Author Topic: Yamaha Genos 2 61  (Read 20102 times)

Offline mikf

Re: Yamaha Genos 2 61
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2022, 09:02:10 AM »
Ton
Your analogy is way off the mark.
You and a few others may be exceptions, but my point, and Mark’s real life experience is that there are just not enough people like you who would buy a smaller but otherwise identical keyboard at the same price, or even close to the same price, to make it worth offering.

Duffy, we are not beating ourselves up, or making a big deal about whether Yamaha might or might not make a 61 note keyboard. Frankly it will make no difference to most of us whether they do or not. But there is a discussion here and some of us participating are saying what they would like to see, and others are pointing out reasons why it’s not likely to happen. That’s not unreasonable.
Didn’t you just do the same with your post?
Mike

Offline Duffy

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2022, 09:53:46 AM »
I have merely stated my view regarding the next Genos and I don't pretend to know better than others, who would buy, 61 or 76 keys.
Having stated my personal view, I  now leave it and not keep repeating it.
None of us know what's happening at Yamaha and I only know what I want and have no insight into the rest of the keyboard players fraternity.
I just hope everyone is happy with the new Genos when it appears.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
The SX range is very good but it can never be a Genos in things like quality of key bed and all the other extra's it has.
  I do not see why you would not want a 76 note if you had the chance. In all honesty
it is not much longer than Tyros 5 61 note. The extra notes make it much easier to set up a three way split for right hand voices as well as other things.

Offline maartenb

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2022, 03:25:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWb45Ggvkcs

I've looked carefully at this picture of the cardboard box. The letters "Genos 2-61" don't seem to fit the rest of the picture. The Yamaha box itself seems real and probably contains something else.

My conclusion is that the picture has been edited and therefore is fake.

Maarten
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 04:20:01 PM by maartenb »

Offline maartenb

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2022, 03:46:02 PM »
I know I am going off-topic with this.

Hi Keynote,

I've found another 19 seconds video of the Korg Pa5X on YouTube, and after careful examination, I have to conclude that the video and Pa5X are real.

Cool to see that Korg have implemented the same small black-and-white OLED display near the faders as Yamaha did with the Genos. Except Korg placed it below the faders instead of above.

My guess is that it is either a pre-production model or one of the first production models. Comparable to the first leaked pictures of the SX900.

This means the Pa5X is currently being tested in the field, and not for sale yet. But it is coming...

Maarten
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 03:49:44 PM by maartenb »

Offline mikf

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2022, 04:18:20 PM »
I think you are right Maarten, there is just too much smoke now for there to be no fire coming. And when it arrives I am sure it will have some neat features, but it won’t be revolutionary. Arranger technology development is now so advanced it’s hard to get step change.
And there’s a lot of brand loyalty in the arranger market. Not blind loyalty, but there is just such a learning curve when changing that most people won’t jump brands for just a few neat features.
 But one thing I feel certain about ….. even if Korg decide to offer both 61 and 76 versions, it will be the larger that will dominate sales, because market experience clearly demonstrates that most TOTL keyboard buyers prefer more keys than less, providing it doesn’t make the keyboard too unwieldy or the price too high.
Mike

Offline ton37

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2022, 04:49:14 PM »
And if it is a real, not faked, vid... I like the 'drum'-pads at the right above a lot. And of course one photo of a Genos box  ::) Oh, maybe it it a prototype of a box  ;D
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2022, 05:46:22 PM »
I think we have to wait to see the new keyboard:

https://youtu.be/gDiDUF0kNQw

Offline sunny

« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2022, 05:51:06 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWb45Ggvkcs

Finally my dream comes true what I am dream of because Yamaha Genos 2 with 61 keys.

Sunny
« Last Edit: June 03, 2022, 06:01:06 PM by sunny »

Offline mikf

« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2022, 06:22:45 PM »
It’s the Korg that we thought might be real - not the Genos.
M8ke

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2022, 07:11:43 PM »
Mike: yes, real world retail experience shows that 76 is more desirable than 61 when the price is around the same; but I didn't say 100% of customers purchased T5-76; it was over 80%.
Ton37: that means, they *could* make a 61, but it's more economically feasible to make just 1 version (twice the costs of molding, packaging, etc). That doesn't mean they *won't* make a 61 key version again. Just that at the moment it's more economically viable not to.

