Author Topic: SX-900 MIDI file question  (Read 1406 times)

Offline PhotoDoc05

SX-900 MIDI file question
« on: May 11, 2022, 08:28:02 PM »
Hello everyone,
This has been puzzling me for a while now, on the PSR SX-900, when recording a MIDI file.
I've always used "Quick Recording" mode, and save it with a new file name, into a "MIDI files" folder.
All of these files playback correctly as I played and mixed, but only SOME of them display that song's Style name. Others do not!

Am I forgetting to do something? I've noticed the same situation on MIDI files that I downloaded from here on PSRTutorial.
That is, I tap on the screen where it says MIDI, choose a file, and SOME of the files display the Style name, but not all of them.
The Style name of the previous song remains displayed.
Then, I'll try loading another MIDI, and it displays the Style from that particular song!  Any idea on what's going on?
Thanks, Jerry
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline Toril S

Re: SX-900 MIDI file question
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2022, 09:00:47 PM »
This is because only preset styles are linked to the MIDI. If you made a MIDI using a preset style, the keyboard will call up the style when you play the MIDI, provided that you have turned on ACMP. Unfortunately this is not the case when you use external styles.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page

The following users thanked this post: PhotoDoc05

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2022, 11:33:53 PM »
Toril,
Wow, thanks for the quick reply  --- I take it you've run into this yourself???    ;D
I don't think I would have ever figured that one out!

Well, sorry for sour grapes, but that's pretty rotten on the part of Yamaha!! LOL   
I did some quick testing, and yes, I see that a Style from the Preset folder does display, but even a Yamaha style on the USB stick does not get displayed. Wow.

So is that what we're stuck with, or is there any way to work around it?
When you say "External" style, does that mean anything outside of the "Preset" folder?? Or does it mean a style from a USB drive?
"All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware."—Martin Buber

Offline PierreSW

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 08:27:18 AM »
One way to get the style, is to do a registration-memory,
when you are done with the midi file, and give the registration the name of the midi file.

// Pierre
YAMAHA Genos 2, YAMAHA MFC10, Bose L1 II-pa,Mixer T1 ToneMatch, ZUM STEEL.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 12:53:34 PM »
External means any style tha is not preset! Yes, we are stuck with it. I wrote to Yamaha about it, and they suggested using registrations.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline LaHawk

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 04:41:44 PM »
Tori is correct. The keyboard cannot link a midi file with a style, unless a preset style is used for recording the midi. Even then, if a preset style was used, and modified, the midi file will only link to the original preset style, and not any style modifications made for recording.

IMO, it would be difficult, if not impossible, for a keyboard to link a midi file with an external style. That would involve the keyboard to search for the style used (usb, hard drive) before loading the midi. Does any arranger keyboard have that capability?

So yes, as Pierre  stated, save the midi as a registration style. It's all about Registrations
Larry   PSR-SX900
 My You Tube Recordings

Offline EileenL

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 04:50:18 PM »
I always save the third party styles I have used in my Midi song folder am
and sometimes re-name the style to the song title. Can then find them easily. There are always ways round these things.

Offline Toril S

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 05:14:56 PM »
I do that too.
Toril S

and PSR-47.

Offline PhotoDoc05

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 06:17:16 PM »
Thanks to all of you for clarifying this situation, Toril, Pierre, Larry, Eileen!

I see that registrations are the way to solve this.
The thing is, I often experiment temporarily with different styles for a song,
and haven't been rigorously saving them in a registration bank, just in a folder.
Live and learn, great explanations.

Cheers!  Jerry