Author Topic: Expansion Pack Installing my First one  (Read 1775 times)

BOAC

Expansion Pack Installing my First one
« on: May 15, 2022, 04:18:25 AM »
Hello all. I am trying to install some new sounds and styles.
I have got as far as putting it on a USB stick, getting that to the 900 and starting the install routine.

I THEN CANCELLED the operation because of the messages the 900 gave me that are NOT explained in either of the two manuals.

I was adding these three packs from the interent
(the Brazillian Pack 03)
(Fiesta Calliente)
Romance Latino)

I thought they would be ADDED to my 900.
But the messages that keep appearing say that EVERTHING will be lost on the 900.

Page 134 in the Reference Manual is what I'm following
Installing Expansion Pack Data from a USB Flash Drive
Unzipped the packs contains a .ppi and .cpf file which I have loaded into the Yamaha Expansion Manager Software on my PC
After using the software I end up with a folder on my USB PSR-SX900_PackinstallData.cqi  Nothing else
OK so I go to SX900 (in another room) and go through install BUT

Manual says If an Expansion Pack already exists (how would I know ? ?) you can overwrite it with the new one on step 4 below ? ? ?

It says I can restore any preinstalled packs but I want them all available for the same session

What is going on please as usual the Yamaha manuals (all 3 of them) don't explain the process very well.

Many thanks.

Divemaster

Re: Expansion Pack Installing my First one
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 08:03:52 AM »
Hi BOAC

You've pretty well solved it yourself.

You MUST add your existing packs to the new ones that you are trying to install, because the keyboard software deletes the ones that you have on there already.

Nothing to worry about. Just load ALL the packs you want (including the ones that you presently have) ensure that all the files that you want are ticked green, and follow the screen prompts.  Don't forget to format the USB stick so that it has your instrument recognition file before you start.

It took me about 6-8 minutes to load the seven packs that I have on my SX700 and it's exactly the same procedure on your SX900.

Hope that helps.  Somewhere on here, I did quite a big post about this, but i can't find it....I ran into a few problems, but it's given me a very good working knowledge of this procedure now.

Offline ckobu

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2022, 10:25:38 AM »
Hi BOAC

I agree that the Yamaha instructions are poorly written. Fortunately, there are people on the forum who will help you, you have already received a good answer from @Divemaster.

You have to pay attention to different formats and understand that there is a difference between cpg, cpi and cqi. CQI is used to upgrade the Package, but there are certain rules. Watch this video.
https://youtu.be/xj8Anf4B3sY

For a better understanding of handling Packs, you can check out this Playlist.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7D3uE76oiLY1qwImTvUCSw_-W2rigZkv

The video includes an English translation that is activated as subtitles.

Offline EileenL

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2022, 12:12:35 PM »
Make sure that you download the pre installed packs from the Yamaha download site and install these in the YEM. Then you can tick all the boxes of the packs you need and create van install pack. It will format your memory first and then load in all the packs you have selected.

BOAC

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 12:22:55 PM »
Thanks for the advice, one last question.

How do I know what packs, if any, are already installed. I have never installed anything, but there are masses of things in the memory that my dealer may have installed, I would need to ask them. They gave me a USB with loads of things on it, and I may have copied it onto the 900, will these be lost ?

Thanks

Offline EileenL

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2022, 03:38:01 PM »
The SX900 comes with four packs already installed in it. These can be downloaded and put into YEM for re-use.

BOAC

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2022, 05:02:06 PM »
Ah !

Thank you Eileen, would you mind telling what each one is called and where I get them from please.

Thank you.

BOAC

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2022, 05:05:07 PM »
Brain now in gear - Found them - I guess they are these ?
https://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/musical_instruments/keyboards/arranger_workstations/psr-sx900/vse.html
Didnt even know I had them
Thank you for all your help

Offline EileenL

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2022, 11:24:19 AM »
Pleased you are sorted.

Offline manuel

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 01:30:18 AM »
Hello friends

For Expansion Packs installation for the PSR S from 970,770, 975,775, 600, and PSR SX series (Genos and T5), using the YEM, I recommend to use the Packs in PPF and also when you get all the packs you want ready to make, Please, USE only the PPI or CPI.....the CQI  to me, does NOT work properly.....

I have use this for many years and had assisted many players only using this procedure and NEVER fails....

The pre-installed packs you always can recuperate.

Regards

Manuel Dorantes

My 2 Cents

Manuel

Offline manuel

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2022, 01:38:18 AM »
Hello friends

For Expansion Packs installation for the PSR S from 970,770, 975,775, 600, and PSR SX series (Genos and T5), using the YEM, I recommend to use the Packs in PPF and also when you get all the packs you want ready to make, Please, USE only the PPI or CPI.....the CQI  to me, does NOT work properly.....

I have use this for many years and had assisted many players only using this procedure and NEVER fails....

The pre-installed packs you always can recuperate.

Regards

Manuel Dorantes

My 2 Cents

Manuel