Author Topic: Tyros 5vs Genos  (Read 4005 times)

Eldred

Tyros 5vs Genos
« on: May 10, 2022, 10:42:06 AM »
Hi all

I am new here. Just wanted to get opinions. Is it worth upgrading from a T5 to a Genos?

I have viewed a few previews but need some input from experienced users please.

Thanks

Oh and p.s.  Any good place where I can find a nice style for Simply the Best - Tina Turner?

Online Fred Smith

Re: Tyros 5vs Genos
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 01:34:38 PM »
I am new here. Just wanted to get opinions. Is it worth upgrading from a T5 to a Genos?

I have viewed a few previews but need some input from experienced users please.

I like:
-- 76 keys
-- weight (even with 76 keys, significantly less than a Tyros)
-- 64Gb user memory
-- voices
-- touchscreen (much more intuitive)
-- playlists
-- songlists
-- 10 registration buttons
-- Search function
-- Song A and song B
-- Chord looper

Hope this helps,
Fred
Fred Smith,
Saskatoon, SK
Sun Lakes, AZ
Genos, Bose L1 compacts, Finale 2015
Check out my Registration Lessons

Offline DerekA

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 02:37:14 PM »
"Worth it" is quite subjective. There are functional improvements, and of course it uses the new touchscreen interface, but it's an expensive upgrade. The best advice is to go to a music store and try one out, keeping in mind what you will use it for.

Personally, I consider Genos - and T5 before it - to be a "premium" product where a certain amount of the price - 25% or more - is charged "just because they can" for the privilege of owning the top model.

If you really want it, and can comfortably afford it, then go for it. In those circumstances, I don't think you would have any regrets. I certainly don't.

But if you would struggle to afford it you may not find it worth it.

Offline pedro_pedroc

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 02:53:32 PM »
Well.

I upgraded from T4 to Genos (never played a T5). Wow, it was a huge upgrade for me - worth every cent (for me). The sound quality is absolutly brighter and the drums are quite awesome. New effects and new interface was great, and I liked more keys mainly to split the keyboard in 3 parts.

I think you may try playing itself before any decision.
About styles, here in this site there are a lot of free styles.

However, for some songs, I create my own custom styles (it's possible to buy them at www.styles4k.com).

Regards,
Pedro Eleutério

Offline ckobu

Watch my video channel

Offline mcbrown

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2022, 05:46:33 AM »
I watched a Genos demonstration at one of my local music shops. I was so impressed I went home and packed up the T5 and returned to the shop and bought the Genos. Never regretted the upgrade.
Murray
Genos + MS01, TouchMix 30 Dig Mixer, Fender Strat & Tele, Cole Clark FL3, Music Man 210 75 and Behringer: FCB1010, B1200D Subs x 2 & B205D f/b spkrs x4, Boss: GT-1 Guitar Fx, Roland: GR-55 Guitar Synth, MAUI 28 G2 & 5 GO x2, Korg EK-50L Arranger, Zoom L-8

Offline ton37

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2022, 07:35:30 AM »
Hi @Eldred, to your question you will get the expected answers, that is of course logical and wellmeaned. In fact, it is nothing more than that you are satisfied with a car of a certain brand. That car still works fine (gets you from a to b without any problems, etc.), but a new car is A. newer and B. has a number of new gadgets. ... sometimes you take a somewhat cheaper version of that new model ... in the end you pay a price for it, but luckily everyone can decide that for themselves. ;)
My best regards,
Ton

Offline Dnj

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2022, 06:10:03 PM »
I might be the odd man out and having both units I lean toward the T5 mostly for the navigational features eg: Tilt display, etc, and some others that adapt better FOR ME and my style of playing. Both units sound amazing, and many Genos styles can certainly be adapted to play brilliantly on the T5 also. Genos also has  weird Button Clicking sounds when pressed try it I never enjoyed that (attached demo). Personal taste and comfortability is the big factor I just feel better playing the T5,.....just my two cents, enjoy what you play.

https://app.box.com/s/i2397wyakfj7ssctqf7f9ncl3iodh4bn
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 09:26:01 PM by Dnj »

Offline Amwilburn

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2022, 06:57:41 PM »
That depends on several things:

If you're going to perform on a stage with spotlights? The T5's tilt screen is superior there; you *can* get a cardboard "screen shield" for the Genos that makes it useable (otherwise the Genos non-tilt screen gets completely washed out).

On the other hand, if you want to put samples in your keyboard (Middle Eastern, Chinese, Indian, etc) the Genos offers 3GB of usable sample space; the T5 you either have to purchased a 512mb, 1Gb or 2Gb expansion card (if they're even still available).

The Genos has superior Piano, Strings, and drums; all future styles will be designed for the Genos drums, they will mostly work on the T5 with a ton of tweaking (fortunately Jorgen has made Revo drum software to do the heavy lifting). The choirs are identical; I believe the organs are as well. So if all you care about is choir or organ, get the T5. With one caveat: the Genos allows live drawbars on all 9 footages; T5 can only handle 8 and you have to keep switching between the 2 lowest.

If piano is *really* important to you, then the Genos piano is much, much clearer (when played through the same monitors, but additionally the Genos 2.1 speaker set is much clearer than the TRSMS05 speaker that the T5 is compatible with).

If you want to really add a lot of sounds; the Genos is the superior choice; even if you find a memory expansion card for the T5, certain sounds just won't load in the T5. For example, while the Indian drums will, none of the instrument voices will.

Finally, the paint *can* rub off the Tyros (yes i've seen it) but it takes very little to make the Genos' case rub from matte to semigloss (particularly around the high touch areas like the volume knob and joystick) and the only way to fix that would be a coat of clear matte (or mask off text and spray matte black, which is a whole other world of pain in the ***).

Oh also the Genos is nearly 10lbs lighter than the T5-76. In fact, it's even lighter than the 61 key Tyroses (Tyrii?)

Mark

Offline Dnj

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2022, 09:11:36 PM »
Thank you for your thoughts but many of what you mentioned I would never use or be concerned with.
As I said in my post I have owned both and mentioned my preferences for my own playing needs.
Sounds & styles can all be tweaked to your liking especially to accompany my singing needs. We all play differently & imo most all top of the line units today are incredible.

Take care
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 09:16:32 PM by Dnj »

Offline Toril S

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2022, 09:40:33 PM »
I have both the Tyros5 and the Genos, and I see the forum friends have given you much good advice. I just wanted to add that the Tyros5 is a 10 year old keyboard, so it is outdated. But it is a good keyboard. As for the operating system, there are many similarities, but also differences. If you are into expansion packs, go for the Genos! I also find the search function on the Genos very helpful. I like the touch screen on the Genos, but some people find it better to use buttons to navigate the screen. You should try both instruments before deciding. There is also the PSR SX900 to consider, it has buttons AND touch screen, but you will not get all the functions of a Genos or Tyros, such as S.art2 voices, ensemble and aftertouch. It all comes down to what music you like to play, budget, and what you think sounds best. Good luck on your keyboard hunt, and welcome to the forum. All the best from Toril in Norway.
Toril S

Genos, Tyros 5, PSR S975, PSR 2100
and PSR-47.
Former keyboards: PSR-S970.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLVwWdb36Yd3LMBjAnm6pTQ?view_as=subscriber

Toril's PSR Performer Page