so, why analyse everyone's heads whilst we wait.
To add another view, If they were to shorten the Genos, I would also be happy enough with 73 keys (and shorten it further).
It would be nice if we could all have our personal wishes fulfilled but, in the real world, we must settle for what is offered.