Having said that? No point arguing about it for now: NAMM 2022 starts today! And if Korg/Yamaha/Roland are going to unveil new keyboards, it'll be this weekend (and if they do, that usually means they won't be available for sale for a few months yet, but at least we'll know what's coming)

Mark

Offline J. Larry

« Reply #61 on: June 03, 2022, 11:02:33 PM »
My decision-making on 61 notes is very similar to “ton37”.  The SX 900 is a perfect fit for the moment.  Rather than a 61-note Genos, I’d vote for a “SX Plus” if such is possible. 

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline mikf

« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2022, 12:14:34 AM »
Just watched a fairly video of the Yamaha facility at NAMM. Reminds us just how massive they are in musical instruments because arrangers were a relatively small part of the display. Did not look like there's a Genos2 or any new TOTL arranger, because they still seemed to feature the existing Genos as the flagship arranger. Certainly no 61 note Genos.
Mike

Offline maartenb

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2022, 07:45:51 PM »
I think we have to wait to see the new keyboard:

https://youtu.be/gDiDUF0kNQw

Great catch!

At the above YouTube link you will find a placeholder by the Sud Claviers people for a live demo on June 30th, 2022 at 18:00 (6:00pm) Central European Time (CET).

The title is (translated from French by deepl.com/translator):
  • "New keyboard arranger - Full presentation"

The video image itself says:
  • "Preview - New keyboard arranger"

Below the to-be live stream it says:
  • "We invite you to discover the long-awaited preview on June 30th.
    A new generation of super-powerful keyboard arranger with new functions and limitless possibilities.
    This live presentation will allow you to discover the instrument in detail, we hope to see you there."

Although Sud Claviers don't tell what brand and keyboard model they will show, I truly believe this will be the new Korg Pa5X. And based on Sud Claviers' track record, this demo will be great.

Maarten
« Last Edit: June 06, 2022, 03:07:22 PM by maartenb »

The following users thanked this post: hans1966, rodrigo.b

Offline Dnj

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2022, 01:09:18 PM »
Great news finally and hopefully something to look forward to ....
when will Pre ordering start is what I want to know ?

Thank you for the information.

Offline mikf

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2022, 09:30:57 PM »
Dnj - do you understand this demo date is for the Korg arranger not a Yamaha? As far as I am aware there is no indication at all of a new TOTL Yamaha arranger on the horizon.
Mike
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 07:21:39 AM by mikf »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2022, 09:35:24 PM »
Mike, I think you meant Dnj, not Paul ;)

But yeah, nothing at NAMM except PSRe473, new YDP. Which means nothing imminent, anyway.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2022, 10:45:56 PM »
Here is another playful thought, friends: If you open the Genos, there is much empty space inside it. So in Genos 2, put in some speakers, make it 61 notes and we have a Genos/SX900 in one. Or give the SX900 S.art functions. Merge the two, and get rid of one production line :)
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

Offline mikf

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2022, 07:25:27 AM »
Mike, I think you meant Dnj, not Paul ;)

But yeah, nothing at NAMM except PSRe473, new YDP. Which means nothing imminent, anyway.
Yes, you are right, that darn spell checker kept messing me up when I tried to write “dnj” until I forgot what I was doing 8)
Mike

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2022, 09:38:48 AM »
Here is another playful thought, friends: If you open the Genos, there is much empty space inside it. So in Genos 2, put in some speakers, make it 61 notes and we have a Genos/SX900 in one. Or give the SX900 S.art functions. Merge the two, and get rid of one production line :)

Hi Toril
Hope you are happy and well.
If there is going to be a new Genos, putting speakers on it would cheapen it in my view.
We need more sample space/memory and better editing.
Genos speakers on keyboards are pretty tinny sounding as with the Genos Satallites and boom box.
With a £5000 keyboard arranger it deserves quality speakers.

All the Best
John

Ps,   If Korg have something to shout about at the end of the month, i would take a bet that Yamaha are not far behind.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 09:40:38 AM by ugawoga »
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline mikf

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2022, 04:56:35 PM »
You can always put in high quality speakers, they do that in the top line CVPs, which sound great..But then it gets heavy for a portable instrument, maybe why they never put them in the original Tyros.
I think the main reason why Toril’s ideas would not work, is that Yamaha need some performance differentiation to keep pricing strategy right. A big attraction of the SX series is the much lower price point.
Mike

Offline Dnj

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2022, 05:08:01 PM »
Dnj - do you understand this demo date is for the Korg arranger not a Yamaha? As far as I am aware there is no indication at all of a new TOTL Yamaha arranger on the horizon.
Mike

I am very well aware and sitting back waiting for anything arranger kb wise to come to market.
All else is rumor or fake news at this point. we'll see when it happens. 8)

The following users thanked this post: hans1966

Offline pjd

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2022, 06:11:00 PM »

Hi Toril --

Hope you're doing well!

