Author Topic: Left-hand sound stops playing when hitting Intro.  (Read 1295 times)

Offline brucerez

Left-hand sound stops playing when hitting Intro.
« on: May 10, 2022, 05:10:59 PM »
Hi,

While the Left-Hold and Left buttons are on, as soon as I hit one the Intro buttons, the left-hand sound (ex; pad sound) stops playing.
Is there any workaround or setup to avoid this?

Thank you

Offline jwyvern

Re: Left-hand sound stops playing when hitting Intro.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 08:03:37 PM »
Have just tried on Genos and it works as you describe. However if you keep your Left Hand on the chord notes while you select the Intro (instead of relying solely on the Hold button) the LH voice continues to sound.
I don't know if this is a practical work around for you,
John
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 08:15:50 PM by jwyvern »

Offline brucerez

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 11:28:44 PM »
Have just tried on Genos and it works as you describe. However if you keep your Left Hand on the chord notes while you select the Intro (instead of relying solely on the Hold button) the LH voice continues to sound.
I don't know if this is a practical work around for you,
John

Thank you John for your reply.

Indeed I can do it by holding the left hand on the keys and hitting the Intro by the right hand, but unfortunately in this particular section of the song my both hands are busy and it's not practical for me.
Beside that I don't understand why Yamaha designed it that way, they might have their reason but personalty I don't think this is a musical feature.

Offline andyg

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2022, 09:52:48 AM »
I can understand why they designed it that way - I would have done the same had I still been working in R&D at the time.

The reason I can see is that if you're holding, say, a C chord down and hit the Intro, the Left Voice will continue to play the notes that you're physically playing while the Intro (apart from some Intro 1s perhaps) will go through the chord sequence that the programmers came up with, something like C - Am7 - Dm7 - G7 at its simplest. All bar the Am7 would clash with the held C chord. A lot of the Intros are far more complex and would clash more wildly.

I think you're wanting to do something that the majority of players would not want it to do, and there's the age-old problem. You cannot design an instrument or put in a feature for a minority, however useful such a feature  might. Been there in R&D, had a great idea, only to have it turned down as it was a minority request! Resources have to go into what the market demands. Great fun when coming up with new features, I can tell you, and the arguments in the meetings can be fierce.

Just my tuppence worth!
It's not what you play, it's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

www.andrew-gilbert.com

Offline jwyvern

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2022, 11:48:00 AM »
Thank you John for your reply.

Indeed I can do it by holding the left hand on the keys and hitting the Intro by the right hand, but unfortunately in this particular section of the song my both hands are busy and it's not practical for me.
Beside that I don't understand why Yamaha designed it that way, they might have their reason but personalty I don't think this is a musical feature.

I thought you may have that problem. You can if you wish assign a pedal to call in an Intro rather than have to use your hand.
John

The following users thanked this post: brucerez

Offline brucerez

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 02:52:19 AM »
I thought you may have that problem. You can if you wish assign a pedal to call in an Intro rather than have to use your hand.
John
Thanks John for the suggestion.