Yep, Genos has a fair amount of air (space) inside. Looking at the Genos by my side, there isn't enough front panel space for top-firing speakers. By the looks of it, I don't think there would be an easy path to 61 keys, either, unless the buttons and/or screen are shrunk, too.

I plan to keep Genos v1 for a long time to come. More than good enough for what I do!  :)  What I really need is playing skill in a box. Haven't seen that at the store...  :D

All the best -- pj

The following users thanked this post: StuartR

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2022, 02:07:34 PM »
The big reasons for not seeing a Genos 2/3 maybe because of the microchip shortages and what is going on all over the place with costly written on it. :)
Genos, I7 computer 32 gig ram, Focusrite 6i6, Cubase controller, Focal Alpha Monitors, Yamaha DXR8 Speakers
Cubase 10, Sonarworks, Izotope.  Sampletank, Arturia and Korg software.  Now IK Mixbox

Offline pjd

« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2022, 05:50:47 PM »
The big reasons for not seeing a Genos 2/3 maybe because of the microchip shortages and what is going on all over the place with costly written on it. :)

Ya got that right, mate!  :)  We're still feeling the effects of the pandemic slowdown and the fires that affected IC production. Asahi Kasei Microdevices (AKM), who make the DACs/ADCs in Yamaha keyboards, has been pretty quiet/secretive about the factory and future production:

https://www.strata-gee.com/akm-fire-update-co-makes-progress-interim-solution-shows-promise/

Given that NAMM 2022 saw fewer product announcements, I'm not expecting much of anything new in the near future. I'm content to play and experiment.  :D

All the best -- pj

Offline maartenb

« Reply #75 on: June 08, 2022, 05:51:27 PM »
Wow.

All links collected in this thread that point to leaked footage of the Korg Pa5X, are no longer working (except one).

This confirms the reality of the new arranger, in my humble opinion.

June 30th we'll know for sure.

Maarten

Offline Gunnar Jonny

« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2022, 08:13:04 PM »
All links collected in this thread that point to leaked footage of the Korg Pa5X, are no longer working (except one).

This one still works, and there should not be any more doubt about that the PAX5 is on the way when look at those pictures.
Too good shots to be fake.
Just scroll downwards the page.
http://vsti.pl/instrumenty-klawiszowe/21007-korg-pa5x-newsy,-wskaz%C3%B3wki,-zdj%C4%99cia,-informacje.html?start=112#25707

Also this one is still working: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FcGfCm_RWTk

Copied the links from posts at Korg Forum.

Yes I know, this is a Yamaha place, but if Korg carry on develop and produce new TOTL arrangers, I think we may expect that Yamaha will pick up the glove to continue the competition. At least I hope so, because if the arranger market disappear like we could see the homeorgans did, it would be sad.
Cheers 🥂
GJ

The following users thanked this post: rodrigo.b

Offline mikf

« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2022, 10:19:06 PM »
Home organs really didn’t disappear, they are still around, but the emergence of an overall similar, more versatile  and cheaper keyboard. - the arranger - became the majority first choice. I think we are already seeing the TOTL arranger being put under pressure by keyboards almost as good at much lower prices. It might be that Yamaha is not too bothered by competition at the $4000 level from a new TOTL Korg. My guess is that they are more concerned about maintaining leadership of the market at the sub $2000 level, where I suspect most money is made. The Genos acts a bit like the Mercedes S class, not too many people will spend the money on it, but it maintains that brand leadership aura that lets Mercedes sell many, many more lower end models at a premium.
Mike

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2022, 11:33:41 PM »
This one still works, and there should not be any more doubt about that the PAX5 is on the way when look at those pictures.
Too good shots to be fake.
Just scroll downwards the page.
http://vsti.pl/instrumenty-klawiszowe/21007-korg-pa5x-newsy,-wskaz%C3%B3wki,-zdj%C4%99cia,-informacje.html?start=112#25707

Also this one is still working: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/FcGfCm_RWTk

You're right, that *doesn't* look like a mockup. Guess we'll know June 30th! (which will then eventually force Yamaha to respond)

Offline Bill

« Reply #79 on: June 10, 2022, 10:48:42 AM »
Maybe Korg visit the wish list posts on this site more than Yamaha do.

We might just end up with a good universally accepted arranger.

It might sound as though is not possible, but with a shrinking arranger market the only way to increase sales is to poach some loyal customers from competitors.  So we should be flooding the Korg sites with our wish lists and hope Yamaha monitor the Korg forums.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:16:41 PM by Bill »
England

Current KB:  YAMAHA GENOS 2

Offline mixermixer

« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2022, 01:35:35 PM »
Yes I know, this is a Yamaha place, but if Korg carry on develop and produce new TOTL arrangers, I think we may expect that Yamaha will pick up the glove to continue the competition. At least I hope so, because if the arranger market disappear like we could see the homeorgans did, it would be sad.

The arranger market isn't going away anytime soon. IMO particularly, the southeast Asia/overseas Asia demographic is keeping it alive. I've seen many own Tyros and PSR S models that are still in use today. They would still probably buy Yamaha given if they are to upgrade or replace a broken model because almost all of them use custom styles programmed for Yamaha keyboards. I would know because I'm one of them lol  :P

« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2022, 01:46:41 PM »
Dear Mark,

last year in November I was in Naples (Italy) and had a nice tour of music shops, all concentrated in one road.

While I was in one of the shops (Miletti) incidentally I met two managers from Korg, doing a tour to visit their clients. We had a nice conversation, and at one point it came out that I used to have Korg flagships for about 20 years, but lately I turned to Yamaha with CVP Clavinova and Genos.
So he told me that in 2022 the new Korg flagship will be available, he did not know exactly when. It will be totally different compared with Pa4X, and much more powerful than Genos. He added that it will be available in various sizes, including for sure 61 and 76 keys.

We'll see.....

Ciao

Angelo
Yamaha Genos, Clavinova Cvp309PE, Hs-8, Hammond Xm2.
Past: Farfisa Minicompact, CompactDeLuxe; Elkarapsody; Hammond L122R&Leslie142; CasioCz1000; Roland D50, E20, ProE, Juno106, JX8P, Ra90; Technics Kn800, 1000, 2000; Korg M1, i3, i30, Pa1x, Pa3x; others.

« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2022, 02:21:58 PM »
I will buy the best arranger for my music style. I don't care if it's made by Yamaha, Korg, or Santa Claus. It should be interesting to see if Korg has implemented most of the "wish list" items from the various Yamaha sites.

On the other hand, Yamaha may shock the Korg world in six months after they put the icing on Genos 2 and blow the PA5X out of the water. Either way, my wife is not anxious for me to put out more money on another piece of gear after parting with $3,000 for new speakers :D!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline Ingar

« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2022, 08:52:33 PM »
I don't believe it will be. And I Wonder, will there ever be a New Genos?

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2022, 10:45:24 PM »
Lee, I doubt it will be 6 months, but maybe not as long as last time: PA4x launched in 2015 (May in Canada), the Genos followed 2.5 years later (in Canada, anyway... Dec 2017)

But I think it all depends on how much of a dent Korg makes first ;) so if the presumed Pa5x make a major dent in the arranger market, then you're right, it'll definitely be quicker than 2.5 years!

Mark

« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2022, 02:10:52 AM »
Good point, Mark. It seems we all go through this speculation curve after owning the arranger "de jour" for a few years, and then wait to see what tricks Yamaha has up its sleeve. So far, they've never disappointed!
"Learn" your music correctly, then "practice" it. Don't practice mistakes because you'll learn them.

Offline ugawoga

« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2022, 05:05:47 PM »
From what i have read the Korg will be more powerful than the Genos

« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2022, 05:40:20 PM »
From what i have read the Korg will be more powerful than the Genos

For me the Korg always had better functions, like the possibility of creating sounds with articulations or the guitar mode to create guitar tracks, but I don’t like the sound quality, and for me all the Korg pa keyboards sounds the same.

Offline ton37

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2022, 07:21:45 PM »
Allow me to let go of my present thoughts on this a bit. A few points that come to my mind:
a. the target group: mostly seniors. This baby boom generation is dying out (sometime financially too). Young people generally choose other brands, or skip the phenomenon of 'keyboard arranger' and compose and play via software variants (soft-synthesizer software)
b. Every keyboard manufacturer has to be very innovative (means: put a lot of money into it) to be able to improve the current top keyboards a lot. For many, a 2nd hand Genos or SX still perfectly meets their needs (if a new one will come)
c. The prices for new generations of keyboards will be quite expensive in the current market environment. One question is whether the older senior still wants to afford that for x-years.
d. In the past, large companies have given up investing in their music/keyboard division (Technics for example?). As a company, Yamaha has many other products, of course. The keyboard division will be only a very small financial security. They can, if the management wants it, just stop developing a new keyboard. A specialist company (eg Korg) has even more reason to exist in this regard.
In other words: Yamaha/Genos can just be E.O.L??

Just my 2 cents ;-)
My best regards,
Ton

« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2022, 09:48:32 PM »
What is E.O.L? I wish people would type stuff out and stop assuming we all know these abbreviations >:(.

Yes, I'm a baby boomer who can still afford a new keyboard and am not too lazy to type out the whole sentence ;D!

Offline tomtomsf

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2022, 10:13:55 PM »
I believe EOL means "end of life". End of the line, end of the road, that's all folks!
 ;)
Tom G.
Tyros 4

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2022, 10:25:15 PM »
Thanks Tom. Finally, someone who isn't too lazy to type the words!!

Offline mikf

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2022, 11:46:55 PM »
Ton - I dont believe that popularity of keyboard playing late in life has anything to do with the baby boomer generation. That’s just coincidence because The baby boomers just happen to be the group around when the technology became available at reasonable cost. I believe it is simply a senior thing and will continue to be popular. And seniors are a huge and constantly growing market segment, living longer and with more money than ever before. There is now more than 2 billion people in the world over 50 years old. It’s not a market that is dying, it can only grow. I don’t know why people keep posting that the demand for easy play keyboards will die out with the current seniors, there is zero evidence that is the case.
As for getting more expensive, also not the case. They are actually getting lower in cost relative to their capability. You might personally think that $4000 is a lot to spend on a TOTL arranger, but the mid level keyboards are now outstanding and at around $1500 not much more than an impulse buy for many of the younger seniors.
Mike

The following users thanked this post: ton37

Offline ton37

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2022, 09:04:55 AM »
What is E.O.L? I wish people would type stuff out and stop assuming we all know these abbreviations >:(.

Yes, I'm a baby boomer who can still afford a new keyboard and am not too lazy to type out the whole sentence ;D!
OK, boomer, I Fr xcus, Ur right.. hate to C it ;D

Don't worry, I won't add any more nonsense to my post  ;). I (and almost everyone) are just guessing. Only Yamaha knows (hopefully?).
One thing I still have to say.... like many here we have donated a considerable amount of capital to Yamaha by buying their keyboards, right? Then why does Yamaha not communicate with its customers, that is not much to ask? E.g. (for example)  to those who have registered there kb (keyboard ;)) on Yamaha's account. Is that the 'arrogance' of power? For the rest I will stop speculating ... and leave it to future time ;-))
My best regards,
Ton

Offline EileenL

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2022, 12:32:28 PM »
We have chosen to spend money on our Yamaha keyboards knowing them to be reliable with great after service. Others may choose to spend there money on other hobbies even Bingo. What ever you choose it will cost you money so why keep complaining about what is and what isn't. If you are enjoying using your choice then surely it is giving you your money's worth.
  Speaking of keyboards I wonder how many actually use all the features we have at our finger tips and I don't mean with the aid of special programmes or computer devices. Just pure keyboard. I keep seeing all these requests for different things to be added but who will really use them.
  Life is very short so enjoy what you have and let the future take its course.

The following users thanked this post: stephenm52

Offline stephenm52

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2022, 12:47:29 PM »
We have chosen to spend money on our Yamaha keyboards knowing them to be reliable with great after service. Others may choose to spend there money on other hobbies even Bingo. What ever you choose it will cost you money so why keep complaining about what is and what isn't. If you are enjoying using your choice then surely it is giving you your money's worth.
  Speaking of keyboards I wonder how many actually use all the features we have at our finger tips and I don't mean with the aid of special programmes or computer devices. Just pure keyboard. I keep seeing all these requests for different things to be added but who will really use them.
  Life is very short so enjoy what you have and let the future take its course.

Plus one, you couldn't have said it any better.
GENOS, SX900, Clavinova CVP 307, Korg Pa4x.........

Steve's Genos Recordings
Steve's Gig Disks

Offline mikf

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2022, 01:22:09 PM »
….. like many here we have donated a considerable amount of capital to Yamaha by buying their keyboards, right? Then why does Yamaha not communicate with its customers, that is not much to ask? E.g. (for example)  to those who have registered there kb (keyboard ;)) on Yamaha's account. Is that the 'arrogance' of power?
Cmon Ton, get real, you can’t really believe this. Like most people here you have probably “donated” considerably more capital to car companies, have they shared their future design plans with you? ;)  ;D
Mike

« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2022, 01:57:39 PM »
No worries, Ton. You keep on speculating along with several other forum members. Meanwhile, I'll download a copy of the most recent urban dictionary with abbreviations and acronyms ;D!

With rumors of a new model, there's always been, and forever will be speculation on its design and new features. It's perfectly normal for people to say, "I hope they put this on the new one" or "I hope it can do this." It's like a little kid a few weeks before Christmas hoping he or she gets a certain toy. People are allowed to dream. In fact, I believe the best musicians are those who allow themselves to dream. What would have happened if Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, and Ronnie Millsap decided they couldn't play piano because of their blindness handicap? There have been some tremendous artists who have improved our lives by overcoming their own incredible odds.

Requesting these extra features is a compliment to Yamaha. Inadvertently, we're saying, "Yamaha can do anything." New features can help expand the musical horizons of those who have the courage to try treading on undiscovered ground. The SA2 voices on the Genos have pushed me to learn how sax, trumpet, guitar, and string players handle their instruments. I got hired by a band because I brought the Genos to the stage with another band and just played the organ, piano, and e.piano voices. The other band's leader came over to me after our show and asked, "What other voices does that keyboard have?" I let him hear the demo tracks for the voices mentioned earlier. He nearly fainted. He also hired me on the spot.

The moral is, I can now play musical parts I was never good enough to play before moving from the T5 to the Genos. Do you get the point? With newer features and improved voices, those with the desire WILL become better players if they are willing to harness those extra features through their own, as of yet, undiscovered abilities. So don't tell people to settle with what they have.

I agree that adding new features to a keyboard will never be a substitute for hard work and a ton of practicing. Those who are happy with the current Genos may not have the need nor the desire to want anything else. That's fine but don't let that idea be the meter stick by which the rest of us measure our limitations. The more Yamaha listens to what we want in the Genos 2, the better players we can become. We'll certainly remain loyal customers and not wander over to Korg or someone else.

Offline mikf

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2022, 02:27:37 PM »
 A forum like this is a focal point for arranger enthusiasts, so we will always see these wish lists of sometimes quite esoteric features.
However, I also think it might be misleading about what is actually happening in the market place. There will be flagship arrangers for some time, and they will incorporate some of those dream features as Lee says.
But as I have said before, I think the bulk of arranger buyers just want to be able to play 'Moon River ' and sound decent, and have little interest in many of these advanced workstation type features. More and more decent quality, but simpler, and lower cost keyboards are becoming available that address this demand, and incorporate the latest easy play and accompaniment technology - without all the frills.
For me the DGX 670 is a perfect example. It has a full 88 piano keyboard, and most of the current arranger technology, or at least the parts that most people need. And  costs less than $1000. The SX700 another example, cheap, easily portable, fits in a bedroom and does most things average buyers need. 
I suspect this is becoming much more important to Yamaha and other manufacturers than the flagship, all singing, all dancing keyboard that Genos represents. They might sell ten or more of these to every one Genos in the future. In a way you could say that these will do to Genos type keyboards what the original PSRs did to the home organ market.
So while I think its likely that a new Korg flagship is about to appear, its also possible that Yamaha will be saying ... so what....
Mike

« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2022, 03:19:36 PM »
Excellent points, Mike. To your thoughts, we may see more of a Genos "meant for geeks" in the next release, while the real bread and butter to Yamaha will remain the lesser keyboards for the Moon River players, as you wrote - great analogy.

I managed a Radio Shack store back in the early 70s. Their business philosophy was to sell bits and pieces like resisters, tubes, cables, etc...to cover the basic overhead. The profit margins were generated by the sale of the larger stuff. Sound familiar?